New Port: NYC: Red Hook, Brooklyn

LauraS

Thanks Laura. The Motel by the tunnel is not near anything and is an industrial neighborhood. The Brooklyn Marriott is nice more expensive and but no free parking. I live about 2 miles from the pier(ok maybe three), in a brownstone neighborhood. If anyone has any questions please ask. I posted on another thread that on Saturday we went down to Red Hook for lunch and the workers came in on a break. They expect it to be ready by 4-15 and its looks on the outside that it is serviceable already.

Thanks Laura. The Motel by the tunnel is not near anything and is an industrial neighborhood. The Brooklyn Marriott is nice more expensive and but no free parking. I live about 2 miles from the pier(ok maybe three), in a brownstone neighborhood. If anyone has any questions please ask. I posted on another thread that on Saturday we went down to Red Hook for lunch and the workers came in on a break. They expect it to be ready by 4-15 and its looks on the outside that it is serviceable already.

The green street directional signs that direct you to the "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal" are now up...

Since its been asked many times here are the approximate miles to the Piers from the three NY Airports

Kennedy(direct way by streets) 15 miles

Kennedy via Van wyck to Grand Central to LIE to BQE and pier 20 miles

Kennedy via Belt Parkway to Pier 25 miles

Newark 16 miles(via 1-9 Skyway to Holland Tunnel to Brooklyn Battery Tunnel)

LGA 11 miles(BQE to exit 27).

Welcome to my Cruise Critic friends from across the pond- (England). I have learned my share from these boards and now i can give back. A proud Cruiser from Brooklyn--Blue collar worker-Carnivals best customer. I will be working the security detail and press conference on Sat April 15 2006 for this Historic Brooklyn Day. I can help with questions about Brooklyn--Getting around and ways to get to Manhattan. I have been assured that plenty of Ground transportation will be available. Taxis Shuttle buses and airport Transfers.

Please post questions and Bklynites will answer. WELCOME-SMOOTHE Sail:D

Hello Tomtravel,

I am going to be on the Golden Princess when it docks at Red Hook on May 6th. Do you know what limo/car service companies will service Red Hook? I need to get from there to my hotel in Jersey City. Most of the companies haven't heard of it yet.

Thank you so much for your help.

Since it hasn't open yet-tomorrow is the first date, the drivers will start to learn it quickly. Its in Brooklyn Just beyond the Brooklyn Battery tunnel. That they should know. It will be on the news tomorrow. Print out directions just in case. The entrance to the Terminal is at Ismay and Bowne street. Use mapquest. Its Brooklyn NY 11231

no most of the information on cabs on that site is WRONG!!! The Cruise critic info is much better and more accurate. Example its is 11 miles from LGA 20-25 minutes without traffic. Taxi's in NY do not charge extra for additional people or luggage to name a few...

Thanks for all of your help. We were hoping to rent a car once we arrive @ Red Hook on May 6th. Any ideas what would be the closest or easiest way to do this. Guessing the airport as I couldn't find any rental car offices in Brooklyn. If the airport is the place do you know if the rental car companies are running shuttles thorugh the peir. Thanks again.

Thanks for all of your help. We were hoping to rent a car once we arrive @ Red Hook on May 6th. Any ideas what would be the closest or easiest way to do this. Guessing the airport as I couldn't find any rental car offices in Brooklyn. If the airport is the place do you know if the rental car companies are running shuttles thorugh the peir. Thanks again.

There is a new Avis office at Atlantic Avenue and Court Street. Call AVis and see if they are running a shuttle. If not enterprise which promises to pick up is at 3rd Avenue and 9th Street. But it closes Saturday at noon and is closed on Sunday. Rentals at the NY airports are amoung the most expensive in the country....

Thanks smeyer, you were a big help. Saved me $20.00 on the rental with Avis not to mention I'm guessing around $30.00 in cab fare difference between the aiprort and going 1 1/2 miles to Atlantic Avenue location(I will call about shuttle in the morning). I will also be able to drop car off right @ the hotel we are going to in Springfield MA as there is an Avis office @ the hotel.Convenient and cheaper. This worked out great. Thanks again.

Thanks smeyer, you were a big help. Saved me $20.00 on the rental with Avis not to mention I'm guessing around $30.00 in cab fare difference between the aiprort and going 1 1/2 miles to Atlantic Avenue location(I will call about shuttle in the morning). I will also be able to drop car off right @ the hotel we are going to in Springfield MA as there is an Avis office @ the hotel.Convenient and cheaper. This worked out great. Thanks again.

