Guadeloupe

travelingtrish

You stayed on the ship and never got off it at all. Everything you report is second-hand information - you did nothing to verify anything you were told. I'm sorry to say this, but all you're reporting is malicious gossip.

After our day in Guadaloupe I went to Guest Relations on Brilliance to ask directly whether there was information that could confirm any of the reports that Pointe a Pitre was dangerous, dirty or unpleasant. The staff member I spoke to said the port is fine, but she found it "boring." To each his own. We were there, walked all around and had a very good, interesting day. There was nothing threatening, dishonest or devious about the local people. We were much more harassed in Antigua and St Lucia than we were in Pointe a Pitre.

We were there. You were not. Take what I've said for what you will.

I said upfront that what I was writing was second hand. I don't know why all of these people would lie and I don't think they did. I'm glad you had a good time on the island. I'm glad we didn't get off of the boat. We had a lovely day. I think people have a right to hear all sides of any issue and then they can make their own decision. Sorry you disagree.

Ah. And I wonder why the Cruise Director would recommend that you only take the ship's excursions? Pretty darned two-faced, if you ask me.

I don't know what's two-faced. They always encourage you to take the ship's excursions but this was much more of a definite warning type of thing. Obviously, by what she said they worried about the safety of the passengers.

As I said, I'm glad you had a good experience. Each person can make his/her own decision of what to do or not do.

The point is, tiessa, that nobody in all your stories actually came to any harm. You claimed some big strong guy turned around and came back to the ship after walking one block. You cited some confusing story about a miscommunication with a taxi driver about a mistaken destination and a misunderstood fare - that could have been a miscommunication either way. You said some young women "thought" three guys were following them and fled for the ship in a taxi.

If you, tiessa, had actually set foot on land in Pointe a Pitre, you might understand how unlikely it could be that anyone would be in danger there. There were all kinds of people crowding along all the sidewalks. Many people from the cruise ship. Many well-dressed and dignified citizens. Many affluent people in cars sitting in the permanent traffic jams that apparently characterize Pointe a Pitre. I tell you sincerely, if any bandits or rapists had jumped anyone from the ship, there were a hundred people nearby on every street.

But you know better, even though you never got off the ship.

Really, tiessa, you think RCI would arrange to dock at a port and only later find out it was risky to let 2,400-odd tourists off the ship? You think the cruise line would mistakenly expose their passengers to a dangerous environment? Hardly. These people check everything out beforehand.

No, actually what happened, I think, is that RCI lucked into a dandy little profit maker. They dock in a port they know is quite fine and let the rumour mongers scare the bejabbers out of people. RCI is then only too happy to book all these terrified people into their overpriced excursions. Yep, I call that two-faced.

You're right. Each person can make a decision about what to do. You made a decision not to get off the ship and then warn people off a place you have no experience of.

Really, tiessa, you think RCI would arrange to dock at a port and only later find out it was risky to let 2,400-odd tourists off the ship? You think the cruise line would mistakenly expose their passengers to a dangerous environment? Hardly. These people check everything out beforehand.

No, actually what happened, I think, is that RCI lucked into a dandy little profit maker. They dock in a port they know is quite fine and let the rumour mongers scare the bejabbers out of people. RCI is then only too happy to book all these terrified people into their overpriced excursions. Yep, I call that two-faced.

You're right. Each person can make a decision about what to do. You made a decision not to get off the ship and then warn people off a place you have no experience of.

I guess being a reader and doing research before I visit a strange island makes no sense to you but it does to me. I research and then make a thoughtful decision as to what I am comfortable doing. Do a little research. The last I will say on this topic to you is that Guadaloupe has France's highest crime rate. The highest crime rate on the island is in Pointe-a-Pitre. The highest crime rate in Point-a-Pitre is around the docks. The crimes are petty but no one wants to experience any kind of crime on vacation.

My point is to be aware not to not visit the island...just be aware as you always should be.

My FIRSTHAND, PERSONAL experience with the people of Guadaloupe is they are very rude. We had 2 groups of 300 on board over the length of the cruise. They would not look at anyone, would not smile, would not speak, would not move over in the hallways, would cut in front of people at the buffet and the elevators, would literally run into people if they were in their way. I can't imagine that the people on the island were much different.

