Welcome to the Talkeetna Area

Alaskanguide

I liked Alaskandudes post,:D So I thought I would do the same for my area.

If you need any information on Talkeetna or Trapper Creek area let me know. Want to go fishing, ATV tour , Glacier landing . Stuff to do or places to stay or just anything else.

Hope to see you soon.

Alaskanguide

We will be there June 25. Taking a summit flight. What can you recommend for the rest of the day, where are the good places to eat. Really looking forward to our trip. Thanks for the information

Santamaria ,

Are you on a cruise or on your own ? The river breaks here around the time you show up. Salmon fishing is out of the question then , But if you fish for Trout or Dolly Varden . Give or email TRI- RIVER CHARTERS (907) 733-2400 they do early trout trips. Tell them Roger sent you I used to guide for them. Rafting and Jet boat training for new hires is going on then unless like I said we have an early break up on the river.They should be running. I think the lodge opens on the 14. If you like 4 wheeling (ATV) or if you just want to sit back and explore check this site out . Click on the photo button for more.

http://www.blackbearatvadventures.zoomshare.com/3.html

AuntB

You have to try Talkeetna's best secret . It just opened 2 years ago its called the dancing bear they serve the best FIDDLE HEAD FERNS if you never ate fern before try them they as cooked in garlic and butter.You have to eat at Mt. High pizza, Try the flat bread sandwich its out of this world your taste buts will thanks you. The Road house has a great breakfast. If you want some very good food and want to spend a little money go to the Talkeetna lodge"Superb". Stay away from the bear viewing tours ,You will not see any. Since Talkeetna put in those bear proof boxes a few years ago the bears stay out of town. I guided on this river 7 days a week and from May 15-Sept 15 I may only see 3 bears and a moose. But the canyon tour is fun by river boat.

Publish

Welcome,

I think the moose dropping is that week I would have to double check an that one. Its one of those things you go to once in your life time. There is a lot to do. Since you have your 11 year old the rafting trip is fun, but slow.... He might enjoy the ARGO Adventure tour he is to young for the 4 wheeler tour. There is a horse back ride and Jet boat tours a dog sled tour. Since you are on your own stop in at the Talkeetna welcome center before you come into town.

Any more questions ? I will do my best

Alaskan guide

I was wondering about the 4 Hour Chulitna River Raft Tour. We are interested in doing this but don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to do this. I only saw two times for this, 7:00 am and 1:15 pm through TRG. Do you know of any other companies that do this that may have different times? I would like to take the ARGO tour also, but I don't know if we will have time because we have a 9:20pm flight out of Anchorage. We are going to be staying in Healy the night before so it will be about a two hour drive to get to the raft tour. Thanks for any info you can give me.

We seem to be early with our cruise starting May 7th.(Island Pricess) I'm sure we'll do most cruise tours because I like someone else keeping my time. I understand seeing Bears is out of the question. But will there be other wild life can I count on seeing... I realy love wild life and already thinking of planning another Alaska trip different time of year, missing bears is heart-breaking.

KFH ,

If you are staying North close to the park check this out http://www.denaliraft.com/

There is a new rafting company opening up here but I will have to dig a little deeper to get you some more information on that . TRG's 4 hour tour is long but it has great views , The river is slow not like the water at in Denali. They are the only ones running that tour here.

The ARGO tours run 3 times a day and are 2 1/2 hours long.

Marlene,

We are about 3 - 3 1/2 hrs from Deanali . We are 30 min. from Talkeetna.

Are you in a motorhome ? What kind of camping are you looking for ? Free , full hook ups , river front. I know of several place . Please tell me what you are looking for and I will give you the best camping spots in our area

Alaskan Guide

ChipandJohn,

If the park is open you should see bears out on the ice mounds getting away from the bugs, You might be in luck alot of the bears are out and roaming around at that time of the year, Looking for food from there long winter nap . So you might see one keep an eye out in the marshes you drive by. As far as the wildlife 50/50 change this is a big state and the animals are spread out over a large area. Its not like Africa , You do not see hundreds of animals at at time, But some times you will see that many Caribou when they are migrating. Good luck

Alaskan Guide

Will be in Alaska for only a couple of days post cruise (Sat 8/13-Mon 8/15 - will have all day and night monday - flight out at 2:00 AM tuesday) I have seen the ATV tour advertised, but is a basic "follow the leader type tour"? Also, rafting question - we are considering rafting 6-mile creek (3 canyons), but we have the TourSaver book and were looking at the Denali raft trip that is in there - how do the two compare? And how far are the distances from Anchorage, where we will be staying?

