Palma, Majorca, Spain- BEACH DAY???

My husband and I are are taking a cruise on NCL Epic and our ship is stopping here. We'll be there on a Saturday for about 7 hours. We are really just looking for a relaxing beach day. Maybe some drinks while at the beach.

Can anyone recommend a nice beach that is close to where the port is? Or if it easy/practical to get to a beach.

Can anyone recommend a nice beach that is close to where the port is? Or if it easy/practical to get to a beach.

It's not very big but we enjoyed Platja d'Illetas, which shows at about 1.00 in this

You get there using the No 3 bus from Porto Pi (the vast shopping centre) to Illetas. Takes about 15 minutes. All the best, Tony

Palmanova is where we went. took a cab with the 4 of us for 18 euro each way and paid 18 euro for the 2 chairs with a umbrella. there is a grocery store across the street which has every thing on the cheap (cold bottled water for 27 cents!) and the beach is pretty family oriented with showers and bathrooms. But its not so family oriented that you wont have the typical eourpean beach culture, in case you need to be aware of that. My children had a blast there, the water was safe, the beds were safe and it was a confy ride back to the boat. We did this on the epic about a week ago.

Enjoy. Oh, and make sure you sit in the first table as you walk in on the lower level for Cirque. :)

Thanks vatali! 18 euro sounds pretty good to me. How far was the beach from where the ship docks? Great tip about the store across the street! It's just my husband and I so we aren't too worried about the typical European beach culture haha.

Also great tip at Cirque! Did you pay extra for that table? I've heard there's a fee but it's well worth it. We can start booking dinners on Sunday so that was on my list. Did you eat at any speciality restaurants that you can recommend?

Thanks again!

I want to say it was 15-20 minutes??? I wasn't really paing attention to the. you certainally couldnt see the port in the horizon if that helps. :(.

The taxi driver pointed out the grocery store. its a red building with 1 set of doors. I'm not sure I would have known in was a grocery store has I not been told. When you are at the showers, if you look across the street you can see it on your right, about 1/4 block up. No english there, so brush up on simple spanish. Clearly its for the locals, and not us passers by :)

As for Cirque, we paid the permier seating fee. We also arrived early, like 30 minutes early, and there was still a line when we got there. None of the upstairs had been filled but a majority of the downstairs was populated. we didn't choose the table, but we got really lucky that we got what we did.

If anyone is interested in a tour. We did part of the day and you could still go to the beach.

My husband and I booked a day tour around Majorca while in port from our cruise. We found 2 other couples online to share the tour with us in July, 2013.

Our tour guide was Alex and she was waiting for us when we got off the ship at the prearranged time. She was warm and friendly and began the tour the moment we were seated in the van. We did bus tours and walking tours and picture stops. We saw Palma and Valdemossa. She was knowledgeable, friendly and flexible. She gave great commentary and suggestions. We saw everything that we could possibly see in the amount of time that we had in port. At the end of the tour, I was going to ask to be dropped at a beach and I had left my 'beach bag' in the van all day. At the end of the tour Alex offered to drop us in town or at the pier. Our travel mates decided to go into town, while my husband and I decided to go to the ship. We got off the bus and as we walked towards the terminal, I realized that I had left my 'beach bag' onboard the bus. Panic set in, but long story short, Alex returned to the pier with my bag.

Alex and the coach driver gave us the best day that we could've had in Majorca.

A+ day. Thank you Alex.

My husband and I are are taking a cruise on NCL Epic and our ship is stopping here. We'll be there on a Saturday for about 7 hours. We are really just looking for a relaxing beach day. Maybe some drinks while at the beach.

I have just come off Epic and would recommend a beach day in Palma. You are tired by the time you get there!

We have been before and just took the public bus to town and then went to the beach opposite the ship, but there were lots of taxi drivers around the ship who were clearly willing to take you somewhere. Negotiate to the suggestions given by other posters. The Sea is wonderful. Yes the island is beautiful, but you Are on a holiday in the Med, enjoy doing what the locals do and go to the beach!

