MasterChief

omakim

Tie and cumberbands are the only ways the gentlemen can show a little flaire. Yes I have seen them worn, also plaid,the red, white and blue. It is your trip so have some fun. At least you are willing to wear ties. Have a great trip.PS there is also a QM2 tie on sale in the shops that makes a great statement.

Tie and cumberbands are the only ways the gentlemen can show a little flaire. Yes I have seen them worn, also plaid,the red, white and blue. It is your trip so have some fun. At least you are willing to wear ties. Have a great trip.PS there is also a QM2 tie on sale in the shops that makes a great statement.

I'm sorry, but a Gentleman leaves colour to his wife. A black silk self tie bow tie is appropriate. Anything else would not be the preserve of a Gentleman.

As the guys are so limited on a tux night I think it's a nice tough to mix and match the tie and cumberband. The girls can wear a different outfit each night - why not give the guys an opportunity to mix it up a bit.

Who cares what's right or wrong a nice tux with a snazzy tie always looks smart and presentable.

Who cares what's right or wrong

Sadly a sentiment shared by so many in every walk of life today.

a nice tux with a snazzy tie always looks smart and presentable.

In your opinion! The word snazzy says it all does it not? It is not the business of gentlemen to parade about like a penguin/peacock hybrid or a low rent children's entertainer. Not only is it vulgar it detracts from the elegance of ladies.

Gari

In your opinion! The word snazzy says it all does it not? It is not the business of gentlemen to parade about like a penguin/peacock hybrid or a low rent children's entertainer. Not only is it vulgar it detracts from the elegance of ladies.

Ah, truly a classic piece of Gounist philosophical discourse there. Bring it on Big G - we want more :D

J

PS - is it just me, or does MasterChief look a little non-sequiturish?

For black tie events, Are gray or burgandy ties and cummerbunds also allowed?

Exactly how many shades of black is there?

Black tie = black tie.

However, Cunard do not insist upon "Black Tie", but their version of "Formal" (not White Tie) so you must adhere to their code.

Most do, some don't.

There is nothing to be gained from being the "odd man out", apart from tuts and harumphs. Best to stay traditional, unless you really don't care, or wish to make a "statement", but if that's the case, then you've picked the wrong travel company, the traditionalists on Cunard will always win.

Just do the right thing and thoroughly enjoy yourselves! believe me, you will.

Good luck.

Stewart

this site is very useful in determining black-tie etiquette. http://www.blacktieguide.com/

Just keep in mind that the difference between skillfully bending the rules and oafishly breaking them lies in a man’s knowledge of the fundamental principles behind those rules. For those men willing to experiment with untried black-tie variations, these fundamentals can be discerned in the introduction to the Contemporary section. For others who prefer to take advantage of tried-and-true options in their quest for tasteful personalization, they may choose from the following sartorial precedents favored by some of the most stylish dressers of the twentieth century.

Discretion is an important factor in assembling an evening kit that is distinctive without being distasteful; the adage “less is more” couldn’t be better suited to customizing a wardrobe that derives its primary appeal from its understated simplicity. Therefore, when choosing among the following classic alternatives is best to limit oneself to a single item at a time.

Also be aware that a man’s age and an event’s formality will impact the appropriateness of these alternatives. The guidelines for contemporary variations apply just as much to classic ones.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Alternatives.htm

they suggest selecting a single element (cummerbund, pocket square, vest, cufflinks) to add color. they specifically prohibit any color variation of the bow tie, but do allow for patterns where the predominant color is still black.

to be frank i've seen many men wearing ill-fiting formal attire, but adhering strictly to the rules. this in my opinion indicates a gentlemen who doesn't know the etiquette and is in adherence by default. i have also seen men wearing exquisitely tailored dinner jackets that break the strict rules of formal attire and looked stunning. given the choice between ignorant adherence (e.g. a pre-tied black bow tie) and intentional break from tradition (a colorful self-tied bow tie), i'd choose the latter every time.

Gari

Well put!!!

Gari

Here we go again! :o) I love the look of black bow ties on all the gentlemen on the Cuanrd ships. They look so dignified and refined and handsome and identical--but this sense of male etiquette seems to end on the Cunard cruise line. Most males of any other species, parade quite grandly and proudly around in their brightly, well pruned, colored feathers and lovely outstanding, well groomed coats to attract their females. Might it be the arrogance of the cruise ship male, who believes he is far too important to waltz around in an attempt to attract the lowly female? Could it be that arrogance that brings about the belief that anything but black is vulgar? Just a thought!:)

Miss Manners describes it best:

MissManners_edited-1.jpg

I would love to know who "Miss Manners" is and who put her in charge. I wonder if she is a stylist for Vogue? Vogue USA judging by her spelling.

Fashion is constantly changing and as long as people stick to the spirit of the dress code rather than the letter of it I cannot understand why people give a jot.

If nothing ever changed we would still be wearing uncomfortable extravagant clothing that the Elizabethans insisted was correct with huge white ruffles around our necks.

Until the 1880s only white tie and tailcoat was correct. It was not until someone dared to be different that the current dinner jacket and black tie was adopted.

In the 70's men often had huge lapels and frills everywhere.

Young men these days often opt for a long black tie with their DJ.

And so what?

I do wonder if the followers of "correct" dress have their men wearing full morning dress to the Ascot Ball?

Thank heavens the likes of Marlene Dietrich and Katharine Hepburn started wearing trousers when it was thought of as "not correct" for women.

Might it be the arrogance of the cruise ship male, who believes he is far too important to waltz around in an attempt to attract the lowly female? Could it be that arrogance that brings about the belief that anything but black is vulgar?

Ummm... I think it's more likely that they feel that if they all dress identically and huddle together for protection their wives won't be able to spot them and drag them on to the dance floor!

:D

J

Ummm... I think it's more likely that they feel that if they all dress identically and huddle together for protection their wives won't be able to spot them and drag them on to the dance floor!

J

Speak for yourself, Mr Cruachan!

She might, but it is academic when your image is too small to read.
Miss Manners describes it best:

MissManners_edited-1.jpg

What she said was: Black Tie

This traditionally meant dinner dresses with sleeves and narrow long skirts, but ladies can go all out for grand black-tie occasions. Gentlemen exhibit their taste by the exquisiteness of their tailoring, rather than by wearing ruffles or funny colors.

J

My IT department needs your address to send the bill for the monitor you just destroyed! Rofl.

Great stuff Jimmy!

Archived