Tux or suit for formal evenings?

ship2ship

With most of my friends the women decide if they want their guy in a tux. If the woman is wearing a full length formal they usually want their guy in a tux. If the lady is in a cocktail dress the guy is fine in a suit. Usually the lady will let the guy know what they want them to wear.

On most times we have cruised you will see enough of both to be comfortable in whatever you decide. If you have a tux or want to rent one onboard go for it men all look handsome in a tux. If you have the dark suit & don't want the expense of the tux you'll be ok too.

relax & enjoy the cruise!

Debbie

Although a dark suit is great too. I agree--you'll see enough of both that you're comfortable either way. In any event, the formal night is a nod to the grand tradition of cruising. We enjoy dressing up and having an extra nice-looking crowd in the dining room. Hope others will stop seeing it as a hassle and enjoy it for what it is.

On Royal Caribbean do men still wear tuxes for formal nights or is it now mostly all suits? Thanks in advance for the info-

It's a combination of both. If men wear suits, they will 9/10 be dark suits however (black/brown) rather than light (grey).

Just wear whatever you feel comfy in/what you feel like packing.

Happy cruising!

Most men just don't realize how HANDSOME they look in a Tux!! My DH knows that I think he looks great when he dresses up......so he wears a tux whenever he gets the chance. He also collects antique pocket watches and buys vests (with watch pockets) to match my dresses.

Damn, I love that man!!;)

On the last few cruises we've been on it seems as if suits are the thing to wear. Not so many tuxes in the group anymore. I believe for the last four cruises I've been the only one at our table that's been in a tux.

Even on our most recentl Alaskan cruise there were not so many tuxes. Our first two Alaskan cruises seemed more formal.

It doesn't matter to me. The wife prefers I wear a tux, I don't have a lot of opportunities to wear a tux, so I'll wear a tux on formal night just because.

On Royal Caribbean do men still wear tuxes for formal nights or is it now mostly all suits? Thanks in advance for the info-

Majority of the men wear suits instead of tuxes, some wear only dress shirts, tie and slacks, and well........ some wear just about anythng else! Have fun and enjoy your cruise!:)

Hubby wears a tux on one formal evening , and a dark suit on the other. I usually wear a long gown one night, and a cocktail dress on the other.
I usually do that too, but on our last cruise I just took my black suit and the first formal night wore my tux shirt, bow tie, vest with it. The second formal night I wore it with a regular shirt/tie. Worked pretty well and saved some packing space.

On the last few cruises we've been on it seems as if suits are the thing to wear. Not so many tuxes in the group anymore.

Yes, and it is a growing trend that is irreversible. Remember when men actually wore jackets and ties when on an airplane?

Another factor is new cruisers. Younger men tend not to have tuxedos. We began cruising four years ago. I never owned a tuxedo and have no desire to own one. I also consider renting one an extravagence. I always wear my black suit and tend to question those who come in only with a dress shirt and slacks.

So, if you own a tuxedo and want to wear it, more power to you. I'm afraid, however, that tuxes are quickly becoming an endangered species

Most men just don't realize how HANDSOME they look in a Tux!! My DH knows that I think he looks great when he dresses up......so he wears a tux whenever he gets the chance. He also collects antique pocket watches and buys vests (with watch pockets) to match my dresses.

Damn, I love that man!!;)

While this may be very true for most people, I have to wear a tuxedo WAAAAY too often as I'm a college music student. We have to wear tuxedo's for almost every performance we give, which is often about 10 times a year. I don't even get to wear my suit that often!

So for me personally, I feel MUCH more dressed up when I wear a suit.. because it's more special to me. I even wanted to wear a suit for my wedding coming up, but I'd want all the groomsmen to have matching suits..can you rent suits?

Yes, and it is a growing trend that is irreversible. Remember when men actually wore jackets and ties when on an airplane?

Another factor is new cruisers. Younger men tend not to have tuxedos. We began cruising four years ago. I never owned a tuxedo and have no desire to own one. I also consider renting one an extravagence. I always wear my black suit and tend to question those who come in only with a dress shirt and slacks.

So, if you own a tuxedo and want to wear it, more power to you. I'm afraid, however, that tuxes are quickly becoming an endangered species

Where I live (Atlantic City) when you see a man dressed in a tux, you don't think of him as a guest at a high class affair, you see him as a waiter or wedding band musician.

They are considered work clothes here rather than dress clothes.

Faishon changes with the times. I have a closet full of tuxes & dinner jackets, but I'm not bringing them on my cruise.

Well since we are leaving for the hotel tonight and have now misplaced my suit I think dress pants and a shirt and tie are perfect. Thought I knew right where they were too. One more place to look and it will be tux rental for me (if they have any left on board).

On our honeymoon cruise (Monarch), it was a Tux...cost me less to keep it for a week than the other groomsmen paid for the weekend!

The other cruises were all 4 days or shorter...black suit worked just fine.

Thinking about renting a tux onboard the JOS in Feb...anybody have any feedback?

Thanks...

Archived