Dublin city centre to cruise port

Can anyone tell me the distance from Dublin city centre to the cruise port and if it is possible to do this journey by public transport? How much would a taxi cost?

Also any recommendations for good value accommodation in the city centre (only for 3 nights)?

Many thanks.

Can anyone tell me the distance from Dublin city centre to the cruise port and if it is possible to do this journey by public transport? How much would a taxi cost?

Also any recommendations for good value accommodation in the city centre (only for 3 nights)?

Many thanks.

Can't help with hotel, but the cruise port is not very far from the city center. It is still too far to walk for most people. We took the cruise ship shuttle to Trinity College.

I expect that a taxi would not be expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, but I have not been online recently. It is possible to walk from Dublin Port to the city centre, but I would not recommend it. The port is in an industrial area and I find the walk a long traipse. There will be a plentiful supply of taxis around when a cruise ship berths and the fare should be around €15. I am assuming that your ship is using Dublin Port and not Dun Laoghaire. If the latter is the case, then let me know.

As regards good value accommodation in the city centre, tourism is booming at present, there is a shortage of hotel beds and a recent report states that Dublin hotels are the second most expensive in Europe.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/dublin-hotels-are-second-most-expensive-in-europe-1.2759286

Therefore, reasonably priced hotel accommodation in the city centre is hard to find. Have a look on TripAdvisor and if you find anything that you like the look of, let me know and I will advise what I know of the hotel. I would recommend that you avoid any hotels in Temple Bar, the entertainment district, as they are likely to be very noisy.

The one good value hotel that I will recommend is the Clayton Hotel in Ballsbridge which was formerly known as Bewley's Hotel.

http://www.claytonhotelballsbridge.com/

But it is not in the city centre. Ballsbridge is an upmarket inner suburb, the British embassy is next door to the hotel and the US embassy is a few hundred metres down the road. It will take about ten minutes by bus to get to the city centre and several buses go past the hotel. I have spent several nights in the hotel, when it was Bewley's, and have always found it highly satisfactory. I am assuming that under its new ownership the same standards are being upheld.

Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Dermot

My apologies for hijacking the OP's post! Any suggestions for an apartment hotel to sleep 5/6 adults for a week next June? I found quite a few places on VRBO but they all want advance payment without cancellation, I don't want to commit this far ahead. Thanks in advance:)

If you are willing to stay a bit outside the city center I highly recommend the Aberdeen Lodge. It is a small boutique hotel not far from the Ballsbridge location mentioned above. It is a short walk from the Aberdeen Lodge to the Dart station and it was a very short hop into the city center (less than 10 minutes) on the train. It was also a short walk to the beach and to the little village of Sandymount that we loved. The Aberdeen Lodge was a homey friendly and delightful respite after a day in the city and they provided an excellent breakfast.

The proprietor will send a driver to pick you up from either airport or cruise port for a very reasonable rate as well.

For our recent Celebrity cruise our ship was conveniently docked near the entrance to the port. We decided to walk and it was about 30 minutes with only the first 5-10 near the port.

You may want to triple check where your ship is docking. The cruise prior to ours tendered and did not dock.

For our recent Celebrity cruise our ship was conveniently docked near the entrance to the port. We decided to walk and it was about 30 minutes with only the first 5-10 near the port.

You may want to triple check where your ship is docking. The cruise prior to ours tendered and did not dock.

Thanks - hope our ship does dock as Dublin is where we are boarding lol! Walking from the city centre is not an option due to my husbands mobility issues.

I really appreciate your input - thanks again.

Edited by campolady

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, but I have not been online recently. It is possible to walk from Dublin Port to the city centre, but I would not recommend it. The port is in an industrial area and I find the walk a long traipse. There will be a plentiful supply of taxis around when a cruise ship berths and the fare should be around €15. I am assuming that your ship is using Dublin Port and not Dun Laoghaire. If the latter is the case, then let me know.

As regards good value accommodation in the city centre, tourism is booming at present, there is a shortage of hotel beds and a recent report states that Dublin hotels are the second most expensive in Europe.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/dublin-hotels-are-second-most-expensive-in-europe-1.2759286

Therefore, reasonably priced hotel accommodation in the city centre is hard to find. Have a look on TripAdvisor and if you find anything that you like the look of, let me know and I will advise what I know of the hotel. I would recommend that you avoid any hotels in Temple Bar, the entertainment district, as they are likely to be very noisy.