Our waiter, the night we were in Guadaloupe, said tomorrow we would be in Antigua and we would like it...it was nothing like Guadaloupe. When someone in front of us mentioned to the greeeter in the Windjammer that they never used the Purelle, the greeter said that they were from Guadaloupe and they did what they wanted to and didn't do what they didn't want to do.

As I said before, glad you had a good experience. Glad we had a lovely day on the ship. I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe cruise.

I'm posting this in every Guadeloupe thread, as I have just returned. Please do not be afraid of this port. We loved Pointe a Pitre.

Just back from our Feb 2 cruise on Brilliance, with a one-day stop at Guadeloupe. We had a fine DIY day in Pointe a Pitre, no danger, no problems, no hassles. We began by getting off the ship and picking up the map from the local tourist people almost as soon as we got off and before we even walked down the pier. The map is very accurate, and the Guadeloupe tourism folks are very helpful with info and advice, in English if you wish.

Since I was very interested in buying local madras fabric and spices, we first went to one of the ATMs marked clearly on the map. We chose in instructions for the ATM "in English" and were able to easily withdraw Euros in the amount we wanted. I looked carefully at the ATM to see if there were any suspicious hardware add-ons, but it looked just fine. The withdrawal process prompted us to shield our password. We have received no notifications of bogus charges afterward, so it's safe to do this in Guadeloupe.

Pointe a Pitre is easy to figure out as you walk along with the map. We easily found the market and had a good time looking at the produce and spices, with no harassment from vendors. That produce market then opens out to the fish market, where we had a good time watching the pelicans clustering around for leftovers. Within sight was a big square, with huge ancient trees and some history. Right near that (within sight) is the church designed by Eiffel, and that was certainly worth a look inside, although it's a working church, with people praying and going to confession, so we didn't barge around talking loudly.

From the church we were a little confused about which direction to go, so just headed generally back toward where the ship was and within a block or so found ourselves in another handsome square, with the spice/art market arranged in the middle under canvas awnings. But first, we sank into chairs under umbrellas in one of the cafes on the edge of the square to order ice-cold Cokes that came in the can, and use the restaurant's very clean toilet. This was my hubby's Waterloo, as two doors down was a fabric store, which I dragged him into. Here we were surrounded by many local sewing women matching their fabric swatches to zippers, threads, and trims, with narrow aisles between many bolts and rolls of fabrics. I was bewitched by the gorgeous madras plaids in rainbows of colours - plus my dilemma - what would I make from the fabric if I bought some of it? No problem, a saleswoman suggested I could easily make a tablecloth and helped me pick out a handsome plaid! Sold.

Back out on the square in the spice market, we found a big handful of vanilla beans in their pods, local curry, and really nice little variety packs of spices. Bought a whole buncha souvenir n gift spices for 20 Euros, and had just enough energy to walk back to the ship. Still had $45 Euros left, so made a deal with a vendor to buy three of those gorgeous big beach wraps that look like nothing I've ever seen in the Caribbean anywhere else.

The negative reports about Guadeloupe and Pointe a Pitre are false, and have attained an unfortunate urban legend status on CC. This port is clean, very civilized, very polite and very interesting. At no time were we unsafe or harassed in Pointe a Pitre. We had no problems with language. Many vendors posted prices in US$ and Euros.

I would go back to Pointe a Pitre in a minute. It was my favorite and most memorable port on this cruise. At our dinner table that evening I was so saddened to learn that one couple cancelled their scheduled excursion because they were afraid to even get off the ship. This is just wrong.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I, like most readers, read all the reviews, then make up my own mind about what do do at that port.

We have yet to miss a port because of bad reviews - we just take extra precaution. In nearly all cases I've found the bad reviews unsubstantiated.

Our plans are to head to St- Anne first, and afterwards, explore the town.

I guess being a reader and doing research before I visit a strange island makes no sense to you but it does to me. I research and then make a thoughtful decision as to what I am comfortable doing. Do a little research. The last I will say on this topic to you is that Guadaloupe has France's highest crime rate. The highest crime rate on the island is in Pointe-a-Pitre. The highest crime rate in Point-a-Pitre is around the docks. The crimes are petty but no one wants to experience any kind of crime on vacation.

My point is to be aware not to not visit the island...just be aware as you always should be.

