A new interpretation for Friends of Dorothy

AttilaTheFun

Had to share this story from the Epic cruise I just got back from with my family. At dinner on the first night, my sister asked what the Friends of Bill W meeting was for and my Dad explained it was for Alcoholics Anonymous members. He then went on to say that they had figured out that the Friends of Bill W was for the male members and the Friends of Dorothy was for the female members! I had to laugh and explain the LGBT gathering. I think because my parents had only sailed on Celebrity, they didn't see the explanation that NCL posts in the Freestyle Daily of "Friends of Dorothy - LGBT Gathering" (although I don't know that they even know what LGBT stands for...)

Made me laugh! :D

Had to share this story from the Epic cruise I just got back from with my family. At dinner on the first night, my sister asked what the Friends of Bill W meeting was for and my Dad explained it was for Alcoholics Anonymous members. He then went on to say that they had figured out that the Friends of Bill W was for the male members and the Friends of Dorothy was for the female members! I had to laugh and explain the LGBT gathering. I think because my parents had only sailed on Celebrity, they didn't see the explanation that NCL posts in the Freestyle Daily of "Friends of Dorothy - LGBT Gathering" (although I don't know that they even know what LGBT stands for...)

Made me laugh! :D

LOL, that is funny! Bless our parent's hearts for their method of deduction.

On our friends first cruise a few years back (older and senior), she commented at the dinner table that this "Dorothy" sure had a lot of friends, and wanted to meet her to find out if she was one of the performers. :)

I'm dating myself but way back on the Regal the FOD gathering was held in a bar on the upper deck. The bar was popular but never so until the night of the announced Friends Of Dorothy gathering. People wandered in early and you could hear them asking if Dorothy had arrived. We were about ten guys seated together and suddenly the door opens and in walk two lesbian passengers dressed to the 9's who had come to join us. I immediately stood up and with open arms called out "Here's Dorothy". As the guys all stood, the gals picked up on it right away and the room went totally silent as they gawked, none the wiser, to get a glimps of our "Dorothy". We could never get away with that one today.

My first experience with Friends of Dorothy was on our Princess Regal cruise 18-Nov-98. Believe it or not I did not know what it meant. I called the pursers deck to asked, no one had the answer, but would call me back. They did and told me it was a meeting for ex- homosexuals. So off we go and as we were approaching the bar, saw what looked like a really old couple of transsexual’s. So into the bar we went and to my surprise Friends of Dorothy…. When we told the story to our host, yes it was hosted, we all had a good laugh.

Joe

my first experience with friends of dorothy was on our princess regal cruise 18-nov-98. Believe it or not i did not know what it meant. I called the pursers deck to asked, no one had the answer, but would call me back. They did and told me it was a meeting for ex- homosexuals. So off we go and as we were approaching the bar, saw what looked like a really old couple of transsexual’s. So into the bar we went and to my surprise friends of dorothy…. When we told the story to our host, yes it was hosted, we all had a good laugh.

Joe

lol!

I had a little chuckle to myself reading some of these posts. As an English guest Bill W. meant nothing to me. I just assumed he was a really popular guy, probably on a celebratory cruise with friends and family.

On our second cruise I was amazed to see him cruising with us again. When I mentioned it to American friends we had met they explained all. We are indeed two Nations separated by a common language.

The FOD group was easier to understand given everyone of a certain disposition knows who played Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz !

We faced a similar challenge when launching our private motor yacht charter business in the UK. How to put people at ease without drawing attention to the subject. We settled on "Rainbow Friendly". Them as know know, them as don't assume it's something to do with saving whales from extinction :)

Keep smiling

Henry :)

It is not just our families that do not know about FOD...The first time my partner and I cruised he thought it was an AA meeting for women. In his defense, he was still as excited as a 5 year old with being on a ship.

It is not just our families that do not know about FOD...The first time my partner and I cruised he thought it was an AA meeting for women. In his defense, he was still as excited as a 5 year old with being on a ship.

lol ! Once attended, I don't think anyone could relate a FOD gathering to an AA anything....

