My Rome plan is a disaster, help please

Motorcycle Gma

our plans have gone totally wrong even though I've been researching and we've been once before. HELP...time is running out.

Wednesday, 8/30: arrive via train from Venice around 1-2pm. Staying steps from Colloseum. 4:20 underground Colloseum tour already booked skip the line. Now I'm wondering if I should switch to Sunday cuz it will be too late to see Forum afterwards. Could we visit St. Peter Basilica this night?? Does one need tix to visit basilica?

Thursday, 8/31 already booked 11am shared shuttle & thought about canceling but it's too late to cancel to go to Vatican. DH only cares about the Colloseum, forum & maybe catacombs. Our ship leaves at 5:00.

Sunday, 9/10 arrive Civi 7am. Don't know what to do on Sunday except walk the various piazzas, Parthenon, maybe catacombs, but which one?? We could move our Colloseum tour to this day, but I'd have to go thru hassle of booking again and it was STRESSFUL.

Monday, 9/11 Have 1/2 day before boarding 2:50 train to Venice. I'm thinking this is the only day I can see the Vatican. Thinking of booking 8:30 tour thru Vatican, 37 euro or Dark Rome morning tour for $75. I know Monday is not a good day to see Vatican. I want to just do a quick walk through to see the highlights, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's. Can we even see the basilica on a Monday??

If I could do over, I would do Vatican on Thursday & Colloseum on Sunday. DH doesn't care what we do except Colloseum & Forum. I'm the free spirited one that wants to see everything; he's more cautious and just wants to get to ship/trains on time.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this mess. Thx!

Okay, here's a start at helping you.

Keep your Colosseum tour as booked. As you say, it's not worth the hassle of changing it.

The tours last about 90 minutes, and the Forum will close about one hour before sunset, which on August 31 is 7:47. So you're right, you wouldn't have time for more than a cursory look at the Forum -- about 45 minutes. Is that enough for you? Probably not.

The good thing is that your Colosseum regular entry ticket is good for two days, and you are, as you say, "steps from the Colosseum" which means you are also a few more steps from the Forum. I would recommend getting up early the next morning and seeing the Forum then. Be at the gate at 8:30 am when it opens and (depending on how cautious you are on timing) you can have 90 minutes to 2 hours there. Go back to your hotel and get your shared shuttle.

Alternatively, are you arriving Rome closer to 1pm or closer to 2pm? If 1pm, you could see the Forum before your Colosseum visit possibly. Again, it's one ticket for both, so be sure you keep it for the Colosseum tour afterwards.

Given your interests, this is what I'd plan for your first stay, taking advantage of your location near the Colosseum:

Wednesday, 8/30:

Arrive Rome, check into hotel

Visit Colosseum for Underground tour

Have a drink at the rooftop terrace on the Hotel Forum and watch the sunset

Have dinner nearby (recommend Taverna dei Fori Imperiali but probably need reservations)

(ambitious add-on: Visit Capitoline Museum or Museum of the Imperial Forums after Colosseum visit -- both are open until 7:30 pm)

Thursday, 8/31:

Be at gate of Forum by 8:20; visit Forum until 10:00 am (or 10:30 if you're less anxious)

Return to hotel and catch shared shuttle to port.

For your second stay, you don't mention where you are staying in Rome. I'm going to assume a central location, so perhaps this:

Sunday, 9/10:

Arrive Rome early from Civitavecchia, and check into hotel (or at least leave bags)

Take a bus (I can help if needed with directions) or taxi to the Via Appia Antica to the area near the catacombs. There are three sets of catacombs near each other, but only two are open on Sundays: the Catacombs of Callixtus (9am to noon and 2-5 pm; address: Via Appia Antica, 110/126), and the Catacombs of Domitilla (same hours; located just off the Via Appia Antica at Via delle Sette Chiese, 282). You could see both if you are really interested. Sundays are the best day to visit Via Appia Antica, which is the ancient Roman road -- because most traffic is banned so it's more pleasant to walk. You can walk on part of the old road, see Roman tombs, etc. plus the catacombs. Rick Steves has an Appia Antica walk, I think -- look it up.

