17 Day Diet on Dr. Phil

swissmiss

I have been on this diet for about 2.5 weeks. Love it! This is my first official diet ever so I have been really strict with following the guidlines and have lost 15 lbs. I have also added brisk walking for 30 minutes 5 times a week. I think the plan is easy to follow and not as restrictive as Adkins or Southbeach. I had wanted to loose 15 lbs by my 1/27 cruise and have met that goal. I'm shooting for 5 more!

Edited by FLOTR

I have been on this diet for about 2.5 weeks. Love it! This is my first official diet ever so I have been really strict with following the guidlines and have lost 15 lbs. I have also added brisk walking for 30 minutes 5 times a week. I think the plan is easy to follow and not as restrictive as Adkins or Southbeach. I had wanted to loose 15 lbs by my 1/27 cruise and have met that goal. I'm shooting for 5 more!

You lost 15 lbs in 2.5 weeks??? If so, what does this diet consist of?

A human being cannot lose 15 pounds in 2.5 weeks - at least not of fat. It takes 3500 calories deficit to lose one pound of pure fat. You can't go down to 0 calories. Even if you went to 800 calories a day (very unhealthy and not good for brain functioning), for 17 days, that's 13,600 calories divided by 3500 = 3.88 pounds.

Got my book in the mail this week, but haven't gotten to read too much of it yet. On call at the hospital for 24 hours starting tomorrow:eek:, so the book is coming with me and hopefully I won't be catching babies all day and night so I can get the book read. Then I can hit the grocery store Sunday am and do the workout before bed.

My mother was very strict with the South Beach eating plan a few years ago and was able to say Good Bye to about 45 pounds in a short period of time. Once the weight started to drop, she wanted to exercise because she realized how good she was feeling. Hoping that I can have similar results.

Leaving for a land and sea Alaska tour on June 12, so hope to drop a decent amount of flab by then. Gotta be able to hike and explore the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness without getting out of breath:)

Let the shrinking begin:D:D

Is this book only available from their website? I generally trust things recommended by Dr. Phil and The Doctors, but I'm still a little concerned that this may just be the "diet of the month."

Still, I could really use something that worked quickly. I'm hoping to have surgery in February, and it would be good to lose a few pounds beforehand.

Yes, the book is only available at the17daydiet.com

and the reason why I decided to try it, was Dr. Phil does not endorse diets, but eating differently, and every 17 days, they add more food. I also do the 17 min. workout video every morning, and it is teriffic.

Just saw the doctor today. It looks like my surgery will be mid-March at the earliest, and waiting until April would give me a better chance of success. The doctor told me I shouldn't really be losing weight right now. I need to focus on getting proper nutrition and healing from my earlier surgery. (Apparently you really need to eat plenty of calories in order for your body to heal. When I was in the hospital before, they kept scolding me for not eating enough.)

It looks like I won't be doing the 17-day diet any time soon. I'll check in to see how you're doing, though. Good Luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

and exercise DVD. Looking forward to reading and starting it. I need to lose about 22 lbs. I have a cruise coming up for my bday March 11-14 and family pictures the end of March so hope to have it off by pictures~

How's everyone doing?? 15 lbs. in 2.5 weeks is fantastic!! Anyone else?:)

Edited by Litewait

• 1 month later...

I didn't buy the book but this diet was featured in last week's Woman's World magazine. Bought all the food I needed and started on Monday. I am down 5.8 lbs in 3 days! Anyone with the book have any tips? I went on the 17 day website, but they don't give you too much info, they want you to buy the book obviously. I am specifically wondering about alchohol. I know you won't lose as much if you drink, but if you do what do they suggest that is low carb? Thanks!! :p

A human being cannot lose 15 pounds in 2.5 weeks - at least not of fat. It takes 3500 calories deficit to lose one pound of pure fat. You can't go down to 0 calories. Even if you went to 800 calories a day (very unhealthy and not good for brain functioning), for 17 days, that's 13,600 calories divided by 3500 = 3.88 pounds.

Did you calculate calories burned into that equation?

I bought the book about a month ago and started the 17 day diet on Monday, 3/14. I haven't weighed myself so not sure how I'm doing exactly. I am following the guidelines so keeping my fingers crossed that I've lost something!

Malibubaby - As far as alcohol is concerned. They do give you an idea of what you can drink in the book. I know they mention red wine. But when you are on the first cycle they recommend no alcohol. I don't have my book with me so I can't tell you what they listed as OK to drink. I will get back to you on that!

Good luck everyone!

Ok, so I just ordered this book and DH just said he thought it would be nice if we stayed on the riverwalk in San Antonio for a couple days. That of course would mean margaritas and mexican food.

So, I thought I read somewhere that on this diet the first two days are eating pretty much whatever you want. Is this correct? If so, I want to plan on those two days as the beginning of this plan. If someone knows, please let me know so I can book the rooms for a couple nights the last week of the month.

Also, how is everyone doing? I am using weight watchers and was hoping to do this diet under the umbrella of ww. WW is just going so slow, I was hoping to help it along.

Does anyone use the DVD and if so do you like it. I am considering ordering it from their web site. (cheaper than on amazon)

TIA

I went online and found out that Diet Coke and White Rum are very low carb. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum has a little carbs but not as much as Malibu my favorite. So I had 2 Diet & Captain's on Fri night and 4 Diet & White Rum on Saturday night and really watched the eating part and only gained .2lbs. I knew I was going to be out and having drinks, that's why I posted the question earlier in the week. I don't always drink like that every weekend, just good to know that if you do drink, that the drink's mentioned are a good choice. Let's face it, there is always some trip, event or party going on that is a diet buster! Back to being a good girl today!:p

My book is due today, but I found enough info to get started. I started on the diet this Monday, the 21st and have lost 3.8 pounds in two days. I'm sure it is water but I don't care...it is still nearly 4 pounds. Hopefully it will continue. Malibu, I have had two 5 oz. glasses of red wine both evenings.

