TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

lol Then I don't believe you met the definition of chair hog. I would say we would have to know the saving to sitting time ratio to be sure though. :rolleyes:

Up early about 5am to place towel sneakily on said chairs, then off to shower and breakfast, then claim the chairs. So is that half a hog?

Am I the only one who brings their old nightclothes and underwear and old towels and toothbrush and then just bin them? I said old not minging. I find it leaves room for goodies to bring back :D

No one is going to see your old towels and old toothbrush, I understand the excitement of buying all new and I still do that, but I leave them at home.

I heard about bringing old, almost ready for the trash, items on vacation and tossing them after they are used, from a friend who taught "Home Ec". Yes, I admit it - I have brought undies to wear and toss.

I've even brought well worn sandals, tee shirts I used only for snorkeling, and stretched out socks I used inside my flippers, and tossed them out after use also.

I heard about bringing old, almost ready for the trash, items on vacation and tossing them after they are used, from a friend who taught "Home Ec". Yes, I admit it - I have brought undies to wear and toss.

I've even brought well worn sandals, tee shirts I used only for snorkeling, and stretched out socks I used inside my flippers, and tossed them out after use also.

I've never heard of doing that...Thanks for the idea!:) I'm one of those who buy alot of new things and my bags are stuffed to the brink with souveniers when returning home. :(

I also bring OLD THINGS when I cruise (or when I travel in general).. old socks, sandals, nighties, etc. that I can toss at the end.

I go somewhat further.. I actually look for things at yard sales and thrift stores like cheap towels, beach bags, purses, straw hats, etc. that I can take and then toss at the end of the trip.

As to the undies though: Did anyone realize that on a cruise ship-- they go through ALL OF YOUR TRASH, and sort it out into various bins (paper, food waste, cans, etc.). So I always take the old undies off the ship with me and dispose of them in a port.

It definitely leaves more room for souvenirs and lightens the load for the trip home.

Pack a 12 pack of your favorite soft drink in your checked luggage, then ask your steward to empty out the fridge and put yours there. This way, you have about an extra cubic foot of space in the suitcase going home for things you pick up on vacation. Also keeps you from overpacking clothing...or...

A package of iced tea or soft drink mix tubes go for about two dollars and with an aluminum water bottle makes a great way to beat the soft drink fees they charge. Cut out the unlimited soda at $6 per day per person and you can buy a couple of nice bottles of wine at dinnertime instead.

Space bags are great, but be sure to get the roll up kind rather than the vacuum cleaner hose kind.

If you print calling cards to give to people you meet, bring some blank ones as well to give to people whose contact information you want. Print something like "Welcome to my Database" at the top.

A Leatherman multi-tool in your checked luggage can be more useful than a swiss army knife. The little keychain versions are amazingly useful.

A holdover from camping days, having a 20' length of parachute cord in your luggage can become anything from a clothesline to a way to tie several bags to your rolling bag from the seaport to the airport.

And if you have a black nylon rolling suitcase, find some way to make it easy to spot at the debarkation cattle pen. A red strap around it is also useful if you have overstuffed it.

bengfer:

I like the idea of the Leatherman. I actually have 2 of them, but never use them. I carry a little swiss army knife daily, and it never occured to me to bring anything else.

The parachute cord is also a good idea. I've had one in the bottom of my suitecase for years...never used it, but it's light and takes up little room.

I also have a tiny LED flashlight that I constantly carry, would never be without it. Handy at night to find the bathroom (it's dark in those cabins!)

As for the string on the suitcase...I don't worry too much about finding our luggage at disembarktation, but I once lost my luggage in Las Vegas because some moron simply grabbed the wrong bag (they all too often look alike....the suitcases, not the morons!) Five hours later the airline called our hotel and delivered it!

We have since purchased bright (and gawdy) colored suitcases and we even tie bright tassles to them. They're ugly, but unique!

Up early about 5am to place towel sneakily on said chairs, then off to shower and breakfast, then claim the chairs. So is that half a hog?

I don't think we can be friends anymore. *sniffle* lolol

We just purchased new luggage and i was sooo tempted to get ones that were purple and had a pattern almost like dinosaur skin. (of course, they would have been called Barney & Grimace)

Instead, we opted for black ones but our ID tags are bright yellow with a Canadian Beaver on them. Hard not to spot :)

If you are packing for a week, how much clothing do you pack?

Do you "recycle" pants or skirts for dinners?

Even on our 4 & 5 day, it seems like I over pack clothing?

I definitely recycle. After changing from the clothes I was sightseeing in all day, the slacks and blouse I wear to dinner might only be worn for a few hours so I'll wear them again later in the week, possibly in a different combination. Or, I will wear something the first time for an evening and then have that be my day time outfit later in the week. It mostly depends on whether I am flying to our port. If we are cruising out of NYC, I bring all the clothes I could possibly want in my largest suitcase. But if I have to fly, I cut it way down to a smaller, more manageable suitcase.

I always bring one of those cheap disposable booklights, that way I can read if everyone is asleep. In addition it can double as a flashlight if I have to get up in the middle of the night.

