What do you wear on your flight?

kelkel2

So we will be traveling this coming January and I am asking now, because I am starting to buy an outfit here and there for our cruise.

But this year Delta offered us an upgrade to first class for $75 so um yeah we jumped on that! But we will be leaving Chicago in the middle of winter and arriving in Miami. Cold one place and hot in the other. But I want to look nice and be comfortable. Plus, we may not have access to our room right away to change. I was planning on killing some time walking to the nearby Walgreens and a coffee shop if we couldn't get into our room right away.

I need some ideas of what I could wear on the flight that I'm not going to freeze in chicago or burn up in Miami. We are getting dropped off at the door at the airport so we wouldn't be outside for long other than maybe a minute or two...

We usually have a layover somewhere. That's when I usually change from long pants to shorts and from shoes & socks to sandals. But if you're flying direct, you can change at the Miami airport in the ladies room before you go to baggage claim. You could wear a light-weight coat and brave the Chicago cold until you're inside and then put your coat in your carry-on. Obviously your carry-on will be full, lol.

I always dress in layers! We are traveling in December to Bonaire for a dive trip, so it'll be cold here when we leave and hot there when we arrive. I typically wear a nice, somewhat loose, pair of jeans - a short sleeve (solid) t-shirt and a jacket/cardigan and scarf. Normally I wear ballet flats or a pair of Sketchers that slip on/off. I normally pack a pair of shorts or something in my carry-on to change into once I arrive if I cannot check-in right away and since I normally wear a plain short sleeve t-shirt under everything and ballet flats, it works out just fine!

I typically wear a pant with some stretch (for travel, I love my Eileen Fisher slim fit ankle pants). From a cold to warm climate, you'll want layers. Start off with shoes, tank or short sleeve tee, sweater (and maybe even a light scarf? That you could wear for evenings on the cruise). Pack sandals in your carry-on. When I arrive, I can shed the sweater and change shoes and be cool enough to survive for a while.

(if I were flying carry-on only, I would change to a sundress or shorts on the ship - I do not fly in skirts/dresses or shorts - personal preference to have my legs fully covered)

I wear khakis, shoes & sox (get too cold on planes to wear sandals, so I carry them in my bag), short sleeved shirt with a cardigan over it. When we get to the warm weather airport, go to the restroom and change from shoes/sox to sandals, take off the cardigan.

We put our winter jackets in the outside picket of our suitcases and leave them there until we get back to the cold weather airport.

So I'm thinking jeans a top and a sweater and a cardigan that I can take off. My sister is dropping me off at the airport and the only time I'll be outside is to get my luggage from the back of her SUV and into the airport. I think I can rough it without a jacket. Maybe?

Maybe I'll have her leave it in her car.. I am hoping to not carry it onto the plane. I'd totally lose it. :) Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Edited by kelkel2

Personally, I don't take a coat. I'm only going house-car-airport, not like I'm going to be standing outside for any length of time. Yes, I live in an area where we have actual Winter, with snow, below freezing temps…

What I wear depends on how long the flights will be, what time of day I'm flying. What I wear is not dependent on what class of ticket I have. I don't care if I look nice; I want to be comfortable. If I'm going cross-country or TATL, I always have a second change of clothes in whatever I bring onboard. I usually start out with yoga pants, a tank top and a over shirt/sweater. I tend to get hot on flights, especially overnight ones, so I want to be able to shed the shirt/sweater.

My travel uniform from my cold state to a warm-weather one is usually something like this:

• cropped straight leg chino pants (gray or khaki) or rolled cropped boyfriend jeans
  • short sleeve tee (usually a french stripe one or plain white)
  • solid color cardigan or light-weight blazer or white button up shirt (I ditch this into into my leather tote before landing at my destination)
  • scarf (light weight one, not a winter one!)
  • leather flats
  • leather tote

If it is 5 million degrees below zero in MN (which I will point out is most MN winter days), I may add a light-weight down vest to the above ensemble, which rolls up into nothing and is put into my leather tote at some point during travel.

Edited by Blanq

We travel from Colorado in the winter. I wear yoga pants, a short sleeved shirt (sometimes a long sleeved shirt), cashmere socks, a pashmina, my Keen water shoes (cause they're too heavy to pack) & a hooded featherweight down parka (weighs less than a sweatshirt & has its own pack bag). I've been stuck once without a coat & that will never happen again.

Edited by awhfy

Brrr, you northern and midwestern gals are making me feel cold, lol. We don't get much snow or below freezing temps in Seattle so it makes it a little easier. I've been known (once) to wear black socks with my black Keen sandals, then remove the socks on the plane once we get closer to our destination. :eek:

Sounds like everybody has a plan and does well with it. Happy travels! I only travel via RV now but hope to cruise again some day. I miss the Caribbean beaches so much.

I always wear a decent pair of black slacks, a washable/hang to dry type top, a cardigan and shoes I can wear to dinner if I must but are comfortable for travel (usually leather flats). I wear a thinnish fleeze jacket that I can stuff into the pocket of my suitcase when we arrive.

In the event my luggage is lost, I can manage for a few days rewearing those black slacks until either my luggage is found or I can buy some clothes.

