Coastal roundtrip Norway cruise

captain36

we are looking to travel with Hurtigruten on their round trip expedition from Bergen to Kirkenes next summer. My husband can get seasick on open water though the dermal patch has worked well in the past. Does anyone have experiences on this trip. Looks like most of the trip hugs the coastline which would be great, but there is some open water as well.Any info and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have done this trip I think 7 times now. Most of the route is in sheltered waters between islands near the coast.There are some streches of open water (about one per day) that usually last a couple of hours. The most risky bit is the last day between North Cape and Kirkenes, as there is about 24 hours sailing in the Barents sea in open waters and Barents sea can sometimes be quite bumpy. Usually by the time you arrive there you will have your sea legs! ;)

The upside of being near the coast all the time is that you have amazing landscape all around you almost 24/7 . The ships stops in 34 ports along the way (day and night), in the main cities you have time to explore a bit and in the small ports you may just have time to walk up and down the pier. There is little on board in the way of entertainement so you need to have a contemplative mind to enjoy.

I spend most of my time outside on deck watching the scenery go by and so far I didn't get bored a single minute. I'm a amateur landscape photographer so it's a dream voyage for me. Norway coastline is absolutely beautiful.

As I said, by the time you arrive in the Barents sea you've been several day on the ship and you have some sea legs. It doesn't have to be rough anyway, and remember that the ship stops several times a day so it is never 24 hours non-stop of rough seas. It's 3 to 4 hours at the most and then there is a port of call.

If the patch has worked for your husband before then maybe use it before the Barents sea (but get in touch with the crew or the tour guide, they will have the weather forecast and they will tell you if it is needed or not).

You'll have noticed there are several different sizes of ships- it might be useful to book one of the modern ships, also choose a cabin in the middle of the ship with less movement that you can retreat to if you're Husband feels the need.

SarniaLo, we will be taking this trip in November. Were anyof yours in winter? If so, was there much opportunity for scenery watching andphotography?

Most of my trips were in winter, but not in November however. I don't think this is the best season to be honest. Statistically it's a very wet month, so the light is gloomy (and the days are getting short fast), however there might not be a lot of snow. Altogether not the best for landscape. And often overcast skies so not good for Northern Lights. Honestly I don't think I would do a trip at this season if I had a choice. Is that your only option?

For a real winter trip, mid-February to mid-March I think is the best, with plenty of snow everywhere, beautiful lights with sunset and sunrise, long enough days to enjoy the landscape and long enough lights for Northern Lights. Or if you want to experience the polar night (which is not a real 24 hours nights, then go over the Christmas holidays, there is a fun atmosphere on board. Or late September/early October for autumn colors. In November all the leaves have gone but the snow might not be there yet.

You can look at my blog to see the difference in landscape at these seasons.

I took this trip in 2014, leaving Bergen December 1. We didn't have a lot of rain, and scenery was nice , but the few daylight hours from about 9:30-3:30 made me decide not to go again at that time of year. Way too dreary! We did see the northern lights twice. Six weeks from now I'll be on a Hurtigruten ship again, hoping to enjoy lots more light but not expecting to see the northern lights. Oh yes, I did have to take Dramamine a few times, but had no serious issues.