My FIRSTHAND, PERSONAL experience with the people of Guadaloupe is they are very rude. We had 2 groups of 300 on board over the length of the cruise. They would not look at anyone, would not smile, would not speak, would not move over in the hallways, would cut in front of people at the buffet and the elevators, would literally run into people if they were in their way. I can't imagine that the people on the island were much different.

Our waiter, the night we were in Guadaloupe, said tomorrow we would be in Antigua and we would like it...it was nothing like Guadaloupe. When someone in front of us mentioned to the greeeter in the Windjammer that they never used the Purelle, the greeter said that they were from Guadaloupe and they did what they wanted to and didn't do what they didn't want to do.

As I said before, glad you had a good experience. Glad we had a lovely day on the ship. I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe cruise.

Unfortunately, because you did not personally visit the island, and are simply repeating second hand information,

I cant take you comments as seriously as I would someone who WAS there, like the aforementioned poster. :cool:

Reading through the recent posts all I can say is that we had a wonderful time on our visit I didn't spend a lot of time in PTP but that was only because I wanted to get out and about and see as much of the island as I could.

I encountered no problems walking back from the car rental office and passed many market stalls selling all sorts along the way.

Personal I would not visit new destinations and not get off the ship. would I recommend Guadeloupe to other people .... Yes as It is a lovely island to visit.

Just returned from Guadeloupe cruise port. Didn't really like it too much. We were talking around the ship and people agreed. We did a ship sponsored excursion and it was ok. The tour guide didn't speak English very well - she tried, but since we paid $78 for the tour, I thought they would get someone better.

Just returned from Guadeloupe cruise port. Didn't really like it too much. We were talking around the ship and people agreed. We did a ship sponsored excursion and it was ok. The tour guide didn't speak English very well - she tried, but since we paid $78 for the tour, I thought they would get someone better.

Thanks for the review. Which ship's excursion did you do?

Thanks for the review. Which ship's excursion did you do?

We did the zoological park. The park was interesting. In the description it said "tree swings" so we thought it was like a legit rope swing, but it was just like suspension bridges. Which we felt was misleading. But if I was leaving the ship, I would definitely do the ship tour.

We visited Guadeloupe on our cruise two weeks ago. We usually do our own thing but this time we took a ship's tour which was a sort of 'Island Panorama.' We went to a market at Ste-Anne where we bought Mango jam (our only purchase on the entire trip). There was a beach here and some of us went swimming, though it was crowded out with locals. We drove on to Pointe des Chateaux which was truly spectacular - an amazing seascape with Atlantic rollers crashing in. There is a large memorial cross here on the hill and we were promised we could walk up to it = no chance unless you have at least an hour here. On the way back there was a short stop at an incredible cemetery, Morne-a-l'Eau, which rivals those in Argentina.

We really liked this trip, even though it should have been longer, and we liked the look of Guadeloupe - in fact, of the ten Caribbean islands we visited this is the only one we'd readily return to. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a single decent hotel.

Edited by Fletcher

We were in Guadaloupe in Jan. We did a B2B...week one ..we did the self guided tour,markets and church by Eiffel. Very nice day. Week 2...did the snorkel tour through the ship via zodiac boat. Nice trip up the Salt River, super reef and a stop at Caret island.Excellent!

We were in Guadaloupe in Jan. We did a B2B...week one ..we did the self guided tour,markets and church by Eiffel. Very nice day. Week 2...did the snorkel tour through the ship via zodiac boat. Nice trip up the Salt River, super reef and a stop at Caret island.Excellent!

Hi! I believe we are on this tour on the 16th Brilliance cruise. "Sea Life and Snorkeling Tour" Can you tell me more about it? Ilet Caret looks gorgeous, how was the ride? Did you snorket right off the boat?

I went in with an open mind. Besides the waterfall tour there wasn't much else we was interested in doing. So we opted to grab a map at the information desk and go wander around town. We walked down to the spice market and managed to find an english speaking vendor. Bought some vanilla and vanilla sticks. Everyone had pretty much the same items. In retrospect the vendors right by the cruise ship had that stuff as well almost the same prices. All stores in the area were mostly clothing, shoes and fabric with the exception of some African things. In our opinion it was mostly cheap clothing and no good bargains to be had. Plus they are on Euros so you pay to convert your money on the cruise ship.

