Port location in Basel

Happy Traveler

In 2 weeks, we're taking the Viking Sun from Antwerp to Basel. We are meeting our niece in Basel for breakfast after we disembark, and she's then taking us to the train station. Does anyone know the address or a detailed location for where Viking docks in Basel, so I can tell her where to meet us? The booklet we just received, has details for the dock at Antwerp, where we board, but nothing similar about Basel. Any information will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Susan

Can't remember the exact name of the dock. It was out in the industrial area, a short walk to monument at the point where the 3 countries meet. We were between the monument and a yacht club. The monument is beautiful--be sure to see. it.

Thank you very much, jackson. It's wonderful, helpful folks like you that make this such a terrific site. I'll send a copy of the link to my niece, which which should be very useful to her. I'll also call Viking ... and who knows? ... I might even get a verified address.

Susan

Susan,

This was our 2nd Viking trip. It was on the Sun. We picked the lowest level and regretted it greatly. The plumbing noises were horrific. We could hear every toilet, sink and shower around and above us. In the hallway, the noise of water going thru the pipes was really bad. In fact, one morning the water system went out just as our deck was getting ready for breakfast. The engineering crew took care of the problem in record time. Its events like this that make me glad that the line has a suggested daily tip to be shared by all. The boat is the second longest on the rivers. It makes for too many out of the way docks--like the one on Basel, antwerp, Rotterdam and Rudesheim. I felt that 200 people were about 50-60- too many for areally comfortable river cruise. The food was not as good as on our first Viking cruise on the Elbe. The CD was not particularly inspiring and didn't seem to react to individual questions or requests very well. This was our nineth river cruise, so we are seasoned river travellers. Happy to answer any other questions. Pat

Susan,

We just got back from a cruise leaving from Basel, and there are 2 different docks in Basel. Our ship docked in one that was farther from town before moving to a closer dock. They may not know the exact location of the dock until the morning that they dock due to ship traffic. Once you are docked, you could call your niece.

Thank you both for the added information, I think. I didn't realize the Sun is extra-long, and it's too bad that it can't dock really close-in for all the ports. Being able to just walk off the boat and be in a town is one of our main reasons for river cruising, but I'm sure we'll adjust.

Thankfully, we're not on the lowest deck, so maybe the pipes won't gurgle too loudly. ;-)

I hope the food is as good as we're used to, but if not, it will help me keep from putting on pounds that I've just worked so hard to lose. At any rate, since I don't have to cook it, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever they serve.

Susan

Susan,

Most of the time you will be able to walk right into town. Even when you are a little farther, there is usually some sort of easy transportation into town.

Although we took Avalon, we almost always saw the viking docks.

We did your cruise in reverse and easily got from the train station to the dock by tram.

I know that you will have a wonderful time and I envy you.

We took your cruise in reverse in June. We took the tram and then walked to the dock at Drielandereck, and it looks like the map you have been sent should do the trick. I wouldn't think it should be a problem this late in the summer, but just a word of caution--if the water is too high, the Sun will not be able to make it to this dock. That was the case for us. The ship actually docked in Breisach since it could not get under the bridge on the way to Basel. Since our trip originated in Basel, they picked up independent travelers from the dock and bused them to Breisach. Absolutely not a problem, and Viking handled it well. At the end of your trip, you will have a full day in Basel before you disembark, right? You can let your ride know then exactly where the ship is docked. Hope this helps a bit. Have fun--I'd love to be making that trip again!

Beth

We just disembarked from the Helvetia in Basel.

It was in industrial area by "west quay" - not close to anything.

The Captain was said to be very upset by the position - caused by a container vessel in our reserved spot.

This resulted in the Helvetia triple-docked with the Sun and another vessel dockside that didn't match-up well. We walked through the Sun and then up over the sun deck of the dockside vessel to reach the pier, where we walked up more stairs to the street!

No big deal for us, but those lads onboard really worked their tails off with the luggage.

Archived