Main dining room-what time is best?

I know this is a general question but does anyone recommend a time that is best to dine in the main dining room. I'm cruising on the allure of the seas in November.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I know this is a general question but does anyone recommend a time that is best to dine in the main dining room. I'm cruising on the allure of the seas in November.

Well, will you be taking Traditional Dining at one of the two set times (usually 6:00, and 8:00 or 8:30 pm), or My Time Dining, when you pre-pay your tips before you leave home and can dine anytime you want to? The decision is yours, unless the choice you want is full in which case you can try to switch when you board the ship.

I prefer MTD as 6 is too early and 9:30(Eurocruiser) is too late.

But we don't like prepaying tips either.

We normally end up booking the early sitting but if we can't be bothered leaving the pool deck at 5 to shower and change(this happens more days than not) we go to the windjammer at around 7:30

Hi Langley cruises... I have chosen my time dining...but I would like a set time each night.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I would look at the show schedules and then make a decision on a night by night basis. It is best to reserve your shows in advance for the Allure so once you are able to do that, then I would book reservations for either MTD or specialty restaurants.

I would look at the show schedules and then make a decision on a night by night basis. It is best to reserve your shows in advance for the Allure so once you are able to do that, then I would book reservations for either MTD or specialty restaurants.

That is probably the best way to go. Gives you maximum flexibility in reserving shows.

Every person is different but since you asked I will tell you what we do. I look at the itinerary and the sail away times then book My time dining about two to three hours after that. The reason we like to be on the top decks enjoying a drink and the music and scenery at sail away, we can then take our time to get ready and then head to the champagne bar for a pre dinner cocktail. As I said everyone is different but that's our way. We really disliked the structured time dining, Since RCL started my time dining we never looked back.

Also, please know that you are not required to make a reservation each night. You are encouraged, but it is not necessary. You may simply show up when you are hungry and be seated, with or without a wait. If you are just going to "walk up", I would suggest an off-peak time, such as PLEIKU68 suggested - seriously, a time off the quarter hour might yield you less wait time. 6:18 pm, 6:48, 7:23... see? Not on a quarter hour - it works. :)

Just a little confused. I have the 6:00 dining time, but tips are prepaid. How will the wait-staff know that their tips are paid? Is it customary to still provide envelopes with additional money at the end of the week, even though tips were paid? Thanks.

Well, will you be taking Traditional Dining at one of the two set times (usually 6:00, and 8:00 or 8:30 pm), or My Time Dining, when you pre-pay your tips before you leave home and can dine anytime you want to? The decision is yours, unless the choice you want is full in which case you can try to switch when you board the ship.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I have my time dining...my question is do I have to still reserve a time...or do I just show up at the MDR? :confused:

Normally the best time is 6:18.

Really...if you are not doing My Time, there are two set times for dinner. Pick one .

Wow..this comment seems to be a bit cheeky :rolleyes: It's my first time cruising...I'm not sure how my time dining works. Thanks for the reply

I prefer MTD as 6 is too early and 9:30(Eurocruiser) is too late.

But we don't like prepaying tips either.

We normally end up booking the early sitting but if we can't be bothered leaving the pool deck at 5 to shower and change(this happens more days than not) we go to the windjammer at around 7:30

Yes that's what I was afraid of...6 being to early! Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Every person is different but since you asked I will tell you what we do. I look at the itinerary and the sail away times then book My time dining about two to three hours after that. The reason we like to be on the top decks enjoying a drink and the music and scenery at sail away, we can then take our time to get ready and then head to the champagne bar for a pre dinner cocktail. As I said everyone is different but that's our way. We really disliked the structured time dining, Since RCL started my time dining we never looked back.

Thanks for the great suggestion!:)

Also, please know that you are not required to make a reservation each night. You are encouraged, but it is not necessary. You may simply show up when you are hungry and be seated, with or without a wait. If you are just going to "walk up", I would suggest an off-peak time, such as PLEIKU68 suggested - seriously, a time off the quarter hour might yield you less wait time. 6:18 pm, 6:48, 7:23... see? Not on a quarter hour - it works. :)

Hi! That's great information! Thanks for the reply!:)

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I have my time dining...my question is do I have to still reserve a time...or do I just show up at the MDR? :confused:

No, you don't have to reserve a time, you can just show up. They will encourage you to pick a time, but you don't have to.

Just a little confused. I have the 6:00 dining time, but tips are prepaid. How will the wait-staff know that their tips are paid? Is it customary to still provide envelopes with additional money at the end of the week, even though tips were paid? Thanks.

Hi Truluv, I'm sure RC makes each employee aware of pre paid tips and it might say when they swipe your sea pass??? I think you can pay above the prepaid gratuity amount if you feel they exceeded your expectations. I heard RC gives out the gratuity envelopes even when you prepaid. I hope this helps.:confused:

When we were on the independence last March we had my time dining. We were glad we had that as we needed to move our dinner times so we could see the shows. One thing to consider is if you book it the night before as we did you can probably get the same waiters. We had the same waiters all week and it was really nice as we could expand on previous conversations(they went above and beyond for us too and we treated them accordingly).

We are also going on the allure but leaving in December. We have pulled a old cruise compass that a previous poster put up and were able to figure out what we intend on doing. It may be a good idea to look for a updated one for yourself early in the fall to plan out your trip fully. There is way too much to do when you get onboard these ships so it is best to have an idea of what you are in for. I have a spreadsheet just for stuff while we are on the ship and have not even started to plan our shore excursions stuff yet:rolleyes:. We are going to base our trip this way until we confirm our show times when they are avaliable online.

Here is a link to maybe help you out from another posters compass(eastern). Hope it works(have not posted one here before)

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4ERZw5oOFq1Mi1fUXgtdy15VjA/edit?pli=1#docId=0B4ERZw5oOFq1ZnU4SVY1TV8zTE0

Hope this helps.:)

If you decide you want to eat some time other than a reservation you made, there are kiosks all over the ship (and I think the information is available on your interactive TV?) that tells you how full/busy the various places to eat are. So you could choose accordingly.

I've never been able to get into the My time Dining. I like having the same table and the same waiter each night. I know people say you can do that with My Time Dining but then why bother with it you know? I take early seating each cruise!! Eating later makes it harder to sleep at night!:)

Archived