Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Trinidad & Tobago

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default info on Trinidad.

I have asked this question on the "ports of call " board but have not had any replies.

I would like a recommendation for a Princess tour in Port of Spain, Trinidad. We go there in December and would like to take a Princess tour as I am not sure about walking about on our own. I don`t particularly want to see the town itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Trinidad

We have been to Trinidad twice.
On both occaisions, we just hired a Taxi.

There are seven old Sea Captain houses there, called "The Magnificant Seven". We walked down the street, taking pictures of the houses.

There is also a very nice Botanical Garden in Trinidad.

Also, there is a very nice Monestary on top of a hill.

Trinidad is a more industrailized island.

Enjoy your Cruise.

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:35 AM
10,000+ Club

We really enjoyed our trip up into the mountains to the Asa Wright reserve. Check out the Asa Wright website.

Old September 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Take Princess Excursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber View Post
I have asked this question on the "ports of call " board but have not had any replies.

I would like a recommendation for a Princess tour in Port of Spain, Trinidad. We go there in December and would like to take a Princess tour as I am not sure about walking about on our own. I don`t particularly want to see the town itself.

Any help would be appreciated.
On the Sea Princess in 2006, in Trinidad I took the Princess excursion that
included a short tour of the downtown, including the Maginifcent 7, the botatnical gardens and then went to Maracas beach. We had a great tour guide and had a lot of fun. There were several busloads of us and they held the ship for us because we were all stuck in traffic coming back from the beach.I strongly suggest for safety and security reasons that you take a Princess excursion in Trinidad. Trinidad is not a typicial tourist island and the port is in an industrial area.

Old September 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you just walk around the town, as we did last Jan, you won't be impressed with much. The place is dirty with many areas crime ridden. We were warned by some of the locals not to go into certain areas which we were about to venture. There was practically nothing of interest to purchase or see in town & when we returned to the pier they had set up tents where some vendors had the typical island stuff for sale. This was the only island we've ever been to that Princess didn't have they're recommended vendor stores to visit.
If we ever do have it on our itinerary (which I will try to avoid) I'll definitely do a tour or stay on the ship. I can say we've been there but it's not a place I would ever desire to go back to.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
We really enjoyed our trip up into the mountains to the Asa Wright reserve. Check out the Asa Wright website.
We enjoyed the ship's tour that went there.

Old September 27th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have not been to Trinidad via cruise, but have spent a significant amount of time there to visit distant relatives.

As others have said Trinidad is not a touristy place at all. If your itinerary brings you to other islands, I would not bother with the beach in Trinidad, Maracas beach is a bit of a drive and I think pretty much every other beach in the Caribbean is better.

If you like hiking, the Asa Wright nature area is a nice trip - one of my favorites in the Caribbean.

I am absolutely the last person to book excursions through the ship, but in the case of Trinidad, I would seriously consider it. Trinidad can be a bit of a rough place.

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are nicer places to visit and Trinidad is probably one of the worst.

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneAm View Post
On the Sea Princess in 2006, in Trinidad I took the Princess excursion that
included a short tour of the downtown, including the Maginifcent 7, the botatnical gardens and then went to Maracas beach. We had a great tour guide and had a lot of fun. There were several busloads of us and they held the ship for us because we were all stuck in traffic coming back from the beach.I strongly suggest for safety and security reasons that you take a Princess excursion in Trinidad. Trinidad is not a typicial tourist island and the port is in an industrial area.
We did the same tour , it was a nice overview of the island , I would not recommed walking around on your own. We did our shopping right at the port, got a couple things there. We were there in Feb/March and it was HOT. Take water with you.
Cori

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HappyCruiser View Post
There are nicer places to visit and Trinidad is probably one of the worst.
I have been to almost every island in the Caribbean, and sadly this is true. Outside of Carnival (the festival not the company), I really dont understand why this is a port call. As harsh as it sounds (and I have family there) it is true.

As far as Tobago (same country, different island) goes, the opposite is true. That is a place I'd like to go again. Nice sleepy safe island with nice beaches.

Last edited by cdamion; September 27th, 2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: addition

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamion View Post
I have been to almost every island in the Caribbean, and sadly this is true. Outside of Carnival (the festival not the company), I really dont understand why this is a port call. As harsh as it sounds (and I have family there) it is true.

As far as Tobago (same country, different island) goes, the opposite is true. That is a place I'd like to go again. Nice sleepy safe island with nice beaches.
Well if Princess decides to go to Tobago I'll make it a point to take a trip there since we have been to every island in the Caribbean that Princess stops at & I'm always looking for a new port.
We did fine some nice people in Trinidad near the Cathedral who warned us not to venture towards the the other church on the path I was going on. They were telling us of all the muggings that had recently taken place so we abandoned the walk & stayed in the populated areas.
Next time (if there is one) it'll be on some sort of a tour or stay on the ship.