I haven't decided on purchasing the work out DVD yet or not since I have some workouts I already like.

Did you see the website that has tons of info:

http://tksinclair.com/?page_id=119

If you don't have the book, that site will help. I also purchased her ecookbook but you can find most of the recipes if you feel like doing all the searching for them. Last night I made the Crockpot Basil Artichoke Chicken and it was fabulous. My DH had his over rice. He b****ed about the smell all day but said the dish was so good he would put up with the smell.

Oh and btw, I purchased the book from Amazon for $12 something. The price has dropped down quite a bit.

Edited by EmmasNana
additional info

Thanks for all the info! I will probably break down and buy the book, I was just holding off on spending money until I know I will stick with it. I have done/bought every gimmick out there:) (I rejoined Weight Watchers online 3 weeks ago, but not crazy about the new plan and barely lost anything the first week so I just spent that money) I am on week two of this and I am doing great. When I did Atkins before I was a raving lunatic without carbs about 3 days in, but I am having no problem with this plan and not hungry.

Unfortunately, I don't care for red wine, I wish I did. I need to start exercising, I know I will lose faster with that. Keep up the great work!!

I have been doing ww too. I purchased the at home plan because I didn't want to keep paying a monthly fee. For $99 I got all the books, calculator and the magazine(which I could do without)

I was going to stay within the ww points and use the 17 day diet....not a problem. I get 29 pts with ww and so far only use about 17 - 19 a day with this new diet.:D

The door bell just rang and guess what came! I guess I will start reading!

Edited by EmmasNana
add

I have been doing ww too. I purchased the at home plan because I didn't want to keep paying a monthly fee. For $99 I got all the books, calculator and the magazine(which I could do without)

I was going to stay within the ww points and use the 17 day diet....not a problem. I get 29 pts with ww and so far only use about 17 - 19 a day with this new diet.:D

The door bell just rang and guess what came! I guess I will start reading!

That's a good idea, tonight I am going to compare what I am eating on the 17DD with my WW points allowance. (might as well get some use out of it:p )

• 2 weeks later...
Can you have sugar free jello while doing Phase I? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

It does not list this in the book but I looked at the nutritional info on sf jello and there is not much there. 10 cal 1 protein, 45 gram sodium...I don't see why you couldn't have it.

Go to the blog that I mentioned in an early post and get those peoples best guess but I think that if I wanted it I would eat it.

I have been on this diet for 17 days now. I will start cycle 2 tomorrow. I have lost 6.5 pounds so far. I am very pleased and it has been easy. I am still having 2 5oz glasses of red wine every evening(we have a Happy Hour every night) and that is when DH and I talk and chit chat and have our quality time together. It is pretty important to us. I am sure if I did not partake I would have lost more weight...

Good luck!

Another site with tons of info is thedoctorstv.com they have forums there all about this diet with tons of great recipes.

For whatever reason they say sugar free jello and/or pudding is a no on this diet! Forget the reason why!

I'm on Day 5 of Cycle 2 and have lost 13.5 lbs. Cycle 2 has been a little slow with the weight loss, but that's OK, I'm sticking to it! I've got 18 lbs. to go to reach my goal weight!

Good luck everyone. And check out that website its filled with great info!

• 3 weeks later...

Where I work promotes healthy living with a great cafeteria and full exercise facility, work out classes etc. We earn points every quarter by doing healthy things such as working out, wearing your seat belt everytime you drive, using the stairs etc. You can earn up to 24 extra hours paid vacation through this program so it's pretty popular. The company has always promoted the Mayo Clinic Diet but have now started a program for the 17 day diet for those who want to loose weight more rapidly. They are even reimbursing us for the cost of the book if we complete the program.

You really need to get the book and read it before you start. One lady in our office started it a week ago and gave up because she said she couldn't eat eggs every day. She should have taken time to read the book. Another guy in our office said he wasn't doing it because in Phase 1 you had to eat all raw vegetables.

I just started with the work program Thursday. I don't find it overly restrictive. I was afraid with Easter but I just ate grilled turkey and steamed asparagus. The test will be next Thursday when I weigh in again.

I think this is a good way to loose weight in a quick timeframe, but think after I loose my weight I'll go back to the Mayo Diet. It's nutritional pyramid makes more sense to me. My husband recently had 5 stents put in his heart and when they explained to him how he needed to change his eating habit, Mayo Diet was one that they recommened.

Just wondering if you can have coffee and cream on this diet. Is there anyplace you can find more about this diet.

You can have the coffee but I don't think you can have the cream. The book is on amazon for $13.29. Look back in this thread there are a couple references of where you can find out more about the diet.

I started cycle 3 on Easter. I totally blew it but sent all cookies and candy home with the grandkids and will get right back on today. This was the first time I blew it as I find the diet doable. I am sipping my "lemon tea" right now and after I have my 2 cups of coffee will begin zumba.

I leave for my cruise this coming Sunday and will probably not reach my goal for it. I will begin cycle 1 or as some call it recycle 1 again once I get back. Since I don't think most desserts on carnival are that great I think I can stay with the diet most of the times. I will be having margaritas though. I find I can do this diet although I do end up making something for me and something for my DH in the evening. I can't have the pasta or rice or tortilla on cycle 1 or 2.