Sochi, Russia

We are booked on a Black Sea cruise next year, with an overnight call at Sochi. I understand that a Visa is required if we do Sochi on our own, which we probably will do. Does anyone know how safe Sochi is, or if there is any sort of nightlife there? We usually like to take advantage of overnight port visits by eating dinner ashore and visiting the local area.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
We are booked on a Black Sea cruise next year, with an overnight call at Sochi. I understand that a Visa is required if we do Sochi on our own, which we probably will do. Does anyone know how safe Sochi is, or if there is any sort of nightlife there? We usually like to take advantage of overnight port visits by eating dinner ashore and visiting the local area.

Michael

We will be on the Constellation starting 14 October next year and also hope for a DIY in Sochi. I'll be checking back at this board (and on the roll call) about this port. Maybe we'll see you there.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael

The nightlife is probably decent, especially during the summer high season when lots of Russian tourists will be in town. You will want to keep your wits about you at night, especially in nightclubs. Transportation can be an issue as taxis are generally unofficial and therefore a bit dodgy. You might want to stick within walking distance of the port. Or you could think about hiring a driver for the day/night. The train station is not too far from the port if you want to go check out the Olympic sites.

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from Celebrity Cruises first visit to Sochi. Great experience. I recommend that you organise your tour with a reputable tour company who will arrange for group visas and you do not have that hassle to contend with.

We organised a tour with Sochi Holidays, Julia was my contact. Their organisation was excellent. I corresponded with Julia for 17 months before we toured and put together a tour over two days for 30 people. The link is holidays@sochi.com. I cannot recommend highly enough.

Hope you enjoy Sochi