The one good value hotel that I will recommend is the Clayton Hotel in Ballsbridge which was formerly known as Bewley's Hotel.

http://www.claytonhotelballsbridge.com/

If you are willing to stay a bit outside the city center I highly recommend the Aberdeen Lodge. It is a small boutique hotel not far from the Ballsbridge location mentioned above. It is a short walk from the Aberdeen Lodge to the Dart station and it was a very short hop into the city center (less than 10 minutes) on the train. It was also a short walk to the beach and to the little village of Sandymount that we loved. The Aberdeen Lodge was a homey friendly and delightful respite after a day in the city and they provided an excellent breakfast.

The proprietor will send a driver to pick you up from either airport or cruise port for a very reasonable rate as well.

But it is not in the city centre. Ballsbridge is an upmarket inner suburb, the British embassy is next door to the hotel and the US embassy is a few hundred metres down the road. It will take about ten minutes by bus to get to the city centre and several buses go past the hotel. I have spent several nights in the hotel, when it was Bewley's, and have always found it highly satisfactory. I am assuming that under its new ownership the same standards are being upheld.

Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

Dermot

Thank you both for your help and recommendations. Both hotels look lovely but, although we fully realise that the centre will be noisier, sadly we need the city centre due to my husbands mobility problems.

I really appreciate your input.

Edited by campolady

We took a taxi from the port to the Kilmainham Jail - it was 23 British Pounds. We didn't think it was bad considering how far we traveled and traffic (morning rush hour). Going back to the ship from Teelings Distillery the cost was 18 British Pounds. We did ride the HOHO bus around town but took a taxi in to make sure we were at the jail for our reserved tour (make reservations or you will not get in) and we took a cab back as it was raining fairly hard and didn't want to bother waiting for the HOHO bus to take us closer to the ship before catching a taxi and saving a little money. Hope this helps. Oh, this was two weeks ago.

Edited by acctgtogo

Ideally, for a visitor with mobility issues, the hotel should be situated in the area bounded by Trinity College/Nassau Street to the north, Merrion Square to the east, St Stephen's Green to the South, and Grafton Street and its environs to the west. This is the fashionable area of Dublin and contains most of the sights that tourists would be interested in visiting. It is also compact and suitable for walking around. But this is a counsel of perfection.

This area contains Dublin's finest hotels, but they are expensive. Whether they are 'good value' depends of one's personal circumstances, I guess. I couldn't afford to stay in them. For less expensive accommodation, but still reasonably central, try looking at hotels just outside the central area I have listed.

Dermot

My apologies for hijacking the OP's post! Any suggestions for an apartment hotel to sleep 5/6 adults for a week next June? I found quite a few places on VRBO but they all want advance payment without cancellation, I don't want to commit this far ahead. Thanks in advance:)

I have no knowledge of apartment hotels in Dublin. TripAdvisor carries reviews of a number of such hotels, so you could have a look at them and see if any appear suitable. The only guidance I could offer would be on the location of the apartment hotel.

Dermot

I have no knowledge of apartment hotels in Dublin. TripAdvisor carries reviews of a number of such hotels, so you could have a look at them and see if any appear suitable. The only guidance I could offer would be on the location of the apartment hotel.

Dermot

Dermot, there are some apartment hotels in Dublin, eg Key Collection, Staycity, City Apartments, etc. Some require full advance payment without cancellation, others aren't ready to book till Oct/Nov. Trinity College also has rooms/apartments during summer but again the earliest one can book is Jan 2017.

I usually like to plan well in advance and would like to find something suitable asap. We'll be staying for a week, so a self-catering apartment would be more comfortable, and cheaper too! Thanks:)

Dermot, there are some apartment hotels in Dublin, eg Key Collection, Staycity, City Apartments, etc. Some require full advance payment without cancellation, others aren't ready to book till Oct/Nov. Trinity College also has rooms/apartments during summer but again the earliest one can book is Jan 2017.