We managed to get a swimat all of the ports - becauSe we were not impressed with the ship pool. If you carry plastic shoes to negotiate the rocks you can even swim in Civitaveccia on the way back from the train station

Here in the next link you can find the Mallorca's best beaches:

Hello, I will be in Palma this September, would like to do combination of a tour and a beach. I would like to get recommendatioins for a tour guide, I am sure I will find some other like-minded people who would join so it'll be a small group.

Such great tips and suggestions. Thank you! After all the touring in the different ports before Majorca, we are really looking to just relax. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. We leave on September 4th from Rome. I don't really need to tour around Majorca that day. Just interested in resting and swimming in the ocean.

Ollie- how did you like the Epic compared to Royal Caribbean? I have cruised with both lines and thought both were great. I did think NCL was a little easier for a smaller group and I thought the crowd was a bit younger which was nice for us. My husband will be 27 and I'm 26. Any other tips for the other ports?

• 1 month later...

Hi, we too are looking to head to the beach that day. Maybe do a combo tour/beach day.

If you took a taxi, how did you get back to the boat. Were they plentiful at the beach area, or did you take your cabbie's name and information.

Hi, we too are looking to head to the beach that day. Maybe do a combo tour/beach day.

If you took a taxi, how did you get back to the boat. Were they plentiful at the beach area, or did you take your cabbie's name and information.

At the beach we went to, there was a taxi stand close to the entrance/showers. It was no difficulty getting in one. they all spoke enough english to understand where I was going, and if you tell them the big boat in the harbor, they all know what it is.

• 4 months later...

Es Trenc is not a nudist beach, really. It is a beach with some areas where people tend to be nude. Also in some areas of that beach there's a large concentration of gay people, but again that does not mean it is a gay beach whatsoever.

There's no such thing as a legal nudist beach in Mallorca / Spain. Besides, Es Trenc is a wild beach actually (aside from the bars) and a protected area with no construction near it, that's why it has always been a great space for tolerance and freedom. Since there were no hotels nearby you could be just yourself there. Nowadays it is very popular, so people just go where they feel the most comfortable. Families tend to stay near the Ses Covetes parking area usually. There's another parking area further south which I do not usually go to.

When we go there we always park at Ses Covetes, it is about 6€ per day I think. We go down the beach for about 500 meters from the parking. Very few people nude in there, and more space and tranquillity than near the parking, you also get to see some gorgeous bodies passing by :D (not nude yet). I guess they go to the more nudist / gay area which is bout 1Km down the beach from Ses Covetes.

It is one of the best beaches of the Mediterranean and a truly Mallorca classic. You should hire a car and drive there.

Edited by Elmartellama

Location: (last year they destroyed an illegal housing project that is seen on the map, so it's even better now)

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/place/Ses+Covetes,+Illes+Balears,+Espanya/@39.351802,2.9727501,1310m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x1297a8da199b2197:0x774cd9a968cb2795

Edited by Elmartellama

• 2 weeks later...

I would also consider an alternate plan in case the weather does not cooperate.

We went out to the far end of the island and did the cave tour. I would recommend doing the non Jules Verne caves.... but even if you ended up in this one, some of the stuff is just plain strange, but the caves are fabulous.

We also hit a mall across from the Port and did some shopping...

From early june to early september almost every single day is cloudless and sunny.

You can plan alternatives, but even if it rains you can still enjoy the city which is very close to the port, since it is unlikely that it rains all day long.

• 2 weeks later...
Es Trenc is not a nudist beach, really. It is a beach with some areas where people tend to be nude. Also in some areas of that beach there's a large concentration of gay people, but again that does not mean it is a gay beach whatsoever.

There's no such thing as a legal nudist beach in Mallorca / Spain. Besides, Es Trenc is a wild beach actually (aside from the bars) and a protected area with no construction near it, that's why it has always been a great space for tolerance and freedom. Since there were no hotels nearby you could be just yourself there. Nowadays it is very popular, so people just go where they feel the most comfortable. Families tend to stay near the Ses Covetes parking area usually. There's another parking area further south which I do not usually go to.

