Have you ever cancelled with on TA and re-booked with another?

Just wondering if anyone has ever cancelled with one TA and re-booked with another, because another can offer you a much lower price and/or better incentives? Just wondering how it worked out if you did?

My story with rebooking- I did cancel a cruise I booked with a travel agent.

I did not like the vibe in working with this cruise agency OWNER.

after I cancelled, she required a cancellation fee. I protested because NO one told me of the fact when I booked with them.

She didn't make me pay the penalty because I was not forewarned but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I used an online agency to

book the cruise.

I guess it s good to make sure you know what the cancellation policies are. period before you choose.

• 1 month later...

It unfortunate that people have no loyalty anymore. Not every agency/agent is able to offer the same incentives (prices are pretty much the same unless and agency is cutting their own commission, which is actually against the cruise line's contracts for the most part).

TAs help with making the booking, looking to make sure the best price available is the one booked, finding the best cabin, adding any applicable cruise line promotions, and answering questions that travelers may have. It's frustrating to do all that work, and then at the last minute go "Well Acme Agency is offering $25 OBC, I work hard for my money" and then switch. The original agent gets NOTHING. Travel agents work hard for their customers too.

I'd never switch, I just think that's so wrong to the original agent.

It unfortunate that people have no loyalty anymore. Not every agency/agent is able to offer the same incentives (prices are pretty much the same unless and agency is cutting their own commission, which is actually against the cruise line's contracts for the most part).

TAs help with making the booking, looking to make sure the best price available is the one booked, finding the best cabin, adding any applicable cruise line promotions, and answering questions that travelers may have. It's frustrating to do all that work, and then at the last minute go "Well Acme Agency is offering $25 OBC, I work hard for my money" and then switch. The original agent gets NOTHING. Travel agents work hard for their customers too.

I'd never switch, I just think that's so wrong to the original agent.

I'm sure this happens all the time but it goes along with the territory when you are in sales. Also, some TA's do a lot of work and truly earn their commissions and some are just order takers. So you can't generalize across the board.

There are some cruisers here who use a TA based on a banner add on the internet that advertises great prices. If their prices are not really great then why not switch? There are others who have been using the same TA for years and do have a sense of loyalty based on the service they've received over the years.

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

• 1 month later...
Just wondering if anyone has ever cancelled with one TA and re-booked with another, because another can offer you a much lower price and/or better incentives? Just wondering how it worked out if you did?

Did your first agent go about researching your needs and request?

As you are well aware, cruise prices go up and down, did your current agent have the chance to react (a good one would)

Does the new offer match the orginal offer (date, room,etc.) ?

Loyalty goes both ways - I'd ask the initial agent to match AND WHY HE HAD TO ASK????

Remember the agent is working for himself, his agency, and you. They should respect you and you should respect them (if they earn it)

• 1 month later...
Planning first cruise for next year... How can I find a good TA if no one is allowed to specify who they use?:confused:

Howdy MMR555 and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

Click here http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=62 for the Cruise Critic article titled Finding a Cruise Travel Agent. Also, you might find other articles to help you here http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/.

Cruise Critic has strict guidelines prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards. The message boards are meant to be a cruiser's exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the message boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Note the following from the Travel Agent Recommendations section in the Guidelines you agreed to follow when registering for your free Cruise Critic membership:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

We have Guidelines for the "other side" too. emo3.gif Note the following from the Participation of Travel Agents section:

Travel agents (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. You are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business as long as you comply with the following:

- You may not use your business name as your Cruise Critic user name.

- You may sign your posts with your first name only.

- You may include your company name in your signature.

- You may not list your phone number, business location (city or state), web site address, contact info or e-mail address.

- You may not include your location and/or website address in your Cruise Critic profile.

- Responding to member's inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.

- Only items of a general nature may be discussed on the forums by any travel agent.

Cruise Critic considers requests to be E-mailed for additional information as soliciting and will return those postings to any travel agent trying to sell or promote themselves on Cruise Critic. Additionally, attempts to circumvent our rules may result in your company name being censored from our forums.

Cruise Critic reserves the right to remove any material from our message boards without notification.

We also have the following in the Announcement from the Community Manager titled Reminder to Travel Agents About Roll Calls at the top of the Roll Calls forums:

Reminder of Existing Cruise Critic Community Guidelines:

Travel agents are welcomed to participate on our forums and may identify themselves as such by including their company name in their posts. Travel agents may not include contact information of any kind, which includes but isn't limited to: email address, real last name, phone number, website address, link to any pages that include contact information, etc. They may not ask members to email them or contact them in any way -- even through other members.

Travel agents may not conduct business of any kind on the forums. Therefore, travel agents may not offer for "share" any tour or shore excursion on any ROLL CALL. You may not offer for share a shorex through other members on the ROLL CALL.

If you are a travel agent, whether identified in your signature or known to Cruise Critic as being a Travel Agent, you may not arrange for tours and offer them on the ROLL CALLS. It doesn't matter if you aren't making any money, or you aren't getting a freebie. The bottom line is: as a travel agent you aren't allowed to do this.

Travel agents may, of course, join an existing tour set up by other members.

There are to be no exceptions to the above guidelines.

LauraS

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards and glad to have you aboard! emo35.gif

Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
corrected information