I usually like to plan well in advance and would like to find something suitable asap. We'll be staying for a week, so a self-catering apartment would be more comfortable, and cheaper too! Thanks:)

I have had a look at the locations of the keycollection.ie and StayCity apartments. Although the apartments are relatively central, they are not in what I would consider the best or most salubrious parts of Dublin. They both have apartments in Temple Bar which, in my opinion, is their best location. But bear in my mind that this is the entertainment and night-life quarter of the city, full of bars and restaurants, so noise could be an issue at night. I am solely commenting on the locations and have no information on the standard of the apartments themselves.

I found the dublincityapartments.ie website impossible to navigate as regards getting detailed information on the specific location of their apartments.

If it were me, based solely on location, I would unhesitatingly stay in Trinity College. Stressing that this is on location alone, having no knowledge of the standard of the accommodation. But I am rather partial to university accommodation, having stayed on several English campuses - Manchester, Bath, Queen Mary's and Imperial in London - and always found the accommodation satisfactory. The one essential is that I have an en-suite room.

Dermot

I have had a look at the locations of the keycollection.ie and StayCity apartments. Although the apartments are relatively central, they are not in what I would consider the best or most salubrious parts of Dublin. They both have apartments in Temple Bar which, in my opinion, is their best location. But bear in my mind that this is the entertainment and night-life quarter of the city, full of bars and restaurants, so noise could be an issue at night. I am solely commenting on the locations and have no information on the standard of the apartments themselves.

I found the dublincityapartments.ie website impossible to navigate as regards getting detailed information on the specific location of their apartments.

If it were me, based solely on location, I would unhesitatingly stay in Trinity College. Stressing that this is on location alone, having no knowledge of the standard of the accommodation. But I am rather partial to university accommodation, having stayed on several English campuses - Manchester, Bath, Queen Mary's and Imperial in London - and always found the accommodation satisfactory. The one essential is that I have an en-suite room.

Dermot

Thanks Dermot. One apartment is near the Ha'penny Bridge, how is that area? Ideally, I too would like an at apartment at Trinity College, though this won't open up till January 2017! Thanks again, Prish

http://www.thespencerhotel.com/index.html

I spent a long weekend here recently, and really liked the hotel :)

Very close to the Luas, just across the bridge to the city centre - I walked it several times, but also found taxis were plentiful and inexpensive

Several restaurants nearby, and very convenient to and from the airport as the shuttle bus stops more or less outside the door - and very close to the port too

I enjoyed it so much I plan to go back :D

I love Dublin - my father was a Dubliner and I have a huge extended family there :)

Edited by Darcy15

Thanks Dermot. One apartment is near the Ha'penny Bridge, how is that area? Ideally, I too would like an at apartment at Trinity College, though this won't open up till January 2017! Thanks again, Prish

'Near' is a weasel word and its meaning can vary depending on whether you are the buyer or the seller. What is the exact address of the apartment?

Do please bear in mind, however, that I am giving my opinion, which is that of one individual, on the desirability or otherwise of the locations. Other Dubliners might say that some of the locations are perfectly fine. Have you looked at TripAdvisor reviews to get a wider perspective?

What is the best place to pick up the HOHO bus in Dublin. I know the bus #53 goes from the port, Alexandra Road bus stop to Talbot & Mabbot. Is it easy to walk from the ship Dock to Alexandra? The main HOHO 1st stop is at Talbot and O'Connell. Is this an easy walk from Talbot & Mabbot? Is it the best stop to begin at? The Dublin HOHO contact suggested going to Merrion Square. We would have to take a taxi to get there I imagine instead of taking the bus. Anybody from Dublin have any suggestions. Don't want to waste precious time taking buses if it's not worth it.

'Near' is a weasel word and its meaning can vary depending on whether you are the buyer or the seller. What is the exact address of the apartment?

Do please bear in mind, however, that I am giving my opinion, which is that of one individual, on the desirability or otherwise of the locations. Other Dubliners might say that some of the locations are perfectly fine. Have you looked at TripAdvisor reviews to get a wider perspective?

Dermot, I see what you mean, and of course I understand that you are only commenting on the location, not the actual apartments.

Am looking at two places, Staycity Millennium Walk and Dublin 1 Apartments, the former on Upper Abbey Street and the latter on Middle Abbey Street. Both get decent reviews on TA and I've messaged someone who actually stayed at the latter and was happy.

