Need advice...single cruise, please

newtocruising1975

Hello...I am going on my first cruise March 17th on Carnival Freedom. I was looking to book it but noticed that there's a single cruise group on the same boat. The single group is $500 more and no matter what I'd still get my own room. Here's my question...I'm a 37yo male do I book with the group or just book on the boat? I am an athletic personable guy just looking to get away.

Thank you

Do you somehow think that if you book on your own without paying the additional $500 that the singles group is paying, that you won't be able to associate with any of the single group?

I travel as a solo and don't really care who else is on the ship.

I always meet lots of interesting people to talk with and enjoy shore excursions with and don't need to "belong" to a group on the ship.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

I guess it depends what additional entertainment or whatever you get by being part of the group, whether it is worth paying an additional $500 to be part of it or not. It is possible that this group will have things laid on for just this group that other passengers will not be permitted to participate in if they are not part of the group.

I've done many solo cruises and never booked as part of a group and had no problems interacting with other passengers when I wanted to.

If you're not part of the group you won't be allowed into their special activities. Mostly it will be a cocktail party or two, and maybe a special lunch. They will also have the group dine together in a certain part of the dining room for dinner. Most of those single group cruises also have group tours that are for the group only.

First, are you aware of the singles supplement on almost any cruise you book by yourself? A $500 cruise rate for one becomes $750-1000. Hosted singles group cruises are good for those a bit timid to cruise single. They have 2 rates; cruising with a cabinmate or by yourself. The hour cocktail parties and games are not worth the extra tab. Cruise excursions will cost additionally. There will be from 40/50 to several hundred singles on these. You sound like a self starter to me. The $500 you can save will pay for almost any other CCL 7N Caribbean cruise(not including any SS of course). If you book on your own ask for a large singles only table when you book.

Hello...I am going on my first cruise March 17th on Carnival Freedom. I was looking to book it but noticed that there's a single cruise group on the same boat. The single group is $500 more and no matter what I'd still get my own room. Here's my question...I'm a 37yo male do I book with the group or just book on the boat? I am an athletic personable guy just looking to get away.

Thank you

Did you research the NCL Epic out of Miami? I'm also new and started this endeavor about 3 weeks ago. I looked at some of the singles vacation companies and somehow stumbled onto an Epic link and booked for 3/16. Basically in 2010 on their new ship EPIC, NCL designated 128 studio cabins for solo travelers at a reduced price ($799 today for 3/16 but may start to come down). I counted about 70% booked a few days ago. They're small at 100sf but serve the purpose. The area also has it's own lounge for socializing and a meeting place for going to dinners and other activities. If it's not too late. check it out!

BTW, it's a day earlier and going Eastern Caribbean while yours goes West if that matters to you. I can't tell you what kind of experience each of these ships will provide. Is Carnival known for a more partier atmosphere?! Plus I don't know how college spring break plays into all of this.

Thank you for your time in replying to me. I already had decided on the boat so it was more of a question of booking solo on the boat or with the singles group for $500 more. This is my fist cruise but not my first vacation solo. I decided to just book through the cruise ship solo and it ended up being a better room choice and still $500 cheaper with insurance. I'm excited to go and can't wait to experience my 1st.

I booked a Carnival cruise a LONG time ago..and they matched me with another girl. I had a fabulous time. She was part of a singles group and I went on many of their tours. (sort of by association). I'm guessing these days, if you palled around with someone in the group and they had available space on a tour you might be able to go.

Of course. I am outgoing...and won a dance contest with a person/partner I just met on the first day. He too was part of the singles group.

You can sign up for a roll call for your specific ship & sailing date and... do private tours with your shipmates, go to the meet and mingle party and have a blast. My last cruise there were EIGHTY of us (from cruise critic/social site) ..and many still chat today.

Have fun. And monitor your shipboard account.:eek:...

I've cruised solo . I like having my own space. I do find with a balcony room I tend to be alone more..but I am ok with that.

I book a bigger balcony and invite new shipmates to share!

I have a long story but let me give you the very short version. I am a single dad and when my son was younger he would cruise with me. Well he is a man now and has his own life (good for him) I started cruising along about 5 years ago. On one occasion a couple of years I invited a friend because I knew he had not cruised and could not afford to do so. It was a nightmare experience...

I will never do that again. Sure I would cruise with friends and family but they MUST have their own cabin...

Regardless what you decide make sure you have the best time for you!

I'm also going on my 1st sole cruise on the Epic March 16th. I have been on a few other cruises. Last cruise was a 8 day cruise on Carnival with a friend I literally would only see at dinner time and for 2 of the excursions. This made me feel comfortable booking a solo cruise. I found on that cruise wherever I went people always seemed to want to talk. People really get in a relaxed care free mood on the cruise it seems.

My cabin mate is teetering on not going so I may end up cruising solo... like I had originally planned. Not a big deal for me, I am stoked at the idea of having no one to entertain but myself. Not stoked at all the plans we made that may not pan out, lol.

I'm on the same cruise...contact me prior. I have zero plans at all and would love to have one person. We'll get that margarita you want to get. What do you think?

Sorry with the forum mix up. Really am new to this.

I am on this cruise and a part of the group that you are asking about. Here is what you would get for the $500 extra:

An invite to the pre-cruise party teh day before. Excurisions with the group. Dining with the group. Mixers which include:

St. Patrick's Day Cocktail Party!

We embark our ship on St. Patrick's Day, let's get into the spirit with good Irish cheer! Wear your green and support the Irish fun at our first cocktail party, what a great way to start a cruise!

Two Formal Nights

Dress to impress! Recommended attire for women is a cocktail dress, formal gown or pant suit. For men we suggest a suit, sport jacket or tuxedo – every man looks great in a tux!

Pub Crawl & Ship's Tour

We will visit four different bars on the ship. You can order a drink at each bar or enjoy just making new friends while touring the ship. Either way, it's a great way to start your cruise. (Drinks are not complimentary)

Mardi Gras Party!

Purple, green and gold are the colors of this masked affair! We'll bring the beads, you bring the fun!

The "S" Party!

Use your imagination and dress up as anything that starts with the letter "S!" You could be a sailor, a super hero, a star, you could be anything you want!

Those events are reserved only for the group. I can also say that it looks like the group is on track to have 100 people in the group.

I know a good number of the group is planning on going on the Bar Crawl excursion at Key West so you always have the option of socializing with the group in our cabins and at the clubs. If you want to sit with the group or attend the events you have to pay the supplement.

If you have any questions shoot me a messgae. I will be travling with the competing group singles cruise in October and will be writing some kind of comparison of the two when I return from that one.

Maybe I'll see you on the ship!

I've been cruising as a single 30 yrs., took my 1st cruise on NCL in 1982, I was 35! I have cruised with friends on occasion but if I want to go and no one else does, I go myself. Cruising is perfect for solo traveling (other than the pricing)! I have places I still want to see and longer cruises, that are far away don't interest everyone.

Archived