Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > New England

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bar Harbor tours?

Hi,
I'm sure I read somewhere on here about FREE bus tours to Arcadia Park. I can't find that information now. Something about city busses, just outside of the dock. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Thanks!

Old August 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

http://www.exploreacadia.com/

Here's the link.

Old August 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Marla! Interesting link, but I'm pretty sure what I saw was not an LL Bean bus.
The busses I'm talking about went into Arcadia National Park, right from the cruise port. I remember reading that you needed to walk PAST all the other tour companies before you saw these busses. ??
Anyone else?

Oopps, Just noticed that was NOT an LL Bean bus.
Thanks!

Last edited by mcdmom; August 10th, 2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add info.

Old August 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
5,000+ Club

Enjoy your cruise! I hope you have a wonderful time ... the scenery is beautiful. Jan
8/17/08 - Mariner of the Seas - & 35th wedding anniversary
8/23/09 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise -36th anniversary - 5 days late
10/9/10 - Radiance of the Seas - From Tampa, FL-DD's first cruise
10/8/11 - Oasis of the Seas - Eastern (DH's early 60th birthday)
9/14/12 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda (Jan's 60th birthday cruise - oh my!)
8/17/13 - Oasis - B2B Cruise - 40th Anniversary (DS & DDIL (first leg of cruise - 1st anniversary).
8/24/13 - Oasis - 2nd leg of the cruise
9/5/2014 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda - 1st suite - mortgage paid off celebration!!!
8/15/2015 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise (3 new ports) - 42nd Anniversary

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (William Penn)

Old August 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Smile

mcdmom asked: ....I read somewhere on here about FREE bus tours to Arcadia Park. ..........Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

What you are asking about is the Island Explorer free bus http://www.exploreacadia.com/ funded by LL Bean. Notice I did not write "FREE bus tours" because IE does not offer tours, just transportation on 7 bus routes on MDI. To make it a tour, take a tour book with you and read it as you ride .

You board at the BH town green which is 2 blocks up the hill (Main St) as you leave the tender dock.

The only down side to using the IE is that it does not have a route that goes to the top of Cadillac Mountian. To do that you'll have to go with an independent tour company:
http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/
http://www.acadiatours.com/

SBtS

Old August 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everybody!

Old August 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We just got back last week from Explorer of the Seas JUly 31-August 9.Originally we had planned to do the free shuttle(doesn't go to Cadillac Mnt) and then booked the Olly's Trolley.The cruise before us had difficulty getting passengers off the ship as this is a Tender port.So we opted to do a walking tour Back in time early am,which then gave us plenty of time for shopping,We went back to the ship for a quick bit and to drop off our purchases.Our Olly Tour was at 2pm for 2 1/2 hours Acadia:.Best scenery of the cruise.We still had time to get a Lobster Roll and a Blueberry Ale before heading back to our ship.We also had the best weather of our cruise..You will love it.I can only imagine how beautiful Acadia will be in the Fall