We felt totally safe walking around, not harassed by anyone. After 1.5 hours we were done and went back to the ship. We heard people say the tours weren't that great, but someone did like the waterfall tour. Maybe we should have done that. I dont think they have figured out how to attract tourists yet. Some crew members even said they don't know why the ship stops there. It wasn't horrible just not our cup of tea.

Hi! I believe we are on this tour on the 16th Brilliance cruise. "Sea Life and Snorkeling Tour" Can you tell me more about it? Ilet Caret looks gorgeous, how was the ride? Did you snorket right off the boat?

The ride up this river was a no wake zone...so slow,nice, look for the star fish. The reef was 4 or 5 miles out, ride was fun and yes, you snorkel from the boat. The sand bars are amazing, out in the middle of no where. Enjoy

The ride up this river was a no wake zone...so slow,nice, look for the star fish. The reef was 4 or 5 miles out, ride was fun and yes, you snorkel from the boat. The sand bars are amazing, out in the middle of no where. Enjoy

That sounds wonderful and different from what we have done before, thanks! My friends waited too long to book and online says 'Inquire Onboard', so I'm hoping they are able to join. Must be popular.

Edited by sr4mjc

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to fill you in on our stop during our Spring Break cruise on the Brilliance. We had a wonderful port stop, and were quite impressed by the beauty of this country. We did a ship excursion, to the Waterfalls and Longeteau Distillery. Our bus tour guide was a local, who spoke a delightful mix of French and English. I spoke to him afterwards about his country and he was so nice. We then wandered into town since we had plenty of time, and browsed through the marketplaces. We wanted to find the church everyone mentioned but we were hungry and tired. The vendors at the marketplaces were not any more pushy than all of other ports we have been to. We never felt threatened at any time, and really enjoyed our day. I know some people had complained about their ship excursions, but to our personal group, we had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Guadeloupe last week. We made the mistake of not booking an excursion. We thought we would just walk to the markets and check out the church built by Eiffel. We started walking out of the cruise port and the area was very dirty..trash laying everywhere, most businesses closed. I think we were all a bit nervous, especially our 16 YO DD. We got to the end of the street and turned left to go to the markets and a huge waft of urine hit us. I think that was the last straw...we did not feel safe, our surroundings were very nasty, and we just wanted back on the ship. We made it an extra sea day!

I do not think all of Guadeloupe is this way...but I wished somebody would have given me this advice: book an excursion that gets good reviews and leave the port area behind! The banana plantation, botanical gardens and St Anne beach all sound lovely!

I heard a rumor that our ship was the last ship stopping in Guadeloupe...that the people who boarded from there were getting off when we did in San Juan. The cruise after ours was chartered...Anyone know if that is true?

Lauri

• 3 weeks later...

We're going to be in Guadeloupe on the Norwegian Sun in Feb and after reading all the posts on this thread it seems to me the best thing to do is hire a car and get out to see the island. If it is only $40 a day it sounds like a cheap day out seeing the real countryside... even cheaper if you have an couple to share with.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just come back from Guadeloupe so thought it was worth posting here to help dispel some of the myths surrounding this island.

We took the advice posted by others on this and other threads and headed straight to the town centre to spend some time at the markets which I can highly recommend. It's a vibrant scene with most of the stall-holders wearing local costumes. I agree that the area around the port looks a bit run down but no worse than many other ports in the Caribbean. We certainly preferred its authenticity compared to some other ports which are over-commercialised and feel more like stepping out into a port in the US. The people on the information desk in the port were very helpful providing a map which was easy to navigate. We headed up Rue Duplessis (just to the right as you exit the port) and followed the signs mentioned on this site. So easy!

We then walked back to the port and took a taxi tour along the coast towards St Anne's. We paid $100 for 4 of us and told the driver we didn't want to share with anybody so we thought this was reasonable. The driver had been a taxi driver in Paris for 25 years but had returned to his home in Guadeloupe as many others did, he said. He spoke some English but two of us spoke reasonable French as well so we had no difficulty communicating. He pointed out some lovely sights stopping off for photos, took us to an old fort on a cliff with amazing views and an art gallery and then dropped us in St Annes for just over an hour. He recommended a couple of bars with good food and we also had a look round a local craft market one street up from the beach.

Back at the port, we had a look round the stalls at the port and spent ages using the wifi before we sailed. As we sailed the band played us off, and from our balcony we could hear them playing for a while afterwards.

Great day, great place. PLEASE don't stay on the ship!!