What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

I am 47 and just recently divorced and letting life fly by, but I have booked a B2B on Epic in a studio next year and really looking forward to going cruising again.

My first cruise was on a Singles Cruise and have to say was very disappointed with the whole situation. There was lots of cliques and they rarely let 'outsiders' in their group so by day 4 I had had enough and did my own thing. Joined some sponsored events but otherwise came and went as I saw fit.

It has been 3 yrs since I have cruised..

I am 47 and just recently divorced and letting life fly by, but I have booked a B2B on Epic in a studio next year and really looking forward to going cruising again.

My first cruise was on a Singles Cruise and have to say was very disappointed with the whole situation. There was lots of cliques and they rarely let 'outsiders' in their group so by day 4 I had had enough and did my own thing. Joined some sponsored events but otherwise came and went as I saw fit.

It has been 3 yrs since I have cruised..

Wow ! :eek: that is good to know that single's cruises are not always the most friendly. I've cruised solo 15 times but have never done a single's cruise package. I've somewhat had it on my bucket list "assuming" that it would be one open inclusive group. That's what this single/solo really wants is a group of friends to hang with, not a "hook-up" :D

So was the single's cruise a bunch of shallow hook-ups ? :confused:

and by the way...enjoy your B2B cruise on the Epic. Sounds fun ! :)

Edited by Thoth

Wow ! :eek: that is good to know that single's cruises are not always the most friendly. I've cruised solo 15 times but have never done a single's cruise package. I've somewhat had it on my bucket list "assuming" that it would be one open inclusive group. That's what this single/solo really wants is a group of friends to hang with, not a "hook-up" :D

So was the single's cruise a bunch of shallow hook-ups ? :confused:

and by the way...enjoy your B2B cruise on the Epic. Sounds fun ! :)

Thanks Thoth. I am looking forward to NOT leaving after 7 days.

I am sure there was some hooking up, but it seemed more a group of friends travelling together, taking advantage of the company's events but really just hanging with themselves

I don't think I am allowed to mention the name but it is one of the two most talked about companies to cater to singles

Here's my story:

My first cruise was in May 2009 and I loved it so much I went on another one in November 2009 (both to the Caribbean.) For the past couple years I have been trying with no luck to get one of my friends to sail with me. I finally decided I don't have to be coupled up or have a cabin mate to cruise, so I am going to start taking two cruises a year - just because it's what I like to do and I want to.

I am a business analyst in IT for a hospitality company and have been single for 11 years. I'm a Nana to two beautiful granddaughters and have another grandchild due any day, but this one is modest - we do not know the gender.

I live in Mississippi and would like to connect with other people who live in Mississippi and people who like to cruise out of New Orleans.

Looking forward to connecting with people.

Thanks Thoth. I am looking forward to NOT leaving after 7 days.

I am sure there was some hooking up, but it seemed more a group of friends travelling together, taking advantage of the company's events but really just hanging with themselves

I don't think I am allowed to mention the name but it is one of the two most talked about companies to cater to singles

Everybody hates to get off after one week :( On a two week vacation one can take some rest up days in between I would think. Not so rush rush :)

I can take an educated guess on that company. They do charge more it seems, which means I probably will never do a singles cruise. When i can book directly with the cruise-line, why should I pay twice ? Considering that I require a single room...more cost on those single's cruises.

Here's my story:

My first cruise was in May 2009 and I loved it so much I went on another one in November 2009 (both to the Caribbean.) For the past couple years I have been trying with no luck to get one of my friends to sail with me. I finally decided I don't have to be coupled up or have a cabin mate to cruise, so I am going to start taking two cruises a year - just because it's what I like to do and I want to.

I am a business analyst in IT for a hospitality company and have been single for 11 years. I'm a Nana to two beautiful granddaughters and have another grandchild due any day, but this one is modest - we do not know the gender.

I live in Mississippi and would like to connect with other people who live in Mississippi and people who like to cruise out of New Orleans.

Looking forward to connecting with people.

