What to do in Guadeloupe for a day

LBJ at sea

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week. As soon as you get off the ship there's an information kiosk where they speak English, we obtained a map from there. Also there are several stalls selling gifts and plenty of taxi drivers ready to take you where you want. We opted for a beach day, and were lucky to find a driver that spoke some English, mostly speak only French. The tourist information girl suggested St Anne beach. The taxi driver had a van and we were 2 adults and a kid. He found another 3 couple that were going to the same beach and charged us Euro 40 for each couple with return transfer. When we got there he preferred that all the group returns at the same time but all the others opted to stay until 5pm and we wanted to get to the ship earlier so he took us at 2pm and went to pick up the others later. St Anne is a nice beach. The water is very clear and clean. You can rent deck chairs but no umbrellas, though there are several trees along the beach if you want any shade. There are several restaurants and plenty of souvenir shops and stalls. It's more like a beach town. There were many French tourists on the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the St. Anne beach is realy very nice for beach days. It is possible to take a bus from La Darse bus station - ask for it people in the La Darse square /10 minutes walk from pier/ for 2,80 Euro /one way. / they go very often all day long. To the station you will go around church, constructed by Eiffel. Worth to visit for a few minutes to see his construction. The way lasts around 30 minutes

The beach in St. Anne is white with soft sand and calm clear water, beach bars and stalls. Not many vendors - all of them nonaggresive and polite. The bus station back is 250 m from beach in square at the left side of church in St. Anne.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want a day on the beach, the city at the port is interesting to walk around and look at. Get the free map when you get off the ship. There is a produce and fish market straight ahead, and another straw/spice market in a square a few blocks away - both are clearly marked on the map as "Marche" (with an accent mark on the final e).

There is a church designed by Eiffel (who designed the Eiffel tower) near the produce market. It's open to the public, but be respectful inside, as people are praying. But very interesting, as you can see the same Eiffel girders inside that church. A little odd so far away from Paris.

The citizens of Guadaloupe are a bit formal and French. So don't expect them to be all glad-handing and talky-talky. Not surprising - it's their way.

The streets are all clearly marked on the sides of buildings at every intersection. Drivers are respectful and careful about pedestrians.

• 6 months later...

Anything new here, as I will be there with Costa Fortuna this december ?

I wonder if the local tourist people are only distributing the maps or if there is an accual stand or office, where they can help us with booking a tour.

Or are there local people who will be happy to take you on an accual tour or

are there "only" taxi driver around?

Thanks for some answer.

(by the way my mother speaks some French!)

Edited by onyx007

• 4 months later...

I now just returned from Gouadeloupe.

I finally booked beforehand a tour with a German speaking guide, but there were several local people at the pier, were I'm sure one or the other would have spoken english...

We went to see a Waterfall (Chute du Crévisse) and a rum distillery on the "Basse-Terre"-part of the Island But then we went also to the other part of the island and drove to St.Anne and the Castle Point. It took us 7 hours and the cost was 195 Euro for the three of us (to give you a price to expect). You should have Euros with you (the might except US, but they will be much happier with Euros).

For more informations (or if you speak german, I could even give to the

homepage and e-mail of our guide) just write me.

Gouadeloupe is probably one of the safest, richest and cleanest islands in the caribbean.

GO OUT AND EXPLORE this beautiful Island.

It is very easy to rent a car, starting at 45 Euros plus 1.46 Euro/litre gasoline. many rent a car kiosks just 400 metres from cruise dock.

Yeah, you always can do that, but you need to know beforehand where to go and which way you have to go to reach your target. It's no use to have a rental car, if you don't know what there is to see...!