Santorini - Car Rental

SabreSailor

We're going to be on the same cruise and are going to be renting a car in Santorini as well. I am looking into options. Have you made plans for Corfu and Argostoli? Am still trying to decide what we will do in those ports.

Renting a car on Santorini was really easy. We had no reservations, just walked just off the main st and found a small rental company. We rented a Smart Car, (good choice), it was really cheap on gas, gets you arround the island easily, and can be parked in just about any spot.

We're going to be on the same cruise and are going to be renting a car in Santorini as well. I am looking into options. Have you made plans for Corfu and Argostoli? Am still trying to decide what we will do in those ports.

We think we can find enough in Corfu to do on foot reasonably close to the ship (we are big walkers), but Argostoli is still up in the air....

Corfu has a beautiful old downtown to stroll around, lots of restaurants etc, but the island is gorgeous too, we drove around and stopped at several beaches, Argostoli, definitely rent a car, because there is nothing downtown, take a ride up north to Fiskardo, a gorgeous little port,and then let me know ,what you thought of it, regards, borretje@earthlink.net

Please help me with "proof of insurance" - in NY, insurance companies give us certificates for each vehicle to be carried in the appropriate vehicle - but no general proof of insurance. Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks....

That certificate would be fine, even a recent bill, just something that shows your name and insurance # to show them. We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered, but then I tend to go overboard in worrying about everything :p

We reserved our car ahead of time mainly because there were lots of ships in port that day and we wanted to be sure to get one. May not have been necessary, but this goes along with my wanting to be sure of everything! lol.

That certificate would be fine, even a recent bill, just something that shows your name and insurance # to show them. We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered, but then I tend to go overboard in worrying about everything :p

We reserved our car ahead of time mainly because there were lots of ships in port that day and we wanted to be sure to get one. May not have been necessary, but this goes along with my wanting to be sure of everything! lol.

Hi Carolyn -

I just spoke with USAA and they said that they don't cover rental cars in Europe - so I guess the best thing is to go with the rental agency's insurance....

Hi Carolyn -

I just spoke with USAA and they said that they don't cover rental cars in Europe - so I guess the best thing is to go with the rental agency's insurance....

Oh, I am SO sorry. I just dug out our info, and now I remember. We asked USAA first, they said no, but our Visa through Navy Federal does cover it, as long as you use that credit card for the car and decline the rental agency's insurance. I'm so sorry for the wrong info.

We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered

Suggest you double check that coverage with USAA for future reference. Unless they have changed their policies recently, DOMESTIC rental car contracts are covered, but not International.

Suggest you double check that coverage with USAA for future reference. Unless they have changed their policies recently, DOMESTIC rental car contracts are covered, but not International.

Right you are, my mistake. In post #10 above yours I said that I'd confused our USAA coverage with our Visa coverage through Navy Federal.

SabreSailor have you checked with your credit card company? Sometimes they cover foreign car rental insurance, as ours does.

Archived