Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Eco & Expedition Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default small environmentally friendly practices on ships

When I was on Celebrity Infinity in June, I was impressed to see a sign in the washroom that the towels would not be changed unless we leave them on the floor - they were trying to be environmentally friendly.

So, we were surprised that the first day after our room was cleaned, our towels were replaced with clean ones (even though they were - specifically - not left on the floor).

I actually phoned our stateroom attendant and asked about it, and suggested that I wanted them to abide by the sign. He seemed very surprised and asked "are you sure?". Obviously not many people complain about it. I suspect they would get more phone calls and complaints if they didn't change the towels (because people don't read signs!!!). Of course, it was fine after I talked to him.

I would like to encourage more people who are concerned about these little things to phone while on their cruise to hold them to the environmentally friendly practices they say they are doing. I only wish I had thought to also mention it in my evaluation at the end of the cruise...

I don't want to knock Celebrity, as I really had a fabulous time; this is just one little thing that irked me...

Old December 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I seen this on ships and hotels. Both in some cases don't follow their
own signs.

Its just too bad that more people don't follow these types of signs.

GAZINGM42

Cruise Countdown Tickers

OCT 16, 2011 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean

06/20/2010 Carnival Valor Western Caribbean
03/14/2010 Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean
06/06/2009 Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean
06/18/2008 Carnival Spirit Alaska
05/27/2007 Carnival Valor Western Caribbean
10/07/2006 Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean
04/03/2006 Carnival Elation Western Caribbean
10/09/2005 Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean
06/30/2004 Carnival Spirit ALASKA
02/06/1994 Jubilee MEXICAN RIVIERA
04/23/1989 Tropicale MEXICAN RIVIERA
05/05/1985 Tropicale MEXICAN RIVIERA

Old February 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

On Holland they do abide by the signs, ie if you hang a used towel on the hook, in is not changed, but if you leave it on the floor is is replsced. I think most hotels and cruise lines do so.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsipes View Post
On Holland they do abide by the signs, ie if you hang a used towel on the hook, in is not changed, but if you leave it on the floor is is replsced. I think most hotels and cruise lines do so.
We were on HAL's Westerdam in late January, and you're right.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

This wasn't on a cruise, but in a store rather. I was at IKEA and in their bathrooms, you flush up for liquids and down for solids. I thought this was great to think about things like that and the use of water. Of course when I brought this up, my MIL didn't read the sign and just flushed down However, I guess it makes a difference to the people who do read the sign.

IKEA also charges for throw-away (or recyclable plastic bags), 5 cents per bag. Or you can purchse a large reuseable bag for $.59. I also noticed that their pillows and blankets were vacuumed packed for shipping fitting 3-4 times as many in boxes as most places.

I just love the fact that a large corporate store is taking strides to leave a smaller carbon footprint.