Later afternoon/evening: Visit Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain -- all located fairly close. Have dinner in a location near this area, it's very pleasant to stroll in the evening. Be sure to get to the Pantheon to see interior before it closes -- not sure on exact timing but would try to be there by 6pm at latest.

Monday 9/11:

Book one of the early entry Vatican tours to beat the crowds as much as you can. You have enough time to look for a tour that includes both the Vatican museum (which will include Sistine chapel) and St. Peter's basilica. (Yes, you can see it on Mondays.)

Check out of hotel and catch your train to Venice.

I may have missed something, but it's a framework to work on, without getting too crazy or changing your existing plans....

CruiseMom42, you are so amazingly helpful. I was hoping you would chime in. I think your plan will work better than my mess!

Do you have any opinions on doing the actual Vatican tour with guide or the Dark Rome tour? They both say 12-20 ppl per tour and have early starts (if I hurry & book). I don't know if one gives me more access to other places than the other.

I thought Monday's the Pope did an appearance or something, that's why I was going to miss part of the Vatican? Is that not correct?

Thanks so much! Any other opinions welcome.

CruiseMom42, you are so amazingly helpful. I was hoping you would chime in. I think your plan will work better than my mess!

Do you have any opinions on doing the actual Vatican tour with guide or the Dark Rome tour? They both say 12-20 ppl per tour and have early starts (if I hurry & book). I don't know if one gives me more access to other places than the other.

I thought Monday's the Pope did an appearance or something, that's why I was going to miss part of the Vatican? Is that not correct?

Thanks so much! Any other opinions welcome.

I don't have a strong opinion on which tour. I generally prefer to use the guides associated with an institution so for that reason only would probably choose the official Vatican tour. Both probably have similar itineraries and access, but read the descriptions carefully.

The Papal audiences are on Wednesdays when they are held.

Edited to add: Be sure to book the Vatican tour that includes both the Museums/Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica, as they have various options.

I'll just add one thought to cruisemom's excellent direction...

You mention that you just want to "see the hightlights", and the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. If that is the case I'd not waste money on a group tour. Two ways go to: just buy a timed entry ticket. That way, you can blow through what you don't want to see without being held back by the rest of the group. You will have to know in advance what you consider the "highlights". Or, go the totally opposite way and pay a premium and hire a private guide for yourself and tell the guide exactly what you want to see so you don't waste time with what you don't consider a "highlight."

We recently did the 3 hour tour through Dark Rome(City Wonders). If you have the 3 hours, the tour is outstanding...go as early as you can as it does get very crowded inside the Vatican Museum but it was absolutely fascinating (tour included Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's (with rapid access through any lines).

Thanks for all the great feedback. I booked Dark Rome tours for the Vatican cuz they have great reviews even though pricier than Real Vatican tour.

CruiseMom, I heard Trevi is under renovation. We saw it last time. We might skip it. What about Spanish Steps or Circus Maximus? Could I fit them in anywhere? I think we'll just do one Cattacomb and that street you mentioned. I also remember somewhere somebody said go to Panthenon at sunset?? Is that current, something about the light shining in.

Also, anyone know how I could find that keyhole view hill I've heard about or is it no big deal?

A couple other quick questions. About how much for taxi from Colosseun area to Vatican? Or is Metro better?? A little nervous about public transport cuz I don't do it much here in US.

Also, how much time should I allow at a Termini? I thought we'd arrive at 1:30 for our 2:50 pm departure. We have electronic tickets already, but I know Termini is big and confusing. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the great feedback. I booked Dark Rome tours for the Vatican cuz they have great reviews even though pricier than Real Vatican tour.