Speaking of clothes, does anyone bring something to launder clothes with? I was at the store and saw a box of laundry "sheets" for like $8 for 24 (obviously too many) or a small bottle of purex for $1.99 on sale. The problem with the purex was that it was much heavier. (I am concerned about suitcase weight) Has anyone seen other products?

Speaking of clothes, does anyone bring something to launder clothes with? I was at the store and saw a box of laundry "sheets" for like $8 for 24 (obviously too many) or a small bottle of purex for $1.99 on sale. The problem with the purex was that it was much heavier. (I am concerned about suitcase weight) Has anyone seen other products?

I found Tide foil packets for one load in the travel section of Target recently. Light and small.

Either no one is going to own up to doing the same or I have completely horrified you all.:eek:

I wouldn't have room in the suitcase to bring old towels. I barely have room to bring what we need. Besides, what's the purpose? I can throw away old towels at home or use them for rags.

And bringing an old nightgown and then throwing it away wouldn't give much room for souvenirs so I bring one of my nicer gowns and feel pampered.

Oh my lord, shoot me now. I pack towels to chair hog. But in my defense I DO use the chairs.

Why pack a towel to do that? Just use one from the pool area. Most cruise ships provide pool towels. You're either given one in your cabin or given one at the pool, to return and get another one another day. No reason to take up suitcase room with a towel.

If you are packing for a week, how much clothing do you pack?

Do you "recycle" pants or skirts for dinners?

Even on our 4 & 5 day, it seems like I over pack clothing?

Most of our cruises are 10 days or longer. Our cruise(s) in Sept/Oct will be 33 days, the longest yet and a real challenge for packing since we'll go from the cold of Iceland and Norway, across the Atlantic to the heat of the Caribbean.

Yes, I always 'recycle' pants -- and tops -- wearing them more than once, washing them out if needed. I bring tops and bottoms that can be mixed and matched, making a variety of outfits. So 3 pair of slacks and 3 tops is more than enough for a week for me since it can make 9 different outfits. In fact it's enough for almost 2 weeks by using the ship's laundry or washing them by hand in the cabin's bathroom sink. Shampoo is a good laundry detergent if you use just a very little and rinse thoroughly. There's a clothesline in every shower on every cruise ship of every cruise line.

My challenge is shoes and I've gotten heartless about that, bringing just 3 pair: I wear my walking shoes and pack just dress shoes and sandals or flip-flops.

Edited by NMLady

I use the shampoo in the cabin's bathroom. Just a couple drops is plenty for a sinkful of water and is great at removing any greasy stains if used a a pre-treatment. Just rinse the clothing a bit more thoroughly than usual.

Why pack a towel to do that? Just use one from the pool area. Most cruise ships provide pool towels. You're either given one in your cabin or given one at the pool, to return and get another one another day. No reason to take up suitcase room with a towel.

I believe the reasoning is that you won't care if the old towel gets removed while you are away from the chair. The pool towel must be returned or you will be charged for it. I've never done this, but I see the point.

I use those sheets at home for the laundry all of the time, that way I don't have to keep the big bulky liquid thing. Target is now selling a value pack of them too. You could easily slide a couple of them in a ziploc bag. I LOVE using those! I will take them on the next Carnival trip, but I thought NCL did away with the laundry rooms.

I use those sheets at home for the laundry all of the time, that way I don't have to keep the big bulky liquid thing. Target is now selling a value pack of them too. You could easily slide a couple of them in a ziploc bag. I LOVE using those! I will take them on the next Carnival trip, but I thought NCL did away with the laundry rooms.

There are soap 'sheets' that are for washing by hand in a sink. They are very small. Maybe that is the kind of sheet referred to? Some of the travel sites sell them, so maybe some stores also sell them?

You are correct that there are no longer any laundry rooms on NCL ships.

Either wash by hand in cabin's bathroom sink or send to ship's laundry.

Oh yes, I was referring to washing by hand in the bathroom sink. I'll keep looking...;).

There are a LOT of good travel items at www.minimus.biz and shipping is free if you buy $20 worth of items. Here is some Tide liquid that is only for washing items in a sink, not for machines, 3 packets for 96¢:

http://www.minimus.biz/Tide-Liquid-Detergent-Travel-Sink-Packets-D01-0112103-1100.aspx

Here are the soap sheets for washing clothes by hand: 50 sheets for $2.78 in a very small case: 1 3/4W x2 3/4H x 3/4 D.

http://www.minimus.biz/Travelon-Travel-Fresh-Laundry-Soap-Sheets-D01-0186201-9100.aspx

Edited by NMLady

I did the door hanger last time but had nowhere to hang it. What do you use for hangers..mine had metal grommets at the top two corners.

Some of them also come with little over the door hooks to put in the grommets or you can buy suction cups for them.

We like to take our reuseable water bottles for day trips. Remember when you go to the ice and water dispensers to use a clean glass for filling, don't put your bottle up to the dispenser....the staff will be quick to notice!

We travel with a backpack so it's used for shore excursion days too. I don't carry a purse this way.

Thanks for noting that. I was wondering how people were filling their bottles up in the buffet area!