Exploring alone vs. Excursions

camprunner

Hi everyone! I'm about to embark on my very first solo cruise and my second cruise ever next month. I loved the first one.

My cruise is to Grand Turk, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay. My preference would be to walk to the Queen Anne's staircase in Nassau. For those who've been is this a populated enough route that I could feel comfortable alone? I'd like to rent a bike and explore on my own at Grand Turk and I know I could get by without doing anything at Half Moon Cay except for the beach. Apparently the same is true for Grand Turk.

I've been to Nassau and Half Moon before and will be going back in August as well (to Atlantis on a cruise with the family). I've never been to Grand Turk.

I could get excursions I'd accept from the cruise line with all three totaling under $100. I just can't shake the feeling that i could probably also be okay doing the whole cruise only paying extra for the bike rental at Grand Turk.

I'm a woman in her late 30's if that makes a difference. I certainly don't want to put myself in obvious danger. Thoughts?

TIA

I'm mid 30s and I've been on 2 solo cruises to Bahamas. I haven't been to the Queen's Staircase but I certainly didn't mind walking around alone. Enjoy and have fun! Patiently awaiting my next solo cruise in September.

Thank you Virtiopia! I'd rather get the exercise. I'll probably just play it by ear then. Nassau around the port did not seem that bad to me as long as there were other cruisers around. It sounds like the Queen's Staircase/Walking tour is popular enough that I will not be totally alone.

Just pay attention to your 'Spidey sense' in Nassau. I wandered on my own there a few years ago and wanted to visit something past the Government House, and ended up turning back from there. The further inland you go, the fewer people. I didn't get as far East as the Staircase, but given the location with the hospital near by and a recent reno to the Staircase, there will most likely be other tourists and things will be fine.

I was on Grand Turk before the hurricane that went through and took a cab into town as I wanted to buy some stamps. Turks is known for beautiful stamps; so I also poked around town and the taxi driver was happy to take a diversion to see if we could see flamingos. They say the roads can be rough so do take precautions. I am going back in December and have no qualms about managing my own sightseeing. If you are into birds at all, there are a couple of birding trails. Local dive shops as well as a couple of 'downtown' businesses sell the maps.

Thank you so much. I'm a total scaredy cat that trusts my instincts so I will turn around at the first sign of being uncomfortable! This makes me think that riding around Grand Turk will be okay. I really just want to ride with some beautiful scenery and I know that Half Moon Cay will already be a beach day. I'm just thinking that on an Island that is 7 1/2 miles long and a mile and a half wide not too much could possibly happen!

Grand Turk is pretty flat and not well vegetated on the western side, so not exactly 'pretty', but definitely manageable. There is more elevation and vegetation on the east, but the roads are supposedly a little worse on that side, so be careful of falling off your bike. There are old salt collection dikes and 'pans' that was part of the old economy - I found these interesting.

I found the Islands to have some start contrasts - depending whether they were made volcanically or essentially, sand bars. Enjoy your trip.

The islands are easily doable on your own. In Nassau I encountered some locals who pressured tourists to buy or have their hair braided. They accepted a shake of the head, "no." A cab to Atlantis is $4 each way.

• 1 month later...
I went and I lived! I walked to the Queen's Staircase and had no problems. Of course the whole town was at the Labor Day parade at the time. Saw some of the parade and walked over to Junkanoo.

Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip.

• 10 months later...
I went and I lived! I walked to the Queen's Staircase and had no problems. Of course the whole town was at the Labor Day parade at the time. Saw some of the parade and walked over to Junkanoo.

Sorry to resurrect this slightly old thread, but I am planning for a cruise next month with this same itinerary and I am looking to do the same things you mentioned in your posts.

Glad to hear that you felt safe walking to the staircase in Nassau and at Junkanoo. Did you end up renting a bike at Grand Turk? If so, did you reserve in advance, and which company did you rent from? How were the roads?

Any other pointers to share about these ports and activities for a solo woman?

Thanks!

Personally, if a port is a first for me, I will take an excursion. If it is a port which I have visited before and feel comfortable in navigating on my own, I don't hesitate to do so. Certainly, I do my best to be well aware of my surroundings and the "vibes" I am getting. If my vibes turn negative, and they have at Nassau, I'm out of here!

It's not my first time in Nassau or Grand Turk. It will be my first time solo in Nassau and my first time trying to rent a bike in grand Turk. I'm very comfortable traveling solo, and have a well developed wonky vibe detector :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning....I have been to Nassau more times than I can count over the years:eek:........it is not even a place I get off

the ship anymore. Not sure what you are looking to do there........but for me, it is nice having all the people off the ship....

like having your own private yacht (albeit a slightly LARGER yacht:D)....Oh, I have been sailing solo for almost 15 years.