Hi Lisa ! :) I'm Wayne and I live on the other end of Mississippi...Petal near Hattiesburg, so understandably my first two cruises were from New Orleans. I've also done a Carnival cruise from Mobile. Since I prefer history/culture and nature, Alaska and New England/Canada are my favorite cruise destinations. I recently returned from the Sapphire Princess along the California coast. The big city ambiance of LA, San Francisco, and San Diego was lots of fun. Catalina were quite scenic, Santa Barbara had some neat historical buildings.

If you are a baseball fan, congratulations to Southaven and Lewisburg for winning state championships for Desoto County ;)

Also congratulations "Nana" for grandchild #3 :D I have no kids of my own but I do have two nieces ( 4 & 8) so I understand how young children makes us feel.

Hi Lisa ! :) I'm Wayne and I live on the other end of Mississippi...Petal near Hattiesburg, so understandably my first two cruises were from New Orleans. I've also done a Carnival cruise from Mobile. Since I prefer history/culture and nature, Alaska and New England/Canada are my favorite cruise destinations. I recently returned from the Sapphire Princess along the California coast. The big city ambiance of LA, San Francisco, and San Diego was lots of fun. Catalina were quite scenic, Santa Barbara had some neat historical buildings.

If you are a baseball fan, congratulations to Southaven and Lewisburg for winning state championships for Desoto County ;)

Also congratulations "Nana" for grandchild #3 :D I have no kids of my own but I do have two nieces ( 4 & 8) so I understand how young children makes us feel.

Thanks, Thoth! She didn't go into labor this weekend, so it will be this week for sure. If she hasn't had the baby by Thursday they will induce.

I have friends in Hattiesburg and remember seeing signs for Petal when we went to Orange Beach a couple years ago.

I haven't cruised out of New Orleans yet. My first cruise was out of Mobile, and the second one was out of Tampa. I don't mind flying somewhere to cruise as long as I can get the airfare at a good deal.

There are two cruises on my must do list: Alaska and Canada/New England. I need to research the best times to do those. Canada/NE I know would be in the Fall. Not sure about Alaska; maybe May or June?

I have two cruises for later this year picked out: December 14 five day cruise to the Caribbean and New Year's Eve cruise. I've always wanted to do the NYE thing and never have. I'm just gonna do it! I'll be booking those within the next couple weeks.

Hi Wayne. I am going to be on the Sapphire at the end of Sept. cruising from Vancouver down to LA stoping at many of the same ports. I am glad to hear you enjoyed those ports because I wasn't that sure about them. I hope to sail out of New Orleans next year because I have never been to NOLA and I am a big Jazz fan.

Thanks, Thoth! She didn't go into labor this weekend, so it will be this week for sure. If she hasn't had the baby by Thursday they will induce.

I have friends in Hattiesburg and remember seeing signs for Petal when we went to Orange Beach a couple years ago.

I haven't cruised out of New Orleans yet. My first cruise was out of Mobile, and the second one was out of Tampa. I don't mind flying somewhere to cruise as long as I can get the airfare at a good deal.

There are two cruises on my must do list: Alaska and Canada/New England. I need to research the best times to do those. Canada/NE I know would be in the Fall. Not sure about Alaska; maybe May or June?

I have two cruises for later this year picked out: December 14 five day cruise to the Caribbean and New Year's Eve cruise. I've always wanted to do the NYE thing and never have. I'm just gonna do it! I'll be booking those within the next couple weeks.

We in Petal now have our own interstate exit on I-59...exit #69. We are moving up in the world :p LOL

I've done Alaska 3 times, twice in September once in July. May and Sept are shoulder season and generally cheaper that June, July, or August. Last Sept the temperatures were in the 50's but we did have some rain, then again I encounter cold rain in July also.

Canada/New England is a summer and fall thing, but prices generally go up in fall when the colors change. for me at least, it was pleasant in Sept and cold in May.

That NYE cruise sounds like so much fun ! ;)

Hi Wayne. I am going to be on the Sapphire at the end of Sept. cruising from Vancouver down to LA stoping at many of the same ports. I am glad to hear you enjoyed those ports because I wasn't that sure about them. I hope to sail out of New Orleans next year because I have never been to NOLA and I am a big Jazz fan.