Edited by sail7seas

Never wear a coat either - and I'm coming from Canada! LOL

Usual outfit includes:

-stretchy black yoga type pants (very comfy on plane - as mentioned never take jeans - not comfy to sit in on plane and I never wear them in the caribbean)

-cotton t-shirt (usually stripe or print in case I spill something LOL)

-black hoodie - if not leaving in dead of winter - a stretchy/cotton one - otherwise my velour one - nice and cozy - and I have used it on the ship when in those freezing cold public places (and it has some 'bling' on it :))

-socks/runners (heaviest shoes)

I would pack another t shirt and a pair of flip flops in my carryon so I can change if required - and of course pack the hoodie into the suitcase when we land if not needed!

I used to work in MSP and travel back to Gulf Coast. Wearing jeans is bulky and you will have absolutely no use for them on the cruise. I wear a soft pair of tights under a pair of pants I would be bringing anyway.

You really don't need to dress up for domestic first class. There is no dress code and you will see all kinds of "fashion" in the front of the plane. Just be clean, presentable and keep your naked feet off the bulkhead and you will be fine.

For air travel I wear jeans, tshirt, my heaviest shoes and bring a hoodie This is going from cold to hot or hot to cold. When we went to Alaska and Norway I wore my hiking shoes and my other trips I wore my sketchers.

It is not often that I get to travel from cold :)…. To warm by air. But when I do I generally wear:

A Pair of Black slacks with closed toed shoes and compression trouser socks (for healthy travel and those dirty airport floors :D)

A short sleeve blouse usually made from some sort of natural fiber

A lightweight scarf….decorative and for warmth 

A Blazer, or button down sweater (usally the former) I get very cold on the plane.

If where I am flying from is bitterly cold or has a layover in a place that is snowing…. I will wear/carry an actual coat. If you have every been stuck or stranded somewhere freezing cold you did not expect to be … you may carry one too :D (The Flight attendants will usually hang your coat in the forward cabin so you do not need to deal with it on the plane)

My other alternative is:

A short sleeve long knit dress in a solid colour with the same closed toed shoes and compression socks,

A Decorative scarf

A button down sweater

When I arrive at my warm destination, I remove the jacket/sweater, socks, and switch my shoes to some sort of strappy shoe that was hidden away in my carry on…. :D

tmee

Thanks guys! You all are giving me so many ideas! :) It's not that I feel like I need to dress up. But I always have this internal struggle between wanting to wear super comfy clothes and wear something super cute that maybe may not be as comfortable. Plus the climate thing always complicates things.

I do think I will wear some sort of sweater since I was planning on packing one anyways.

Disclaimer: I tend to freeze on planes, so I'm in a different mind set.

I tend to do stretch jeans, a 3/4 length sleeve tee, a cardigan, ballet flats or loafers with socks, and a lightweight scarf. And no matter what I have a sweatshirt or fleece in my tote bag. If I'm landing in Florida and it's warm (I've had 45 degrees at Disney in January more than once) the socks and cardigan come off.

And I now have 24 hours in my tote bag both coming and going. I learned that lesson the hard way last winter when my connection in Atlanta was cancelled due to a NY snow storm. Had the fleece and scarf while waiting for airport shuttle, but needed a cab ride to CVS for underwear, socks and something to sleep in. I was totally okay with jeans and cardigan a second day.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

My first piece of advice when someone asks a question like yours is to remind the poster to always check the weather a few days before you leave your home for your cruise because even, as in Miami, it may mostly be warm in January, there are times it has been freezing cold. So always check the weather before leaving home.

Good thinking to pack a sweater as I find the MDR to be too cool for me in the evenings and sometimes out on deck...even in the Caribbean.

I would wear a pair of whatever type of pants you feel most comfortable in (for me that would be a pr. of Capri pant or boyfriend jeans) or a maxi skirt; a top (tank, short, long sleeve, whatever); either a lightweight sweater or a cardigan; and a pair of tennis shoes (the heaviest pair of shoes I take with me...usually all white Chuck All Stars). I don't bother changing clothes. In that outfit, unless it was cold when I landed) I would just remove my sweater or cardigan and put it in my tote. I never travel without a tote bag.

A perfect example of a travel outfit I've been wearing on everyone of my recent outward bound flights to FL (I travel there 4 times a year from CA to visit my parents) is as follows:

A lightweight cotton, long-sleeved, blk/wht stripped t-shirt; lightweight denim boyfriend jeans (rolled up at the hem); a tunic-length, hooded, heavy-weight, cotton cardigan (no zipper or buttons); wht. short socks; and my all white Chucks. It's my dream travel outfit. So comfy, so me, and perfect for almost any warm weather destination. If it's hot on the plane, again, I just remove my cardigan.

Whatever you decide to wear, I hope you have a great cruise!:D

Edited by mousey

For Spring Break, we left cooler temperatures for warmer temperatures.

I wear knee high compression socks when I travel. They are wool and very warm. I also prefer to wear sneakers (cute sneakers, but still sneakers) for all the walking around an airport. So I begin there.

And then I wore a knit maxi-skirt that had a wide band waist similar to typical yoga pants. I also wear one or two tank tops (I like to layer) and a full zip hoodie.

I have easy access to a pair of sandals in my carry on bag to change when I hit the warmer weather and it's easy to lose the hoodie.

If I were to layer this up for more cold at departure...I would wear leggings under the maxi skirt...tight capri length leggings that I could easily remove in the bathroom at my destination. And perhaps I would wear a heavier weight hoodie or other layer (and maybe I would add a scarf).

• 1 month later...