Question on "old" ATM card

jst4fun715

I have done a search, but can't find my answer! I have one of the "old" ATM cards, not a debit card. Can those be used to withdraw money at ATM machines especially in Italy? It only has a magnetic strip on the back and of course, I use a PIN that is 4 digits. Thanks in advance!

Not sure, but why not get a new card with a chip. The 4 digit PIN is fine but I question whether some ATM machines will read your card.

Well, we only have about two weeks before we leave. I doubt that I will need it, but was curious. I will stop at the bank and ask.

FYI, "debit card" and "ATM card" is the same thing.

Curious about your ATM issuer. Most have switched to chipped cards. Your issuer is behind the times. I would worry about it being effective overseas.

No, they aren't. I can only use mine to get cash out of the ATM machine. I can't use it at a store to purchase anything at a store . Mine does not have a Visa or MC logo on it. It is issued by Key Bank. Maybe I'm not sure what you are saying.....sorry.

No, they aren't. I can only use mine to get cash out of the ATM machine. I can't use it at a store to purchase anything at a store . Mine does not have a Visa or MC logo on it. It is issued by Key Bank. Maybe I'm not sure what you are saying.....sorry.

Yes, generally they are. Most people have debit cards. But it sounds like your issuer is very old school, keeping you in the old ATM world, not allowing you to expand into the debit card word of 2017.

Yes, generally they are. Most people have debit cards. But it sounds like your issuer is very old school, keeping you in the old ATM world, not allowing you to expand into the debit card word of 2017.

Well, yes, they do have debit cards with the Visa or MC logo. I have just chosen not to get one. I generally just use my old ATM card to withdraw some cash from the bank, but use a "regular" credit card for other purchases. I have had friends that have had their debit cards compromised and it took them two weeks or so to have it replaced, so I just figured I would keep my old one. I once forgot it in an ATM machine and when I realized it, I just walked into the bank and was issued another on on the spot. It's me that is "old school", not the bank!!:o

Well, yes, they do have debit cards with the Visa or MC logo. I have just chosen not to get one. I generally just use my old ATM card to withdraw some cash from the bank, but use a "regular" credit card for other purchases. I have had friends that have had their debit cards compromised and it took them two weeks or so to have it replaced, so I just figured I would keep my old one. I once forgot it in an ATM machine and when I realized it, I just walked into the bank and was issued another on on the spot. It's me that is "old school", not the bank!!:o

I work in a retail bank and this is a common practice especially with people who have experienced what a pain identity theft can be. Swiping a card that has access to your cash at point of sale can be dangerous. I think more people should consider switching to credit which can be shut down easily while disputes are researched.

To the OP, if I were you you may want to stick to American ATMs, others may not be programmed the same to recognize what a true ATM only card is. I didn't recall seeing where you may end up wanting ATM access. Also see if you can verify with the bank if they need to be a "pulse" or "star" or other ATM that may make a difference.

Hang in there, it's amazing how many people really don't understand all the small differences in bank products :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done a search, but can't find my answer! I have one of the "old" ATM cards, not a debit card. Can those be used to withdraw money at ATM machines especially in Italy? It only has a magnetic strip on the back and of course, I use a PIN that is 4 digits. Thanks in advance!

I also have "traditional" ATM cards that do not have MC or Visa logo and hence can only be used to withdraw cash with a PIN code. They can't be used to buy merchandise at a store. I have regular credit cards that are not debit cards. As others have mentioned, the aftermath of having your debit card stolen or compromised as opposed to your traditional credit card compromised is more stressful in my opinion as the former could temporarily wipe out your bank account balance for a few days or more while the bank investigates which could cause your checks to bounce, etc. Most banks issue the ATM debit cards (with credit card logo) as the default but you can ask for one without that. My ATM cards do have chip technology now as do all my credit cards since at least a year ago and I had no trouble using any of them while traveling abroad (in Europe, including Italy, and Latin America). Maybe call your bank just to be sure there's no reason your card wouldn't work abroad and to let them know where you'll be so that their fraud department is aware of your whereabouts?