I think I'm booked on that same itinerary for Sept. 2014 :cool: Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, LA ?

here are a few photos from the California Coast cruise. San Francisco and Santa Barbara are repeat ports but that is OK. Plenty to see in the bay area :)

I think Carnival might have cut back on their New orleans departures. I've not seen as many 7 day cruises. :(

Wayne

1147377004_Copy(2)ofIMG_0007.jpg.1f8542e6fab63f9bc77408b2dfecd9ff.jpg

1856100954_Copy(2)ofIMG_0014.jpg.dd6bc69a7d3941177e8efd88c24c4831.jpg

53212426_Copy(2)ofIMG_0035.jpg.1f12ca468c9944979f99af6afdb1d084.jpg

33913416_Copy(2)ofIMG_0048.jpg.f80dc4a3bfc86a4ff8f65d43022d9049.jpg

2082353945_CopyofIMG_0041.jpg.77bc2148c22a19f5ef664660d163beef.jpg

Edited by Thoth

My first time in NOLA , I cruised in on the Carnival Sensation for the day, a few years later , I cruised out of NOLA on the Carnival Fantasy on a solo cruise....had a Great time!!

New Orleans is a lot of fun to cruise from for sure. The sights are memorable such as the French Quarter and the Chalmette Battlefield...which is below the river. :eek:

Hello fellow solo travelers -- I just got back from my first solo cruises. I did LA to Vancouver on NCL's Jewel, then Vancouver to Seward on RC's Radiance. I had a great time -- though different from traveling with the hubby (he passed away a year ago). I met so many wonderful and interesting people and saw so many awesome sights.

Thoth and Lisa - I used to live in Hattiesburg -- many wonderful Mississippi memories. I'm a grandmamma too; I celebrated my 54th birthday on my recent cruise. The new friends I made on board made it so special-- with champagn, cake, and a special dinner. As I said-- so many wonderful people!

The only thing I didn't like was having to leave those new friends after 7 days and start all over, maybe a good reason to book longer cruises. --- Julie

Hello fellow solo travelers -- I just got back from my first solo cruises. I did LA to Vancouver on NCL's Jewel, then Vancouver to Seward on RC's Radiance. I had a great time -- though different from traveling with the hubby (he passed away a year ago). I met so many wonderful and interesting people and saw so many awesome sights.

Thoth and Lisa - I used to live in Hattiesburg -- many wonderful Mississippi memories. I'm a grandmamma too; I celebrated my 54th birthday on my recent cruise. The new friends I made on board made it so special-- with champagn, cake, and a special dinner. As I said-- so many wonderful people!

The only thing I didn't like was having to leave those new friends after 7 days and start all over, maybe a good reason to book longer cruises. --- Julie

Sorry for your loss, Julie. Going on your first solo cruise was a big step. Glad you had a great time and your new friends made it special.

In what part of the country do you live now? Maybe we'll end up on the same cruise some day. You never know!

I think I'm booked on that same itinerary for Sept. 2014 :cool: Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, LA ?

here are a few photos from the California Coast cruise. San Francisco and Santa Barbara are repeat ports but that is OK. Plenty to see in the bay area :)

I think Carnival might have cut back on their New orleans departures. I've not seen as many 7 day cruises. :(

Wayne

If you were going on the Sapphire Princess at the end of Sept. this year going one way, Vancouver to L.A., then we would be on the very same cruise. I suppose that the ship does this itinerary once each year. Carnival has three ships that I know of that cruise from NOLA - the Elation that does 4 & 5 day cruises, the Conquest that does 7 day cruises until November and the Sunshine that will do 7 day cruises when it gets there in the Fall. Is that cutting back? Were there more than two Carnival ships with a homeport at NOLA before? I would like to go on the Sunshine next year but not to the Bahamas again. The Sept. Sapphire cruise will be the first cruise (out of 7) that I have ever taken that does not stop at Nassau.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I work in Hattiesburg...small world :)