Hi,

You will be following the guide on your atv stopping along the way to listen about Alaska from the local guide, To many places to get lost up here . And I no one in the state that rents out atv's and lets you go on your own to explore just to dangerous some of these trails go on for days. If you want class II rapids and more go with 6 mile , And you will see more wildlife in that area as you are floating , I hunt in that area and there are lots of sheep, goats and bears ( Depending on season) you will see less people on 6 mile than you would in Denali . 6 mile rafting is about 1 hour out of Anchorage and Denali is about 3 -4 hours depending on traffic.

Hope this help

Alaskan Guide

Hello!

We'll be in Talkeetna Aug 9-11. Flying into Anchorage Tues afternoon, doing the Native Amer Heritage Ctr & possibly zoo & dinner before driving up to Talkeetna. Next morming doing the Denali Sightseeing Tour (monster truck picks up 50 mi south of Denali Park) which ends around 4pm, what is there to do/see in the evening?

Planning to do Summit flight Thurs am and then drive down to Anchorage (time open since we want to make sure we get to do the flight). Would love to see husky puppies/sled dog kennel tour, and /or :confused: .

Thanks for any suggestions!

NeeterN

ChipandJohn,

If the park is open you should see bears out on the ice mounds getting away from the bugs, You might be in luck alot of the bears are out and roaming around at that time of the year, Looking for food from there long winter nap . So you might see one keep an eye out in the marshes you drive by. As far as the wildlife 50/50 change this is a big state and the animals are spread out over a large area. Its not like Africa , You do not see hundreds of animals at at time, But some times you will see that many Caribou when they are migrating. Good luck

Alaskan Guide

We'll be doing the Tundra Wilderness tour on May 29th. Is it the same about the bears looking for food after their long winter nap, in late May as well as early May? I am looking forward to seeing as much wildlife as possible!

Thanks for your input!

Sharon

NeeterN,

There are alot of things to do in the area here is alist

Black Bear ATV Adventures

Argo Adventure Tundra Tour

Wilderness Adventure Trail Ride

Horse-drawn Wagon Ride

Iditarod Sled Dog Kennel Tour

Trapper Creek Homestead Tour

Byers Lake Nature Walk

Denali Wilderness Hike

Alaska Sportfishing

Catch and Release Fly Fishing

Byers Lake Kayaking

Susitna Evening Float Trip

Talkeetna Canyon Tour

Jet Boat Safari

Chulitna River Rafting

Talkeetna River Float Trip

"Tokosha" - Denali Park Adventure

Wilderness Fly-in Fishing

McKinley Discovery Tour

Glacier Landing Explorer Tour

Summit Flight Tour

Denali Park via Helicopter Tour

Denali Park with Vista Landing

Alaskan Guide

Sharon,

Yes, That is a very good time,This is the most snow we have had in 6 years up here so spring thaw will be late this year. And the caribou will also be heading back to their calfing grounds, You are only going to see grizzly (Brown) bear in the park no black bears or eagles up there.

Sharon,

Yes, That is a very good time,This is the most snow we have had in 6 years up here so spring thaw will be late this year. And the caribou will also be heading back to their calfing grounds, You are only going to see grizzly (Brown) bear in the park no black bears or eagles up there.

Thanks so much for the info! My 25 year old daughter will be with us. She has grown up in the South and LOVES snow. She will be very happy if there will be snow on the ground. The only down side is if there's still snow our Tundra Wilderness tour won't go that far into the park. Is that correct?

Sharon

Sharon ,

I know they start plowing the road into the park next month (APRIL) so it should be open. by the time you get here . What part of the South ? We are from South Carolina but have lived up here in Alaska 6 years now.

Alaskan Guide

We actually live in Charlotte, NC...but the south side so we're only 3 or 4 miles from SC. Where did you grow up?

We moved here in the early 80's from Rochester NY, so Don and I know snow. Our girls haven't been around snow so for Bethany, it will be a thrill for her to be in it! OK, it's been a long time, so it will be fun for Mama too!

Thanks for taking the time to give we first time Alaska travelers info from the area from someone who knows!

Sharon

Archived