Tour guide for Jerusalem recommendation

cosmo1027

Hi - I will be in Tel Aviv for work. I have one day free and I would like to take a one day tour to either Jerusalem or a Jerusalem/Bethlehem combination tour that includes pick-up/drop-off at my hotel in Tel Aviv.

I read a lot of good recommendataions on here for Guided Tours Israel, however they will not book for just 1 person.

If anyone can give me a recommendation, preferably first hand experience, for a good tour operator I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited by cosmo1027

Hi - I will be in Tel Aviv for work. I have one day free and I would like to take a one day tour to either Jerusalem or a Jerusalem/Bethlehem combination tour that includes pick-up/drop-off at my hotel in Tel Aviv.

I read a lot of good recommendataions on here for Guided Tours Israel, however they will not book for just 1 person.

If anyone can give me a recommendation, preferably first hand experience, for a good tour operator I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I think that you are in the wrong place.

As far as I know Guided Tours Israel are operating only shore excursions in Israel.

Go over to the Israel Forum in TripAdvisor. I think you'll get more information there.

Kim:

You can easily take a bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem so I would search the web for day tours in Jerusalem. Or even wait until you get there and look for brochures at your hotel.

When we were there last Dec we picked up a number of reasonably priced tour brochures. Unluckily I do not believe that my daughter kept any of them.

Thanks for the response. I realize this forum is for port tours, however since I only have 1 day for a tour i thought it would be a good place for recommendations. I may just wait until I am there and set something up through the hotel.

Thanks again.

• 5 months later...

Our family went to Israel on a cruise in 2011. My husband and I loved the country so much that we decided to go back to the Holy Land. We returned yesterday from Israel and Jordan. We used an outstanding guide in Israel named Sam Eli (email guide.holy@gmail.com) He will do excursions for land visitors and also meet cruise ships. My husband and I spent an entire day with Sam. He was able to take us to special places that the average guide cannot access. We also toured Jericho, Bethany, and the Baptismal site. Sam was very knowledgeable about the area and responded to my emails promptly. We were very glad that we used him.

Hi knippsel, I found Sam via a recommendation in a guide to Israel by someone who visits often. The author is on Trip Advisor as "Labatt." Sam also told me that he is listed as a recommended guide on page 77 in Frommer's. The tour price will depend on what you do and how far you travel. We had very specific requests and found him to be competitive with other guides.

Aqua. Thanks for the recommendation for Sam Eli. May I ask how you found him? Can you give an idea of what he might charge for a day?

Realize that Sam is not licensed to serve as a tour guide in Israel and that doing so is illegal. He therefore does not carry insurance for this and can be stopped from doing it if caught. He is permitted to serve as a guide for areas under Palestinian Authority control.

Because Sam was born in Bethlehem, he is not an Israeli citizen and is ineligible for licensure. In my travels, I have been in many vehicles where the driver did not make me feel safe. Sam was a careful driver who instilled confidence. I always carry travel insurance in case of any mishaps of any kind. Everyone must have their own comfort level with the guide that they choose. In my opinion, Sam is an excellent guide who has extensive connections. If I return to Israel, I would use him again.

• 1 year later...