It does break the heart to say goodbye to all those friends after a week's cruise. The thing is...I'll make new friends on that next cruise ;)

If you were going on the Sapphire Princess at the end of Sept. this year going one way, Vancouver to L.A., then we would be on the very same cruise. I suppose that the ship does this itinerary once each year. Carnival has three ships that I know of that cruise from NOLA - the Elation that does 4 & 5 day cruises, the Conquest that does 7 day cruises until November and the Sunshine that will do 7 day cruises when it gets there in the Fall. Is that cutting back? Were there more than two Carnival ships with a homeport at NOLA before? I would like to go on the Sunshine next year but not to the Bahamas again. The Sept. Sapphire cruise will be the first cruise (out of 7) that I have ever taken that does not stop at Nassau.

I'm on the Crown Princess next year Vancouver to LA.

I have not inquired too much into Carnival's sailings, but I did do a search and could only find 4 or 5 day cruises from New Orleans. They must have updated the website since I last visited. :)

Hi everyone! I'm Rob, 48 and single. I've been on 4 cruises and all but the first have been solo. After the first cruise I was hooked, and even though I can't find anyone else who wants to cruise I'm not going to let that stop me!

I was a bit worried about cruising by myself since I'm kind of an introvert, but traveling alone forces me to break out of that. When I'm on a cruise I find it so much easier to be more outgoing, to meet new people, do new things, etc. I had a great time on my first solo cruise and each new cruise has been better than the last.

I celebrated my 54th birthday on my recent cruise. The new friends I made on board made it so special-- with champagn, cake, and a special dinner.

There were two special dinners, if I remember correctly... ;)

I was recently on the NCL Jewel where I met Julie and a lot of other wonderful people. It was such an amazing week, I just didn't want it to end. Now I have to wait until October for my next cruise. Being with family again on my next cruise will be nice, but it won't be quite the same as going solo. I have a week off in July with no plans, so maybe I'll be able to squeeze in another solo cruise...

Hi everyone! I'm Rob, 48 and single. I've been on 4 cruises and all but the first have been solo. After the first cruise I was hooked, and even though I can't find anyone else who wants to cruise I'm not going to let that stop me!

I was a bit worried about cruising by myself since I'm kind of an introvert, but traveling alone forces me to break out of that. When I'm on a cruise I find it so much easier to be more outgoing, to meet new people, do new things, etc. I had a great time on my first solo cruise and each new cruise has been better than the last.

There were two special dinners, if I remember correctly... ;)

I was recently on the NCL Jewel where I met Julie and a lot of other wonderful people. It was such an amazing week, I just didn't want it to end. Now I have to wait until October for my next cruise. Being with family again on my next cruise will be nice, but it won't be quite the same as going solo. I have a week off in July with no plans, so maybe I'll be able to squeeze in another solo cruise...

Going solo has not stopped me...15 and counting :) Sometimes I think it is better that way.

It looks like I will be doing a solo cruise this year. I've gone on solo vacations several times but this will be my first solo cruise. No one else can go and I just don't want to wait anymore!! lol I have wanted to go to Egypt since I was a kid. I wanted to go on this cruise for my 35th birthday and had all the money saved up. I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer in 2009 and went through 6 months of treatments. It's gone now!!! I was fiercely independant before I got sick (moved out of state on my own, bought a house on my own) and that all went away after I got sick. The surgeries and treatments knocked me down and this cruise is a way to pick myself back up and find that feisty chick again. I admit I'm a little nervous going on my own and I've never been out of the country before, but I am also really excited and since the cruise isn't for 9 more months, that's 9 months to heal a bit more and plan everything out. It's very encouraging to read the threads from people who have gone solo and had a blast. Oh, and this summer I'll be 36 so I am only off by one year!!!

Congratulations on beating CA, I hope you make it on you cruise this year, sounds like this is exactly what you need!!!

Margie

Hi, I'm Margie 55, I'm divorced, cruised with my daughters and my sister in the past. I am now booked on NCL Breakaway for August 4th 2013, this will be my 5th cruise but my first solo, I am really excited. Any tips anyone?

Happy cruising to all