Cruise from Cape Liberty-visit NYC

freepeople

We are cruising to Bermuda in Sept from Cape Liberty on Liberty OTS. We are arriving a couple of days early to visit NYC. I need advice/suggestions on where to stay, transportation to/from airport and cruise port and into NYC. We will fly into/out of NJ. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

That's a really low hotel budget for NYC. Taxes will add ~15%.

You may need to consider staying in NJ, near a PATH station so you can get into NYC easily.

Another option is to bid on Priceline--but I couldn't find anything, even bidding up to $225, for NYC last September.

Look at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Free airport shuttle plus free shuttle to Newark Penn Station a few blocks away where you can get the NJ Transit train the New York Penn Station for $5/pp and PATH to World Trade Center for $2.75. It comes with free breakfast. Cost of a taxi or car service to Cape Liberty will be $50-60, which is about the same as the cost from any airport hotel.

The hotel offers good prepay rates and AAA/senior rates.

Labor Day is very late this year. Businesses in Manhattan usually don't schedule any important meetings and events until after Labor Day. Meantime, most schools are back in session, meaning no families booking hotels. Hotwire might have some deals. Not as low as $150, for Manhattan but there was a four star Empire State Building listed for $175. I don't know if staying in Manhattan is important to you or not, but you might be able to get a deal because of the week you chose.

On Hotwire I'm seeing the 4* hotel in North Bergen/hoboken which should be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor for $90 + tax ( about $113 total per night). You would have to pay for a car service to the hotel, but you would be right near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel with an easy bus or ferry option to Manhattan.

If you can roll your luggage, there is a light rail stop very close to the hotel where you can go all the way to Bayonne 34th St for $2.10/pp with a transfer at any station between Newport and Liberty State Park to the 8th St Hoboken train. Totally accessible with luggage - the light rail runs on the surface. Cab from the 34th St station into the port is about $10, so you can make the whole trip for under $15! http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

This choice won't last long - it's too good a price.

freepeople ~

Just to reinforce Carol's (138east) previous post: The Lincoln Harbor Sheraton at that price is a fantastic bargain. The location is excellent, with cheap & easy public transportation to NYC and to Bayonne (Cape Liberty). Plus, the views from the hotel are outstanding.

This short video shows a Manhattan ferry at the ferry slip just outside the hotel. The Sheraton itself is seen at about 30 seconds into the video:

There is no guarantee it will be the Sheraton, but the only other 4* hotel in that area is the W in Hoboken which is almost never on Hotwire and not at that price. If you're concerned about prepaying, buy the Hotwire insurance. This is a fantastic deal if you're serious about seeing NYC and taking the cruise.

I came back to Boston in a snowstorm after my Quantum cruise and I was pretty sure I would not be able to get out to the burbs and have my husband pick me up. I hotwired a $99 Back Bay Boston hotel, bought the insurance, and got the Sheraton. I was so excited because I knew that despite the blizzard I could walk to the hotel indoors through Copley Place and the Pru. Best decision I made on that awful day.