I'll probably book one of these apartments as they have free cancellation, then keep looking. I'd like the Trinity College accommodation but being student housing there's no TV, DH will probably have something to say about that, especially since we'll be staying a week:D

Thanks again, really do appreciate your taking the time to answer:)

What is the best place to pick up the HOHO bus in Dublin. I know the bus #53 goes from the port, Alexandra Road bus stop to Talbot & Mabbot. Is it easy to walk from the ship Dock to Alexandra? The main HOHO 1st stop is at Talbot and O'Connell. Is this an easy walk from Talbot & Mabbot? Is it the best stop to begin at? The Dublin HOHO contact suggested going to Merrion Square. We would have to take a taxi to get there I imagine instead of taking the bus. Anybody from Dublin have any suggestions. Don't want to waste precious time taking buses if it's not worth it.

Rosepetals, depends on where the ship is docking. We were supposed to dock at Dun Laoghaire last year, then they changed it to Dublin about a month before the sailing. The former is a short ride on the DART (train), last year the return fare was about 7-8 euros I believe. Dublin port is rather far to walk, maybe 20-30 minutes, part of it in the actual port. Apart from the bus the ship has a shuttle, you can also take a taxi; cost about 10 euros from Trinity College, we shared with another couple, so it worked out very reasonable.

Rosepetals, depends on where the ship is docking. We were supposed to dock at Dun Laoghaire last year, then they changed it to Dublin about a month before the sailing. The former is a short ride on the DART (train), last year the return fare was about 7-8 euros I believe. Dublin port is rather far to walk, maybe 20-30 minutes, part of it in the actual port. Apart from the bus the ship has a shuttle, you can also take a taxi; cost about 10 euros from Trinity College, we shared with another couple, so it worked out very reasonable.

Does Celebrity charge for the shuttle to go from ship to Dublin centre? Do you know where it drops people off? Would you know, since you took a taxi.

Does Celebrity charge for the shuttle to go from ship to Dublin centre? Do you know where it drops people off? Would you know, since you took a taxi.

Tess, Celebrity will most certainly charge for the shuttle, I think it drops you off near Trinity College. I know there's a bus stop just as you get out of the port area, though I can't tell you if the port has a shuttle to get you there.

This is what the Dublin port website says, though the city center is at least 7-10 minutes by taxi from the port!

Dublin Port is very centrally located, only minutes from Dublin city centre. Buses and taxis provide a regular service from the port to the city and beyond.

http://www.dublinport.ie/tourism/

Tom's port guide might have more information, haven't had the time to look at it yet.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/dublin-12-20-2013.pdf

Edited by prish

Hi,

Make life easy for yourself and either get the cruise company's shuttle bus, if they operate one, or take a taxi. The number 53 bus is for passengers who are taking the cross-channel ferry to Holyhead and it operates to the Ferry Terminal. There is only one bus every hour and I do not know how near the berth your cruise ship will be using is to the ferry port. Most of the shuttle buses appear to drop passengers off at Trinity College and this is a good place to pick up the HoHo bus. The stop is listed as Nassau Street on the Dublin Bus HoHo schedule.

I'll give a hotel recommendation in Dublin that has a good price and includes breakfast. It's the Best Western Academy Plaza Hotel. The HOHO has a stop almost in front of the hotel as well. Prices range $200 to $250. You could spend more for a more central and fancy location, but this hotel is solid and a good choice.

Hi,

Make life easy for yourself and either get the cruise company's shuttle bus, if they operate one, or take a taxi. The number 53 bus is for passengers who are taking the cross-channel ferry to Holyhead and it operates to the Ferry Terminal. There is only one bus every hour and I do not know how near the berth your cruise ship will be using is to the ferry port. Most of the shuttle buses appear to drop passengers off at Trinity College and this is a good place to pick up the HoHo bus. The stop is listed as Nassau Street on the Dublin Bus HoHo schedule.

Thank you so much for the detailed information. Is Trinity College the best place to take a taxi to for us to pick up the HoHo? As a first time Dublin visitor, where would you suggest spending most of our time walking around to get a good taste of your city ( we will have only about 7-8 hrs including HoHo).