Camera carrying case

lhall85917

I'm looking for suggestions on what you use for camera cases during excursions and for travel. We have a Canon Rebel with an extra lens. The case it came with becomes heavy and bulky. When we are flying we are putting it into a larger bag with the netbook, travel documents, sweaters, snacks, etc. and it is really cumbersome! During excursions it just seems like quite a bit to haul around.

We are thinking a backpack might be the way to go but aren't sure. If you have suggestions, links to what you use or thoughts I'd love to hear them.

On excursions, I use a LowePro Slingshot 200. Not too big or small and is very easy to access. I carry a Sony A700 with battery grip, a 70-200 zoom and a flash. Plenty of room for snacks and maybe a rain poncho or light windbreaker.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-200-AW,2035,4.htm

Dave

On excursions, I use a LowePro Slingshot 200. Not too big or small and is very easy to access. I carry a Sony A700 with battery grip, a 70-200 zoom and a flash. Plenty of room for snacks and maybe a rain poncho or light windbreaker.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-200-AW,2035,4.htm

Dave

Dave, can you tote the Slingshot in addition to a carry-on bag on an airline?

I assume that you are looking for a case that you can use when you are out and about, not when you are getting there. I have the same problem that you have. I have been thinking about getting a photo vest and restricting myself to whatever can fit in the pockets of the vest.

Any thoughts about this idea would be appreciated.

DON

Dave, can you tote the Slingshot in addition to a carry-on bag on an airline?

Yes. I carry a regular camera bag (Tamrac Adventure 7 or LowePro FastPack 350 if I take a laptop) and the slingshot. After we get to the ship, I re-distribute and load the slingshot for excursions with only what I think i need for the day.

Keep in mind that if you fly to a destination that isn't domestic, you can carry two bags on leaving but only a single carry-on when returning to the US from a foreign location. (Thanks, Crotch Bomber!)

Dave

I travel quite often, and being a professional photographer, I find that using my tamrac backpack holds all of my equipment including two canon bodies, three lenses including a 70-200mm 2.8 lens, and everything I need. You might also invest in a photographers vest which allows you to carry your camera, and has a multitude of pockets for everything else. Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to contact me for any more questions.

Bill

I'm looking for suggestions on what you use for camera cases during excursions and for travel. We have a Canon Rebel with an extra lens. The case it came with becomes heavy and bulky. When we are flying we are putting it into a larger bag with the netbook, travel documents, sweaters, snacks, etc. and it is really cumbersome! During excursions it just seems like quite a bit to haul around.

We are thinking a backpack might be the way to go but aren't sure. If you have suggestions, links to what you use or thoughts I'd love to hear them.

U might want to look at Kata and Think tank they both offer very good bags that are a little different and unique in features from the more mainstream Lowepro and Tamrac lines.

http://www.kata-bags.com/index.asp?UP1=OK

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I have a Lowepro camera bag that just fits my Nikon DSLR, 2nd lense and a couple of accessories. When we travel, I carry my camera bag in a backpack so that it isn't obvious that there is an expensive camera in it. There is still room for a couple of other things like an umbrella, guide book, snacks etc. If I decide not to take the bigger camera, then I can still use the back pack for extra excursion neccessities. The other thing that I do, is I put my camera bag in a plastic bag when it is in my back pack incase I get caught in a torrential downpour. It's another layer of protection for my camera.

N.

For lugging my equipment on airplanes or to ship etc. I've always used my Lowepro. Most of the bags designed for cameras are indeed nice with padding and reconfigurable pads. For out and about with limited gear I'd suggest a very nodiscript knapsack or bag.

For discrete carrying in port, city I've generally used a non discript and worn but well built Hartmann bag. Fits two bodies, flash even room for my 70-200 2.8 attached to body and a second DSLR camera. Nothing screams valuable camera inside than a bag with a Lowepro, Tamarac logo on it ;)

I've heard the safest thing to store your gear in locked car, cabin, or hotel is a pampers diaper baby bag. Haven't heard of opportunistic theifs looking to steal baby formula or diapers :D

For lugging my equipment on airplanes or to ship etc. I've always used my Lowepro. Most of the bags designed for cameras are indeed nice with padding and reconfigurable pads. For out and about with limited gear I'd suggest a very nodiscript knapsack or bag.

For discrete carrying in port, city I've generally used a non discript and worn but well built Hartmann bag. Fits two bodies, flash even room for my 70-200 2.8 attached to body and a second DSLR camera. Nothing screams valuable camera inside than a bag with a Lowepro, Tamarac logo on it ;)

I've heard the safest thing to store your gear in locked car, cabin, or hotel is a pampers diaper baby bag. Haven't heard of opportunistic theifs looking to steal baby formula or diapers :D

I know someone who does that. To make it more realistic, he puts several stained clean diapers on the top of the bag.

So far, it works.

DON

I'm a Kata backpacker myself...I sort of use a system like Dave. I carry all of my gear in a master backpack, the Kata R102...it fits all of my camera gear in one heavy but portable package (2 camera bodies, 5 lenses, flash unit, cleaning gear, cables, batteries, chargers, filters, tripod, shutter release cable, rain cover, all my ultra-compact camera accessories and bits, plus passport, spare watch, and other little travel carry-on type things). Then when I get to my destination, I have two empty bags I bring along in my luggage - a Tenba shoulder bag that can handle a body and 3 lenses, and a small Tamrac bag that can only fit the body with one lens attached. I decide what I need to bring with me, and take the appropriate bag for the number of lenses and accessories I think I'll need. BTW, the R103 bag is the same as the R102, but includes extra space for a laptop too.

I know someone who does that. To make it more realistic, he puts several stained clean diapers on the top of the bag.

So far, it works.

DON

Do they also carry a baby so that they don't blow their cover? :D Nothing says I'm trying to hide something like carrying an inappropriate diaper bag. Come to think of it, I didn't carry a traditional diaper bag when my kids were babies and the back pack that I used as diaper bag is the one that I now carry my lowepro bag in. :D

N.

Archived