Heathrow to Salisbury

Getting tired of not being able to find transport options (other than rail which can't been checked so far out in spring 2017).

Is there any company that actually takes you from Heathrow or London to Salisbury at all?

Not looking for a bus tour, we just want to get to a Salisbury hotel when one arrives just before noon from overseas

Can't check out National or Southwest rail (and who knows if Southwest will even settle any strike)

THanks

The current train strike misery is only with Southern Trains, though there's also the possibility of strikes on Virgin Trains. But neither of those operators are involved in your journey. Trains to Salisbury from London (Waterloo) are Southwest Trains, from Heathrow it's a combination of Great Western & SWT.

It'll be a while before train timetables for the Spring are published, but most timetables will be unchanged so you can plan your journey now using a closer date (same day-of-the-week) & double-check later.

Travel from central London to Salisbury is straightforward.

There's a direct hourly train service, currently costing from just £9 per person.

By bus, again it's direct but there only a few per day (10am. 1.30pm, 6pm, 9.30pm). About £18 per person.

From Heathrow it's more difficult.

Same infrequent but direct Nat Express bus service, about £19. That's your simplest option if it fits your flight arrival time (and any flight delay). Allow 60 to 90 minutes for airport formalities. You'd comfortably make the bus timed around 2.30 (depending which airport terminal). Journey time something under 2 hours.

By train, the timetables show several options, all of them a bit complex. Most frequent is Heathrow to London (Paddington), cross central London :eek: to Waterloo station to catch the hourly train to Salisbury. All of these options cost over £60 pp - two people could book a private transfer by car for less than £120!!!!

But a further option is available, starting the journey with a bus. The frequent Railair bus (two or three per hour, about £17 pp) takes you from Heathrow to Reading station

http://www.railair.com/

Then the train from Reading to Salisbury, via a change at Basingstoke. Hourly (or better) service, about £17 pp. So a total of about £34 pp

From Heathrow, central London & Salisbury are in opposite directions.

From central London the direct train is the obvious choice.

From Heathrow, the Nat Express bus timing appears to suit. Or take either the Railair bus/train, or book a private transfer.

Timings quoted are for weekdays, they may be different for sundays. Prices quoted are for pre-booked.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

All trains from Heathrow go to London and to get anywhere else, you have to change there. As JB says, the cheapest and easiest with luggage is the Nat Express direct coach. Of course, you also have to get from the coach station to your hotel.

A private hire car will collect you from Heathrow and deliver you and your luggage to your hotel for around £90.

Edited by Bob++

Thanks guys. We've now moved our landing flight to midweek. I've found a few private cars taking people from Heathrow but still it does add up. Now that I've found some options, we'll keep an eye out on the train schedule. We also have to arrange transportation from Salisbury to Southhampton cruise dock, perhaps by train.

We also have to arrange transportation from Salisbury to Southhampton cruise dock, perhaps by train.

That's an easy one. :)

Weekdays there's a direct half-hourly train service from Salisbury to Southampton central station. Journey time about 30 minutes, walk-up fare about £10.

Then a taxi from the station to your ship £6 to £10 depending on your cruise terminal. Or if the weather's fine, your luggage is easy, Time isn't a problem & you're feeling fit, City terminal is about a 15 minute walk, Mayflower or Ocean about 25 mins. QE11 terminal isn't sensibly walkable because it's deep in the docks.

(Common mistake on these pages, but note the spelling of Southampton)

Edited by John Bull

• 4 months later...

JB

So we received a quote from Smithsforairports from Salisbury to Luna Simone Hotel and they quoted $160 plus $11.50 congestion charge on a Sunday afternoon.

From google and from the Transport for London's site, the hotel is not in the zone. My question is the route and the need to go within (or along the boundary) of the congestion zone.

However, as North Americans drive on the right side of the road, I'm a bit at odds with the driving on the left side and all the one way roads so I'm not sure if the route is required.

I mean we've been in London before but we really don't need to go by Buckingham Palace and see the 'sites'. We just want to get to and from one hotel to another.

I'm not saying that the congestion fee isn't valid but with a fare going from Heathrow to Salisbury being $130GB plus parking fee (for a Friday afternoon), I'm just really interested in whether it's the best route?

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/congestion-charge-zone?intcmp=2055

Anyone else have an opinion?

Edited by yaletownboy
Dates

There is no congestion charge in London on a Sunday.

There is a Railair coach connection from Heathrow to Woking station, then you could get the train onto Salisbury.

Congestion charge on a sunday? :confused:

My thoughts exactly, Steve.

And yes, in any case Luna Simone is just outside that zone, and can be accessed without entering it.

Someone at Smiths doesn't know their onions, or didn't check the day-of-the-week or precise hotel location.;)

But Smiths aren't best -placed for London to Salisbury - they're based in the Southampton/Portsmouth area, so their quote has to allow for empty mileage to Salisbury.

So get quotes from Salisbury-based operators.

BTW, my bad on a previous post. Yes, the Railair station for Heathrow to Salisbury is Woking, not Reading.

From Luna Simone to Salisbury you have the choice of direct National Express bus (only a ten-minute walk or short taxi ride to Victoria coach station), or ten-minute taxi ride to Waterloo station for a direct train. There are taxi ranks at Salisbury's rail & coach stations.

Or a private transfer.

Each has its pros & cons - depends on timings, preferences and thickness of your wallet.

But one thing to bear in mind is that it's a sunday. So make sure you check the sunday services.

And be aware that sundays are maintenance days on the railways - they choose sundays if a section of track has to be closed for engineering work, & provide a rail-replacement bus shuttle between stations either side of the closure

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx

Unlikely that you'll be unlucky, and anyway it's only a minor pain in the *** switching to a bus mid-journey, & usually no big deal.

Edited by John Bull

TY guys for the info and railway maintenance

I emailed smithsforairports and they just said it would just be the flat rate no congestion charge. One short line.

Either way, our Friday flight times into heathrow make it narrowly close to make it on the National and same with trains to Salisbury so a car is, unfortunately, our best option.

Coming from Salisbury into Central London on Sunday has multiple options and car service from a Salisbury company is only a 5gb difference.