If they won't pick you up ask them to pay for the cab. The ride should be about $6.00 or so...You want directions from the Pier to Avis?

If the Cab gives you lip just tell him he can come back again at the terminal in 5 minutes and give him a couple of bucks tip...

Here are the directions just in case straight out the exit to hamilton ave ahead 4 or 5 lights to Smith Street(its just before the draw bridge).left onto to Smith Street..staight up to atlantic avenue make a left...after Boerum Place(the next light) Avis is in the garage on your right in the building where the YMCA is(I am on the Board of the YMCA).....

I will ask about getting Avis to pick up cab fare. I have printed out a Yahoo map from pier to Avis but am going to write down your directions as well. I have never been to NYC and am kind of a stickler when it comes to knowing where I'm at/ going.

I thank you again for your help. This site never ceases to amaze me for obtaining help quickly.

I will ask about getting Avis to pick up cab fare. I have printed out a Yahoo map from pier to Avis but am going to write down your directions as well. I have never been to NYC and am kind of a stickler when it comes to knowing where I'm at/ going.

I thank you again for your help. This site never ceases to amaze me for obtaining help quickly.

I'll bet the directions say to go up Clinton Street or Hicks Street or even to take the highway to Atlantic Avenue(the highway if it isn't backed up is fastest)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could someone provide the address of the Water Taxi stop? Comments on other threads indicate that the distance to the new Cruise Ship Terminal is too great for pedestrians. Are there sidewalks between the two and/or public transportation? What do the commuters who use the Water Taxi do when they disembark at Red Hook?

Captaintandem and I were thinking that if we were in transit on a ship that docked for the day at Red Hook that it might be fun to take the Water Taxi to Manhattan. Also, if there are any interesting sights/restaurants/museums within walking distance we would be interested in learning about them also.

Distances don't concern us as much as the prospect of walking on the shoulder of a busy highway .

Thanks in advance.

Could someone provide the address of the Water Taxi stop? Comments on other threads indicate that the distance to the new Cruise Ship Terminal is too great for pedestrians. Are there sidewalks between the two and/or public transportation? What do the commuters who use the Water Taxi do when they disembark at Red Hook?

Captaintandem and I were thinking that if we were in transit on a ship that docked for the day at Red Hook that it might be fun to take the Water Taxi to Manhattan. Also, if there are any interesting sights/restaurants/museums within walking distance we would be interested in learning about them also.

Distances don't concern us as much as the prospect of walking on the shoulder of a busy highway .

Thanks in advance.

I believe the water Taxi stop is by the new Fairway supermarket(that opens on wednesday-500 Van Brunt Street). yes there are sidewalks LOL what do you think this is the country? Its about 3/4 of mile from where you can get can out of the pier by walking. There is a bus but it stops a few blocks away. For the bus you either need a metro card or $2.00 each way in coins only. NO communter takes the water taxi to Red Hook. The water taxi $5.00 per person each way. Since you can get to downtown Manhattan for $20.00 by cab- take the cab. The closest subway stop is smith-9th street on the F train and then about a 1/2 mile walk to the entrance to the pier and another 1/2 mile to the ship.

Yes there are resturarants and a museum on the water. 360 Van Brunt(resturant) is a good restuarant and there is a muesum and park that is occassional open. The hope and Anchor has a good brunch.

You don't have to walk on the highway.

Thank-you smeyer418, you have been a veritable font of information regarding the Red Hook terminal. I very much appreciate knowing the address of the Water Taxi.

Yes there are sidewalks LOL what do you think this is the country?

How did you know we lived in the country? Oh, right, we're from Maine. :D

You don't have to walk on the highway.

Well that's certainly a relief :).

smeyer....Will they really let you schlep all of your luggage on a water taxi? Can't imagine that happening with our water taxis in Baltimore.

We're taking taxis, but I'm just curious. Thanks! ;)

Its about 3/4 of mile from where you can get can out of the pier by walking. Yes there are resturarants and a museum on the water. 360 Van Brunt(resturant) is a good restuarant and there is a muesum and park that is occassional open. The hope and Anchor has a good brunch.

The water taxis are fairly large. If they are touting them to take people to a new supermarket- I suspect they will allow the luggage. But you will just have to get a cab when you get off the Water taxi anyway. Unless the water taxis are allowed to pick up at the Cruise terminal, I don't see many people using them. I sometimes just answer people questions without giving my opinion as to whether its a good idea or not.

Archived