When we go there we always park at Ses Covetes, it is about 6€ per day I think. We go down the beach for about 500 meters from the parking. Very few people nude in there, and more space and tranquillity than near the parking, you also get to see some gorgeous bodies passing by :D (not nude yet). I guess they go to the more nudist / gay area which is bout 1Km down the beach from Ses Covetes.

It is one of the best beaches of the Mediterranean and a truly Mallorca classic. You should hire a car and drive there.

Do you know if the beach called "Es Caragol" that appears in the video

it is near to the "es Carbo" also in the video?

"Es Caragol" and "Es Carbo" beaches are very close, but they are located along an 8km long virgin coast area that goes from Colonia de Sant Jordi to the Ses Salines cape (the very south of the island). There isn't any kind of road infrastructure in between them, just pure and unspoiled nature.

You have to take into account that in the south of the island there are 22km of virgin coast with the only exception of Colonia de Sant Jordi. In the north of Colonia de Sant Jordi there is the famous "Es Trenc" beach. In the south of it there are several beaches, among them the "Es Carbo" beach. Further south you'll find "Es Caragol".

Both Es Carbo and Es Caragol are not directly accessible by car. You have to walk about one hour to get to them. There is nothing human made in those beaches. No lifeguard, no parking, no shade, no buildings.

So first, please consider choosing an alternative if you or any of your travel mates are not able to tolerate walking under the sun, on the sand, for one hour each way. The Mediterranean in summer is real hot. If you want to avoid these beaches I suggest Es Trenc beach, since it is nice enough and you can park nearby.

Also, in case you have problems with nudity, be warned that since you are entering wild territory (specially at Es Caragol beach) people will be just nude if they feel like, of course in a polite respectful way. Some people may be nude while others may not. You shouldn't be bothered by this because the beaches are wide and you can be far from the others being nude, but on your long way to the beach you are likely to encounter nude people.

In my case, even if I never do nudity in Mallorca, I went once to Es Caragol beach and I happily went nude since it was quite empty. It just felt natural and awesome.

A bit more info. You may also check this useful link for alternatives: http://www.platgesdebalears.com

Es Carbo

ima_foto9364.jpg

pla_plano11575.gif

To reach Es Carbo you have to drive to the Colonia de Sant Jordi, park around the marina there and then walk south along the beach. There are several nice enough beaches first, but the real deal is located further so you'll have to walk a bit more.

Google map this. It's 55km and 45 minutes, not bad. Add the 1 hour walk to go and the other 1h to go back.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.5540632,2.6239255/Col%C3%B2nia+de+Sant+Jordi,+Illes+Balears,+Espanya/@39.4956499,2.6669876,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297a9a1451c4117:0x61f287259733b60e!2m2!1d2.9927778!2d39.3166667!3e0

Check this:

http://www.platgesdebalears.com/caplaibFront/playa_basico.en.jsp?cPla=64002&cMun=2&cIsl=MA

Es Caragol

ima_foto2987.jpg

pla_plano11702.gif

To go to Es Caragol beach you have to reach the very south "Ses Salines" cape, where there is a lovely lighthouse. The parking at the lighthouse might be hard depending on the season, so you have to walk further.

Once you reach the lighthouse, just turn to your right and take the northwest bound path along the sea. Keep walking for about an hour (might be less if you are fit). You can't get lost, just go by the sea.

The scenery is fantastic, and you will see the Cabrera National Park archipelago at all times in the distance. The path is easy, rocky and dotted with mediterranean bushes and low forest, while the sea is turquoise. Very romantic indeed.

Google map the link below. It's 65km and 67 minutes. Add the 1 hour walk to go and the other 1h to go back.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.5540632,2.6239255/Faro+ses+salines,+Mallorca,+PM-610,+Illes+Balears,+Espanya/@39.3757282,2.8749808,11z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297008959ebd157:0x9f4a73be737dbe58!2m2!1d3.053344!2d39.265409!3e0

Check this:

http://www.platgesdebalears.com/caplaibFront/playa_comollegar.en.jsp?cPla=65018&cMun=1&cIsl=MA

Edited by Elmartellama