Mediterranean in November, weather ???

Tee'D-Up

Me and my wife are in the early stages of planning a mediterranean cruise next November. Our research shows that this is the wet season over their. Has anybody cruised the Mediterranean at this time in the past and how was the weather?

I cruised the eastern Med in mid-November 2006 and we had excellent weather -- not too cool or too warm and very little rain. However, weather is unpredictable and you definitely have a better chance of rain than most other months. It can be cool in the more northern ports (Venice, Istanbul, for example).

I would highly recommend November as the crowds are quite small compared to the spring, summer, and early fall. Dress in layers and carry a light rain jacket and you will be fine. Just don't count on beach weather.

We cruised from Venice to Rome for 12 days in late November, 2007. The days were mostly pleasant. We had highs of 70 or so in Corfu & Valletta. 60 or so elsewhere. Only rainy day was in Ravenna. It was quite windy and 50 or so in Genoa.

I just did roundtrip Barcelona November 18th, 12 days on NCL Jade - Morocco, Canary Islands, Gilbraltar, Spain, Lisbon. The weather was great and perfect for touring - mostly sunny or light overcast and in the 60's, dropping down at night. We had one day of light rain. Warmest was Morocco - in the 70's - and Canary Islands.

Of the 12 days we had about 4 with rough seas (12-18') but it didn't interfere with shipboard activities. I took Bonine and Ginger capsules and never got sick. We missed one port (Mallorca) due to high winds the port was closed, so we pressed on to our final destination (Barcelona) at the end of the cruise. It was disappointing but we had a great time overall.

Wife and I took a Thanksgiving cruise to eastern Med (Greek Isle) last Thanksgiving. Was worried that weather would be too cold (or too warm for the clothing we brought). Turns out we had nothing to worry about. The weather and temperature fluctuated throughout the 10 days, from warm (mid-70's) and sunny, to cool (mid-50's) and rainy. We brought along about half short-sleeved shirts and half long-sleeve shirts, with long pants (one pair of shorts just in case, but didn't really need them). Wrought along a light jacket with liner (windbreaker would have been too light) and a couple of polor fleeces. Wife brought light gloves and ear muffs (she's always cold) and luckily we brough along a hat for light rain days. Guess best recommendation is to bring along a little clothing for each end of the autum spectrum (think east coast type fall weather). We had done a Western Med (Barcelona to Venice) the year before during summer and BOY was it hot. We're so glad we went during the fall since there were very few cruise ships at our ports of call, and we heard HORROR stories about how bad it was in the summer. Hope this helps!

Archived