keeping money safe

RNGALNG

DH and I are getting excited about our next cruise. (Don't you after you book one?) We are planning on going snorkeling for the first time in one of the ports. Since we will need to purchase food at some point and possibly other trinkets along the way, where do you put your cash, credit cards, etc while you snorkel?

I know there has to be something that can be worn around the neck that would keep it all dry, right? What and where do I find such things?

Thank you very much in advance for your wisdom!

We love our "Splash Caddy" which is a nylon fanny pack that contains a special triple sealed plastic bag that will hold all your valuable. The Splash Caddy's are actually used by many SCUBA divers and are rated waterproof below 100 feet. The only catch is that you must always remember to properly seal the internal bag :). This is available from many sites (you can just google it) or you can find it on Magellan's. We have used this gadget for about 15 years when we snorkel and SCUBA and never had a problem.

Hank

May I take the opportunity to praise the sea-worthiness of the US dollar.:)

Over the years a small fortune in £££ in my jeans pockets has failed to survive forays into the bowels of the washing machine :rolleyes:

Your credit cards & cruise cards will also survive a soaking.

Souvenirs & trinkets are best bought later in the day.

The problem is cameras & watches, these tend not to swim well & few beaches have lockable deposit boxes.

Your gear is pretty safe on a catamaran, etc, but if you're snorkelling from a beach the ship's beach towels are your salvation. Not the towels you're carrying, but spotting the identical towels carried by others from your ship. So you can ask fellow-cruisers to mind your gear. Possibly on a reciprocal basis.

Folk who are keen photographers tend to take two cameras on a cruise - thie pride&joy and a cheapie. The cheapie for such crcumstances.

JB :)

My husbands swimsuit has an inside zipper pocket, we put cash and cruise cards/ID in there.

This is what we do, usually in a small ziplock tucked into this pocket.

Your gear is pretty safe on a catamaran, etc, but if you're snorkelling from a beach the ship's beach towels are your salvation. Not the towels you're carrying, but spotting the identical towels carried by others from your ship. So you can ask fellow-cruisers to mind your gear. Possibly on a reciprocal basis.

JB

The mutual minding of fellow cruiser's items on the beach has worked well for us too.

My husbands swimsuit has an inside zipper pocket, we put cash and cruise cards/ID in there.

Yup Yup! After spending a lot of money on various waterproof things that either leaked, got in the way of other things, were too big or too small we ended up with the brilliant idea of buying DH a swimsuit with an inside zipper pocket.

Depending on how ambitious I am, I either stick the cruise cards, 1 credit card and some cash in his pocket as is - or I put them in a snack size (smaller than sandwich) zip lock bag and then into his pocket.

The zip lock baggie is not foolproof but then it's also more for keeping everything together so when he pulls out the cruise ID the money doesn't go flying all over. But many times the baggie does keep everything dry.

We've also left cash in our day pack on the boat or shore - figuring that losing $10 of singles (we never go ashore with much cash) isn't that much of a tragedy and it makes for less stuff in DH's pocket. We've never had a dime stolen.

Your ship key, credit card and cash CAN get wet....it won't hurt any of them.

And yes,.....we'll leave things in the excursion transportation, if we have to....it's always been fine...hubby will put his key and cc into his swim trunk pocket...has velcro or a button...something to keep it closed.

Just don't bring too much!

Your ship key, credit card and cash CAN get wet....it won't hurt any of them.

And yes,.....we'll leave things in the excursion transportation, if we have to....it's always been fine...hubby will put his key and cc into his swim trunk pocket...has velcro or a button...something to keep it closed.

Just don't bring too much!

I too just let my CC and cash and whatever cards I need, get wet. However, I would strongly advise in getting something better than Velcro type closure -- I have lost the contents of my pocket by relying on such closure. Ouch!:(

I too just let my CC and cash and whatever cards I need, get wet. However, I would strongly advise in getting something better than Velcro type closure -- I have lost the contents of my pocket by relying on such closure. Ouch!:(

I use my zipper pocket, but put a small safety pin behind the zipper tab, so it's can't come undone.

Archived