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
5,000+ Club

We were in Port of Spain twice on B2B March 2010. Our experience was great. Once we shared a Van taxi with another couple for $60 total for 2 full hours. The other time for $4 each we took a shared Van that dropped us in town. Perhaps the Port of Spain we visited was not in the same Universe as others.

And when I read this from 1HappyCruiser:

"....If you just walk around the town, as we did last Jan, you won't be impressed with much. The place is dirty with many areas crime ridden. We were warned by some of the locals not to go into certain areas which we were about to venture."

I assumed that the poster was writing about San Francisco!

Old September 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan_sfo View Post

We were in Port of Spain twice on B2B March 2010. Our experience was great. Once we shared a Van taxi with another couple for $60 total for 2 full hours.
Really...how interesting.

Lew

Old September 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
5,000+ Club

The Brian Lara (famous cricketeer) promenade / square that leads to the Pier was clean and had the Stock Exchange and other financial buildings. And there were many cruisers (including us) who walked back to the ship from the shopping area. It was really hot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lew- View Post
Really...how interesting.

Lew

Old September 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Trinidad is one of the strangest countries I have visited. Several year ago I flew in . The immigration official asked how long we were staying and I replied, "Only two days. I know that is not long enough to see your country." She replied, "yes ,it is."
Then the taxi driver when asked what he recommended we see replied, "There is nothing to see." I couldn't believe it but obviously tourismisn't important
STELLA SOLARIS-AUGUST 1996
NILE CRUISE-AUGUST 1997
OOSTERDAM- APRIL 2008
P AND O'S SPIRIT OF BILBAO-SEPTEMBER 2008
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS JANUARY 2009
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS DECEMBER 2009
GOLDEN PRINCESS MAY 2010
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS MAY 2010
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS SEPTEMBER 2010
CROWN PRINCESS DECEMBER 2010
CROWN PRINCESS, MAY 2011
GOLDEN PRINCESS SEPTEMBER 2011
EMERALD PRINCESS DECEMBER 2011
GOLDEN PRINCESS MAY 2012
GOLDEN PRINCESS MAY 2014
GRAND PRINCESS JUNE 2014
CORAL PRINCESS SEPT 2014

AND OTHER PRINCESS

Old September 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Trinidad last January en route to the Amazon and chose to take the Princess excursion to the Angostura Bitters company. The few hour trip include a drive through the city (sufficient to see the major highlights), stop at an overview for a look at the port, and a tour and tasting at the factory. We learned a lot about the history of the island and the company,got to drink lots of rum drinks, and viewed a special exhibit on butterflies! We enjoyed it.

Old September 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

We stopped in Trinidad on the Grand in January. My wife and I walked off the ship into town, found the famous 7 houses and walked the whole day, practically every street in town. We began counting the number of homeless people sleeping on the street after a bit trying to determine an average HPPM (homeless people per mile)

We have cruised a lot and been to most Caribbean Islands, and this was by far the worst.

All I can say is if the world ever needs an enema Trinidad is where they will insert the tube.

IMHO

Barry

Emerald Princess Copenhagen-NY 2012
Coral Princess FLL-Vancouver 2011
Golden Princess LA-Hawaii-LA 2010
Grand Princess Caribbean 2010
Diamond Princess BTB Alaska 2009
Coral Princess BTB Alaska 2008
Diamond Princess BTB Alaska 2008
Freedom of the Seas 2008
Tahitian Princess BTB 2007
Coral Princess 2006
Caribbean Princess 2005
Star Princess 2004
Celebrity Zenith 2004
Tahitian Princess 2003
Regal Princess 2000
Raphsody of the Seas 2000
Carnival Jubilee 1999
Crown Princess 1998
Regal Princess 1997
Crown Princess 1996
Sun Princess 1995
Cunard Princess 1993
Carnival Triumph 1990

Old September 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you all for the information. I will be taking a tour now.

Last edited by caber; September 28th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Old September 28th, 2010, 01:07 AM
20,000+ Club

Trinidad is probably the only island nation that I didn't feel comfortable in. Much of their history has been left to crumble but I will admit that in recent times there have been some restoration efforts made. For sure I would book a ship's excursion if this is your first visit.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old September 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrojanoski View Post
We stopped in Trinidad on the Grand in January. My wife and I walked off the ship into town, found the famous 7 houses and walked the whole day, practically every street in town. We began counting the number of homeless people sleeping on the street after a bit trying to determine an average HPPM (homeless people per mile)

We have cruised a lot and been to most Caribbean Islands, and this was by far the worst.

All I can say is if the world ever needs an enema Trinidad is where they will insert the tube.

IMHO

Barry
LOL- I think it could even take first place over Jamaica, which I thought was the worst until I visited Trinidad .