any medical coverage

misssixty387

Hello, my name is Alexandra Levin. I found your website that has travel cruises I am interested in leaving asap least for weekend up to a week max. I am into traveling and never been to cruises before. I'm going to school soon in June but sometime in May I'd like to leave.I have a small disability and I'd like to know if I pay half or my insurance can pay half or in full? Please email me back for more info and hopefully asap. Do you take medicare? medicaid? horizon? please email me what insurance you take for me to go relax. I feel I need to go my own way to be away from everyone around me. Thank you for your time. sincerely yours, Alex

Hello, my name is Alexandra Levin. I found your website that has travel cruises I am interested in leaving asap least for weekend up to a week max. I am into traveling and never been to cruises before. I'm going to school soon in June but sometime in May I'd like to leave.I have a small disability and I'd like to know if I pay half or my insurance can pay half or in full? Please email me back for more info and hopefully asap. Do you take medicare? medicaid? horizon? please email me what insurance you take for me to go relax. I feel I need to go my own way to be away from everyone around me. Thank you for your time. sincerely yours, Alex

Cruiselines do not accept any type of insurance. Medicare usually covers inside the US. The same with welfare. If you have pre-existing medical conditions, you should purchase travel insurance within (usually) 14 days of first booking a cruise.

Search through insuremytrip or squaremouth to see different plans.

Medical insurance does not pay you to cruise.

If you have a disability -- this is considered a previous known condition and you will have to check various policies to see if this condition is covered should something happen while you are on the cruise.

If you do have to use the infirmery on the ship -- the cost of the doctor and /or medications you may be given will be charged to your shipboard account. Get a detailed bill and submit it to your insurance company when you get home.

Medicare covers nothing out of the states. That is why we also have Security Blue.

Since you have never cruised before, it would be a very good idea to talk to a local travel agent. That way you can have a face to face conversation with a "real" person about all your questions. A good travel agent can give you ideas and prices for one person.

I agree that you need to talk with a travel agent (generally this conversation is free) about cruising, before you leap into this. I am a disabled person. No insurance will pay for you to cruise. And if you're seen those activities like "cruise for a cure", or special-needs cruising -- the people going on them, disabled or otherwise, are paying their own fare, and in most cases paying a premium for special attention and services!

Any health insurance you already have -- medicare, medicaid, horizon, other -- generally won't cover you for any medical needs outside of the US (and sometimes not outside of their area). You have to buy something called pre-existing coverage from a health insurance company at the time you book your cruise in order to be covered for your disabling condition. And again, this premium means you'll pay more for the same sort of coverage that someone without a pre-existing condition pays.

In addition, if you're wanting to cruise by yourself, you need to know that you would have to pay for a second person in your cabin, whether someone actually goes with you or not. Prices quoted are for one person/double occupancy, meaning at least 2 people in a cabin (and no, they won't find you a roommate!) There are only a very few lines that have cabins designed for one person, and only a few such cabins on any ship. None of them are set up to accommodate any special needs.

Welcome.

First, an internet safety tip -- Don't give out your full name. Screennames are fine.

Second, as others have explained your medical insurance doesn't cover treatment on board or in other countries. Check out a website called www.insuremytrip.com where you can purchase travel insurance that will include medical coverage. Hopefully you won't need it. Be aware, that if you have pre-existing conditions you must purchase the travel insurance at almost the same time you purchase your cruise in order to be covered for those risks.

Cruise lengths vary. Several lines have 3 day cruises usually out of Miami. They leave Friday & come back Monday. The 4 day trips leave Monday & come back Friday. Shorter trips attract a crowd that wants to party. If you are not OK with that, pick a longer cruise.

It's a good idea to travel to your port of departure the day before your ship leaves.

Also understand that pricing. When you see a price, that is for one person based on double occupany so if you are traveling alone, you will pay 2x the price shown. For example, my 1st short cruise was $236 pp If I had stayed in that cabin alone, I would have paid $472.

Finally, if you want to sail in May, you better hurry up & book. You are very late. Many people book cruises 1 year in advance but last minute trips are possible.

American express has coverage that will allow you to cover a pre-existing condition as long as you have had medical coverage continuously in force for 60 days prior to your buying their coverage no matter when purchased. That prior medical coverage must meet the definition of creditable coverage under US laws(Cobra). I do not know if the coverage you list meets that definition.

As for someone else paying for the trip...

good luck Alex! and welcome to cruise critic.

American express has coverage that will allow you to cover a pre-existing condition as long as you have had medical coverage continuously in force for 60 days prior to your buying their coverage no matter when purchased. That prior medical coverage must meet the definition of creditable coverage under US laws(Cobra). I do not know if the coverage you list meets that definition.

As for someone else paying for the trip...

good luck Alex! and welcome to cruise critic.

This is true of only some of their plans for residents of several states. Be sure to check carefully if this applies to you.

You will pay the doctor on the ship, get the paperwork from him, and mail to your insurance company.

Call your insurance - if you have worldwide coverage, you will get your money back. If not, you will have to buy travel insurance.

Archived