How to go to the baths on your own?

gl339

I want to go to the Baths but do not want to pay the cost through NCL. Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to do this? I will be in port at 7am, leaving at 3pm on NCL Escape. Thank you in advance for your information!

There are 2 ferry companies that go to Virgin Gorda, Speedys and Smiths... Their rates are better than the NCL excursion, but with your limited time in port you may want to just go with them. You can use one ferry company to go and another to return as they have different schedules. Rates and schedules are available online.

Edited by sid_9169

Is Speedy's walking distance from the port where the Escape docks?

Also, Once you are at Valley Virgin Gorda, are the Baths right there or do you have to walk a ways?

I just don't want to be wandering around not knowing where I am going.

Thanks!

Is Speedy's walking distance from the port where the Escape docks?

Also, Once you are at Valley Virgin Gorda, are the Baths right there or do you have to walk a ways?

I just don't want to be wandering around not knowing where I am going.

Thanks!

When you get off the ship, u walk through the port to the Main Street, turn left, then walk another 1/4-1/2 mile or so. You'll see the ferries from the road. It's about a 10 min walk all together.

Once you arrive at virgin gorda you will be offered a taxi, all set prices, for 3 it was $4 pp each way. Taxi driver will take u to the baths and agree on a time to pick you up to take you back to the ferry (10 min ride each way).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Speedy's ferry is the only ferry that will work for your time in port. If you take just a moment to read a few of the other threads just below yours you'll find tons of details on this. Just walk 15 min to the ferry terminal in time for the 7:45 ferry. 30 minute ferry to Virgin Gorda marina near Spanishtown, taxis are lined up for the 5 - 10 minute ride to the Top of the Baths, $4pp each way with a group. You pay a fee and walk down the natural path to the beach and then through the boulders to Devils bay and back up a path from there. There is a restaurant and small pool at the Top, and Poorman's sells drinks on the beach. Ferry is $30pp round trip, you'll want the 12:40 return ferry that gets you back at 1:10. Speedy's also offers packages that include the taxi (same price) and a lunch at the Baths and Turtle in Spanishtown.

Take the time to stop by Sunny Caribbee on the walk back, that's a great little spice shop. And hit Pusser's Pub for an English ale and check out their unique clothing line

If you have any difficulty at the port the gals at the visitor center are very nice. But do take some time to research this in other recent threads here. :)

Thank you everyone. I was trying to research but unfortunately most threads are about if you can take your elderly mother or infant to the baths or reviews of the actual excursion. I just wanted some specifics like if you could walk, how long vs. taxi. Thanks for the info!

Super easy to do on your own.

Get off the ship, walk down the pier, turn left on the street and keep walking until you get to the ferry area.

When walking down the street, you'll start to see the red roof down the road. When you see that, you'll know about where the ferry dock is.

PB140729%20copy-M.jpg

It's across the street from there. Buy the tickets and wait on the said by the ferry.

This is standing at the ferry terminal waiting...you can see how close the ship is.

PB140730%20copy-M.jpg

Here's your ride

PB140731%20copy-M.jpg

Once you get off, you'll walk down this dock

PB140745%20copy-M.jpg

Then you'll catch the bus to the baths. They could be inside the gate or outside. We caught one inside.

PB140747%20copy-M.jpg

PB140751%20copy-M.jpg

• Like 1

Mitsugirly--- that is great information. Pictures are worth a thousand...well you know. So the shuttle buses are waiting at the dock at Virgin Gorda and they wait at the Baths? or do you have to make arrangements for a pick up at the Baths. What is a safe time to leave the Baths to catch the 12:40 ferry? Can you bring snorkeling gear to use at the beach? Thanks for this very helpful information. I had almost decided to use the cruise excursion, but this seems easy enough and allows for flexibility while at the Baths...

Yes taxis are lined up at the ferry dock at Virgin Gorda and will return to meet you at the Top of the Baths. You can bring snorkel gear but you will not use it while walking through the boulders, and you want to pack light. you'll have 3 - 3.5 hrs to see the Baths and Devils Bay and get a little snorkeling in. For someone looking to avoid the crowds, nearby Spring Bay has a somewhat similar topography and snorkeling and will be much less crowded, but there are no amenities there for day visitors.

The ferries are very reliable, but would recommend getting back to the ferry a little early since everyone else will be doing the same thing. The driver will advise you when to meet them at the Top.

Mitsugirly--- that is great information. Pictures are worth a thousand...well you know. So the shuttle buses are waiting at the dock at Virgin Gorda and they wait at the Baths? or do you have to make arrangements for a pick up at the Baths. What is a safe time to leave the Baths to catch the 12:40 ferry? Can you bring snorkeling gear to use at the beach? Thanks for this very helpful information. I had almost decided to use the cruise excursion, but this seems easy enough and allows for flexibility while at the Baths...

Blue already answered about the ferry/buses, but yes, take your snorkeling stuff if you plan on snorkeling at all before (or after) going in the baths. You'll need fins too if you want to play it safe. The water is a little less than "calm" around there and it's just easier if you have them. They do have lockers if you want to leave your things behind (if you are doing a quick trip in the baths to devils and then back). Otherwise, pack light if you plan on taking it with you and staying on the other side. :)

Yes good point - the water can be dangerous offshore with high surf and rip currents. There was flooding and high surf for a couple weeks straight with many beaches closed for days throughout the USVI and BVI. That has since passed but be aware of the sea conditions that day to be safe if you are venturing out away from the Baths and the shore.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes taxis are lined up at the ferry dock at Virgin Gorda and will return to meet you at the Top of the Baths. You can bring snorkel gear but you will not use it while walking through the boulders, and you want to pack light. you'll have 3 - 3.5 hrs to see the Baths and Devils Bay and get a little snorkeling in. For someone looking to avoid the crowds, nearby Spring Bay has a somewhat similar topography and snorkeling and will be much less crowded, but there are no amenities there for day visitors.

The ferries are very reliable, but would recommend getting back to the ferry a little early since everyone else will be doing the same thing. The driver will advise you when to meet them at the Top.

Does Spring Bay have bathrooms?

• 3 weeks later...

another question. We originally were thinking of doing the baths when our ship landed in St. Thomas, but the private boat owner we were considering hiring said we would have to go through customs and pay $50. We have since figured out that Tortola is much closer, why not wait till this day to see the baths....So i am just curious, because we are already docked in Tortola, getting off the ship isn't an issue? I can't imagine they want $50, what about going through customs, what about a passport? We have a member in our group that doesn't have a passport. Is this a problem in Tortola at all?

another question. We originally were thinking of doing the baths when our ship landed in St. Thomas, but the private boat owner we were considering hiring said we would have to go through customs and pay $50. We have since figured out that Tortola is much closer, why not wait till this day to see the baths....So i am just curious, because we are already docked in Tortola, getting off the ship isn't an issue? I can't imagine they want $50, what about going through customs, what about a passport? We have a member in our group that doesn't have a passport. Is this a problem in Tortola at all?

No problems at all. It's just like visiting any other port. They tell you to take your ID and ship card just like the other ports.