Falmouth questions

Zeldon

Hi. I've looked at a few Falmouth posts but didn't see these:

Food - it's clear that most people advise staying in cruise bubble. Is there any good, authentic Jamaican/Caribbean food? I gather there are a bunch of American chain restaurants there, but if I'm in Jamaica I want run punch and roti/patties/coco bread.

Beach - my ship has an excursion to Chukka beach. Thoughts? Is there a better beach very close?

• 2 weeks later...

Food - it's clear that most people advise staying in cruise bubble. Is there any good, authentic Jamaican/Caribbean food? I gather there are a bunch of American chain restaurants there, but if I'm in Jamaica I want run punch and roti/patties/coco bread.

Beach - my ship has an excursion to Chukka beach. Thoughts? Is there a better beach very close?

No food eaten at Falmouth within the cruise port's confines. But, I did enjoy a well-made Rum Punch. Cannot tell you where with any certainty. There were several venues available, if I properly recall.

Falmouth was a pleasant surprise for me. My previous visits to this island caused negative memories. Beautiful scenery, but, the attitudes of the citizens and vendors caused me, during one cruise visit, to remain on the ship. The folks at Falmouth, however, were friendly, welcoming, helpful, and courteous. I was very impressed!

Scotchies is wonderful! Good drinks and excellent jerk chicken.

• 7 months later...

Sure doesn't look like a plethora of local cuisine eateries in or near the cruise port bubble. We are opting for a quick tour to get away from the 6,000 plus passengers aboard the Allure that will be heading toward Margaritaville. Might have to settle for what's onboard the ship for lunch instead when we return.

I definitely do NOT recommend staying in the "Cruise bubble". See my review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2593070

We have been on 55+ cruises, hundreds of excursions. There are many awesome sights in Jamaica. We have toured from Falmouth at least 5 times. We've always had plenty of time and great experiences. Our most recent with "Cool Dave" was the best yet!

we did a river tubing tour from Falmouth last week and then ate at Peppers (local jerk shack)in Falmouth for jerk chicken and beer or rum. No problems in town and the locals were very friendly in the markets

• 1 month later...
I definitely do NOT recommend staying in the "Cruise bubble". See my review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2593070

We have been on 55+ cruises, hundreds of excursions. There are many awesome sights in Jamaica. We have toured from Falmouth at least 5 times. We've always had plenty of time and great experiences. Our most recent with "Cool Dave" was the best yet!

We booked Dave for our upcoming trip! We are so excited to see Jamaica!! Thanks for your review of him!

What is "cruise bubble"? I'm there for the first time in about 4 wks.

Cruise bubble is the fenced area surrounding the ship docks. Many stores, flea market type areas and eating venues (Margaritaville). I was told that Royal Caribbean invested heavily in the port. Very nice, newer buildings and facilities. We were there last week. Did not leave the fenced area. Talked to folks that did. They were immediately hounded by the “locals”. Turned around and re-entered the fenced area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

cruise bubble is the fenced area surrounding the ship docks. Many stores, flea market type areas and eating venues (margaritaville). I was told that royal caribbean invested heavily in the port. Very nice, newer buildings and facilities. We were there last week. Did not leave the fenced area. Talked to folks that did. They were immediately hounded by the “locals”. Turned around and re-entered the fenced area.

Sent from my ipad using forums

thank you!

we did a river tubing tour from Falmouth last week and then ate at Peppers (local jerk shack)in Falmouth for jerk chicken and beer or rum. No problems in town and the locals were very friendly in the markets

May I ask who you used for your tour? We are wanting to do the same thing. Thanks