I will stop at the bank and ask.
Today is Friday. If you can't get into the bank today, I would call for a new, updated card. They should be able to get it to you before the end of next week.

My thinking is that you could very well need an updated card for use in Europe. Key Bank should have gotten a new debit card to you by now. Personally, I wouldn't travel in Europe without a way to get local currency.

We use the old style ATM card from Capitol One with a 4 digit PIN. It is not a debit card and can only be used in an ATM machine to withdraw cash. It is linked to a money market account. If the card is compromised, the bad person has access only to the Cap One account. This account is used for no other purposes except travel. We have used it all over the world without a problem. In May and June, 2017 we used it in France, Finland and Russia.

We use the old style ATM card from Capitol One with a 4 digit PIN. It is not a debit card and can only be used in an ATM machine to withdraw cash.
Interesting... We were given no choice by Cap1 a few years ago when they replaced our ATM cards with MasterCard branded debit cards...and again more recently when new cards were issued with chips.

I hope you have a backup debit card with a chip in the event you are confronted with an ATM machine which requires one.

I work in a retail bank and this is a common practice especially with people who have experienced what a pain identity theft can be. Swiping a card that has access to your cash at point of sale can be dangerous. I think more people should consider switching to credit which can be shut down easily while disputes are researched.

To the OP, if I were you you may want to stick to American ATMs, others may not be programmed the same to recognize what a true ATM only card is. I didn't recall seeing where you may end up wanting ATM access. Also see if you can verify with the bank if they need to be a "pulse" or "star" or other ATM that may make a difference.

Hang in there, it's amazing how many people really don't understand all the small differences in bank products :)

I also have "traditional" ATM cards that do not have MC or Visa logo and hence can only be used to withdraw cash with a PIN code. They can't be used to buy merchandise at a store. I have regular credit cards that are not debit cards. As others have mentioned, the aftermath of having your debit card stolen or compromised as opposed to your traditional credit card compromised is more stressful in my opinion as the former could temporarily wipe out your bank account balance for a few days or more while the bank investigates which could cause your checks to bounce, etc. Most banks issue the ATM debit cards (with credit card logo) as the default but you can ask for one without that. My ATM cards do have chip technology now as do all my credit cards since at least a year ago and I had no trouble using any of them while traveling abroad (in Europe, including Italy, and Latin America). Maybe call your bank just to be sure there's no reason your card wouldn't work abroad and to let them know where you'll be so that their fraud department is aware of your whereabouts?

Thank you (all of you)....this is the info I was looking for. I will check with my bank and see if the new ATM cards have a chip. And obviously I will let the bank know where I am going as well as the two companies whose credit cards I am taking.

Great topic. We just went back to regular ATM cards after a terrible ordeal related to the debit card our bank had issued. I think many, like us, didn't underdtand the distinction between a basic ATM card and a debit card.

I would NEVER have a debit card again based on our experience. It could have been worse though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great topic. We just went back to regular ATM cards after a terrible ordeal related to the debit card our bank had issued. I think many, like us, didn't underdtand the distinction between a basic ATM card and a debit card.

I would NEVER have a debit card again based on our experience. It could have been worse though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience, but I have a friend whose debit card was compromised and it was a nightmare for her. That is one reason I have stuck with the old ATM card. I did have a credit card compromised once, but it was very easy to deal with when I notified the credit card company. Between the Euros I already have and my credit card, I think we will be just fine. And just in case....I found a few old school traveler's checks that I'm sure I could cash on the ship.

Again, thanks all for the input!

I also only wanted an ATM card only when my bank started replacing them with debit cards. Worked great until I told them want to use it in Europe. Told me I had to get a debit card to do that. They issued me a temporary card at the bank so I could use it in my trip.

I never use it as debit card.