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an email from a friend who says he now knows the origin of Friends Of Dorothy (FOD)

“You have some queer friends, Dorothy,' she said.

The queerness doesn't matter, so long as they're friends,' was the answer.”

(L. Frank Baum, author of the Oz books)

Sounds logical to me.

Just received an email from a friend who says he now knows the origin of Friends Of Dorothy (FOD)

“You have some queer friends, Dorothy,' she said.

The queerness doesn't matter, so long as they're friends,' was the answer.”

(L. Frank Baum, author of the Oz books)

Sounds logical to me.

Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing that.

I do have to chuckle at some of the responses on here and stories. I went to a Friends of Bill W on my second cruise which happened to be a gay cruise and I was 21 at the time. Walking in with an alcoholic beverage in my hand to meet Bill was VERY interesting... not to mention doing it on a gay cruise to boot! Ha ha!! I turned right around and left. :eek:

Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing that.

I do have to chuckle at some of the responses on here and stories. I went to a Friends of Bill W on my second cruise which happened to be a gay cruise and I was 21 at the time. Walking in with an alcoholic beverage in my hand to meet Bill was VERY interesting... not to mention doing it on a gay cruise to boot! Ha ha!! I turned right around and left. :eek:

Once as the patron saint of the local bartenders I decided to visit the gay Bill W. meeting, to test the waters so to speak. I entered the room visually searching out a chair to sit inconspicuously among these solemn looking men. All of a sudden a friend, now acquaintance, stood up and bellowed in my direction, "Well, it's about time..." My one and only and very short Bill W. meeting

I wonder what the chances are that term FOD will be obliterated from our lexicon. Personally, I think it's time to retire it. :eek:

Only after I die and I'm not going yet...not by a long shot

• 2 weeks later...

Ten years ago, on NCL Sky, two women walked in to the bar where the afternoon FOD was about to begin.

One asked if this was the club for the fans of "The Golden Girls."

(they actually weren't far off)

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder what the chances are that term FOD will be obliterated from our lexicon. Personally, I think it's time to retire it. :eek:

Platinum Cunard World Club member here - was "allowed" to go on Atlantis' Allure of the Seas cruise this last January - ship only 80% full - 4000 guys and 78 lesbians (Oh yes, have to sign up for Medicare next year).

The Atlantis cruise director told the audience at one of the big shows to smile at the older guys on the cruise - they were the ones that did all the work to allow such a cruise to happen - and if anyone showed any "attitude" towards a more mature passeger, they could be asked to leave the ship - this got a big laugh:D

Had such a good time have booked again and the hubby is coming along along with other buddies.

FOD will eventually go away - I imagine it will disappear when no one watches "The Wizard of OZ"

Booked on the WB TA on Nov 20 2012 on QM2 by the way

That's such a cute story.

I want to cruise as much as Joe! You adopting? Single? :cool:

I would love to adopt you, if you have money.;) I'm not single, been with my partner for 43 years. Please tell me about your NCL Spirit April 2012 (13nt New Orleans to Spain) trip. Were going to Baralonia, September 30, 2012 for a 4 night pre cruise stay and 12 night Med cruise.

I'm laughing so hard. If I had money, I wouldn't need to be adopted! :p I fly for free, tho. But flight attendants make very little money! It's all about the benefits!

Here is a link to my Spirit review for you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1647307

And Barcelonia is the gay part of Barcelona? Not sure. But funny as well.

Also, you can read about my horrific cruise experience on my Spirit sailing from Miami to Barcelonia (LOL) here: http://www.penguinlust.blogspot.com. The story to look for is titled "The Lyngbakr..."

Ha Scott, great story lots of DRAMA. I don't know if I would be as patient as you. Can you give me any tips what to do, when flying over the pond for 9 hours at night? Should I get a sleeping pill or something? How do I handle jet lag? It's my first time flying for 9 hours.

Joe

Archived