Flesh Eating Bacteria in Spa

Hot tub folliculitis is a completely different thing from MRSA. MRSA is everywhere, and yes, it's a scary infection. It can picked up in locker rooms, hospitals, schools - it's actually on most people's skin already. It's a matter of it invading an open wound and the body not being able to fend it off.

Hot tub folliculitis is an itchy rash- kind of like little pimples - often found around the hair follicles where swimsuit would rub. I picked it up in a hot tub a friend's house one time. She was HORRIFIED as she's meticulously clean and checks the chemical levels daily. It's very easy for a hot tub to grow stuff if the chemicals aren't perfect. The folliculitis was annoying but no big deal. It was mildly itchy, caused some red bumps, and went away in a couple days. It's mostly harmless.

Hot tub folliculitis is a completely different thing from MRSA. MRSA is everywhere, and yes, it's a scary infection. It can picked up in locker rooms, hospitals, schools - it's actually on most people's skin already. It's a matter of it invading an open wound and the body not being able to fend it off.

Hot tub folliculitis is an itchy rash- kind of like little pimples - often found around the hair follicles where swimsuit would rub. I picked it up in a hot tub a friend's house one time. She was HORRIFIED as she's meticulously clean and checks the chemical levels daily. It's very easy for a hot tub to grow stuff if the chemicals aren't perfect. The folliculitis was annoying but no big deal. It was mildly itchy, caused some red bumps, and went away in a couple days. It's mostly harmless.

Allegedly it was a bit more serious than just red bumps (usually infected hair follicles from shaving).

"The passenger's leg sustained a severe infection which nearly cost him his leg, the PR statement reads. "The entire leg turned black and they wanted to amputate." After a week in the hospital and $70,000 in medical bills later, the leg was saved, but remains scarred from the flesh-eating infection according to the lawyers."

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/07/articles/weird-cruise-news/and-just-when-it-couldnt-get-any-worse-for-carnival-flesh-eating-bacteria-hot-tubs-on-carnivals-fun-ships/

Allegedly it was a bit more serious than just red bumps (usually infected hair follicles from shaving).

"The passenger's leg sustained a severe infection which nearly cost him his leg, the PR statement reads. "The entire leg turned black and they wanted to amputate." After a week in the hospital and $70,000 in medical bills later, the leg was saved, but remains scarred from the flesh-eating infection according to the lawyers."

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/07/articles/weird-cruise-news/and-just-when-it-couldnt-get-any-worse-for-carnival-flesh-eating-bacteria-hot-tubs-on-carnivals-fun-ships/

Read the other thread re this article. The lawyer is describing one disease and calling it another entirely. The two have no connection.

But it does make for sensatoinal headlines :rolleyes:

Calling it the flesh eating disease rather than a rash sounds better when drumming up claimants for their class action lawsuit.

How many threads do we need on this topic?

"according to the lawyers."

Famous last words. Just once I wish I could see the phrase "according to their doctors." But seriously I hope this person has a quick recovery.

It was Dec. 2011.

First off, what happened to the other 50 who were supposedly infected? Must have been a lot of wounded people that got into the hot tubs. Even if it turned out to be this bacteria, which I doubt, that bacteria only enters the body through a wound already present.

That is the reason I did not go in the hot tubs, but isn't the chlorination process suppose stop the growth of bacteria in the water ?

If the temperature isn't held right, I don't think it matters. Someone pointed out in the other thread how long people will stay in the hot tub for... which would lead you to believe the temperature isn't being held right.

I avoid those things like the plague

If the temperature isn't held right, I don't think it matters. Someone pointed out in the other thread how long people will stay in the hot tub for... which would lead you to believe the temperature isn't being held right.

I avoid those things like the plague

Hot tubs are maintained at 104*F, by USPH regulation, which even they will admit is the optimum breeding temperature for legionaire's disease. The chlorine level is maintained at 8-10ppm, which is significantly higher than home hot tubs to control the various bacteria. The amount of time people sit in them is the reason that swimwear fades and the threads rot out, due to the high chlorine level. The tubs are emptied, cleaned, and super-chlorinated daily.

Wow, insert eye roll here. There is NO WAY!! To prove those 2 people had gotten MRSA from the hot tub considering how prevalent it is everywhere! Kids get it from Gym mats, it's also very prevalent at gyms. Always a reason to clean your equipment before you use it. Disgusts me, all these people are out for a quick buck!

This article is not written by a reporter. It is an advertisement by the attorney to solicit clients disguised as a travel article. I will not put too much faith in the accuracy of its content.

I know for a fact the temps were not even close to 104 in some of the hot tubs both on the Sensation (Serenity) and the Freedom (the one near the slide). We swim at our gym at home which has a normal pool, a warmer pool for warming up when you get out of the ice pool and a hot tub.

The warm pool temps are 90-97 degrees, like bath water. Both these hot tubs on board were exactly like the warm pool, we could have stayed in them forever till we looked like a California raisin.

Hot tubs are maintained at 104*F, by USPH regulation, which even they will admit is the optimum breeding temperature for legionaire's disease. The chlorine level is maintained at 8-10ppm, which is significantly higher than home hot tubs to control the various bacteria. The amount of time people sit in them is the reason that swimwear fades and the threads rot out, due to the high chlorine level. The tubs are emptied, cleaned, and super-chlorinated daily.

I doubt they are maintained much during the course of the day, while they're crammed full of people.

I know for a fact the temps were not even close to 104 in some of the hot tubs both on the Sensation (Serenity) and the Freedom (the one near the slide). We swim at our gym at home which has a normal pool, a warmer pool for warming up when you get out of the ice pool and a hot tub.

The warm pool temps are 90-97 degrees, like bath water. Both these hot tubs on board were exactly like the warm pool, we could have stayed in them forever till we looked like a California raisin.

Agree - we keep our hot tub at 104 and it's really HOT unlike the lukewarm water on ships. The hot tubs on ships are just plain nasty, IMHO.

How can you even call them a hot tub. I do not think Carnival calls them hit tubs. My PVP said they call them whirlpools. The ones on the Liberty are not even warm especially on the Serenity Deck. I keep mine at the house at 104 and the chlorine at 7.6 and it is good year round. The purpose of these hot tubs, whirlpools, spas etc. is to relax a person. For some reason Carnival has decided to keep them in the mid to high 90's range. They are not enjoyable to me but I am not the only person on the boat. I have one for arthritic reasons so the warmth really helps me. I tried to get a response from Carnival but I just got the answer they are whirlpools.

I do not know why people bash Carnival on this sight. I have been on Norwegian and saw problems, I have been on the expensive RCCL and on my 3 cruises they were the rudest people I have ever seen. (Will never go again), I would have to win the lottery to go on Disney, so I think I will stay with Carnival, understand they are not perfect, and neither am I and put up with their small problems and be happy. If you want the perfect boat, buy your own and cruise wherever you want.

Wow, insert eye roll here. There is NO WAY!! To prove those 2 people had gotten MRSA from the hot tub considering how prevalent it is everywhere! Kids get it from Gym mats, it's also very prevalent at gyms. Always a reason to clean your equipment before you use it. Disgusts me, all these people are out for a quick buck!

Did I miss something? I thought it was a flesh eating bacteria. Mrsa isn't the same. I thought the article said 50 people.

Archived