CruiseMom, I heard Trevi is under renovation. We saw it last time. We might skip it. What about Spanish Steps or Circus Maximus? Could I fit them in anywhere? I think we'll just do one Cattacomb and that street you mentioned. I also remember somewhere somebody said go to Panthenon at sunset?? Is that current, something about the light shining in.

Also, anyone know how I could find that keyhole view hill I've heard about or is it no big deal?

The Trevi fountain renovation is over, but if you've seen it (without scaffolding), you certainly don't have to go back. The Spanish steps aren't that big a deal either but many tourists want to see them for some reason.

The Pantheon will be closed for the evening by sunset in August and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone talk about it....? It's pleasant to sit on the piazza in front of it and enjoy a drink at sunset though. ;)

I think you could see the Circus Maximus after your Colosseum tour -- it's right next door. Just recently they opened it again (after years of restoration/excavation work) but you can see it pretty well just by walking along the street beside it (Via del Circo Massimo).

I think the keyhole view is somewhat overrated -- every single person who visits it goes on about it being a "hidden gem" (as if).... Don't make yourself crazy chasing things down that aren't close to your major wish list sites with such a short visit.

A couple other quick questions. About how much for taxi from Colosseun area to Vatican? Or is Metro better?? A little nervous about public transport cuz I don't do it much here in US.

Also, how much time should I allow at a Termini? I thought we'd arrive at 1:30 for our 2:50 pm departure. We have electronic tickets already, but I know Termini is big and confusing. Thanks again!

A taxi from the Colosseum area to the Vatican museum would be about 12-15 euro, more or less (by the meter; fare can vary due to traffic conditions). If you have them call a taxi from your hotel, the meter will start from wherever the taxi was when the call came in, so meter could be more.

In Rome you can only pick up a taxi at a designated taxi rank. There are generally some taxis beside the Colosseo metro station (directly across the street from the Colosseum). There's no hailing a passing cab though.

By metro I'd allow about a half hour or a bit more You'd get on at the Colosseo stop (buy a ticket in the machine, put it in the turnstile, and be sure to keep it as you'll need to use it again when you exit the final station). You'll get off at Termini metro station -- there's only one line, but look at map in the station to ensure you are getting on the train going in the right direction. At Termini, you'll switch to the other (Red) line in the direction of Battistini (last stop), and you will get off at the "Cipro" stop for the Vatican museum.

Regarding Termini, the station isn't THAT large (not like an airport); the fast trains generally leave from the tracks at the front of the station. The track for your train won't be posted until about half an hour before your departure (if you're lucky; sometimes it's even less.....) I'd probably plan to get there 45 minutes ahead of time. If you get there early, there's very limited seating so you'll just stand around and stare at the monitors.

We are taking a "privileged entry" tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica on 09/23/2017. The tour is a bit pricey, but we start at 7:30 AM, it's limited to 12 persons and is 3 - 3½ hours long.

Did you book this with Dark Rome, we did for for a tour that sounds just like this for October 2017.

Kathy

I also remember somewhere somebody said go to Panthenon at sunset?? Is that current, something about the light shining in.

If you mean the Parthenon in Athens, yes there is a point in being there at sunset.

If you mean the Pantheon in Rome, there is no point. The sun does shine in through the oculus, but it is best when it is overhead, not at sunset.

Unless you are taking of of the slow, regional trains to Civi, the fast trains all leave from a compact area within Termini. If you already have your tickets, you don't need to be there so early. Trust cruisemom - she knows her stuff!

Since she mentioned getting off the Metro at the Cipro station for the Vatican Museums: right across the street from the station at Via Della Meloria 43, you will find Pizzarium. Arguably the best pizza al taglio in Rome. So many different presentations of pizza toppings. And, good suppli and aranci, too! Do some 'net searches of the place and look at the photos. Grab some and eat as you walk up to the Museums or grab some on the way back to the Metro!!!

We took a cab from the Vatican to the Colosseum last Thursday and it was around 25 euro for 5 people (we had to have a van).