What to put on door?

No picture of it but last cruise we (meaning my SILs) decorated the heck out of my parents' door for their 60th anniversary. Ribbons, signs and photos (embarrasing photos of my to brothers and I in high school with long hair and funny clothes :eek:) and M&D's wedding photos. Coming back from other areas of ship we often noted people checking the door out.

Of course one popular door item is the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle door sign. We usually go with just that. This time maybe a blowup of our Roamin' Mariners Miami to Rome logo below.

Last cruise the more wicked of the two SILs put a picture from a magazine of George Clooney on our door. Took ne awhile to figure it was her that did it. SO each day I used a permanent marker pen to add... mustache (big swirlly tipped pirate type), ear ring, eye patch, gotee. So by the end of the cruise he was quite the pirate. I could hear people laughing in the hall as they commented on it. Last sea day he disappeared and I found him taped (by crazy SIL) to a pool chair.

All sort of crazy things show up on doors.

My cousins and I go on a group cruise every year. I order customized car magnets from vistaprint.com to put on our doors. I usually put ship, date, our names and some kind of picture on them. The small ones work perfect, they're about the size of a sheet of paper and cost minimal to make.

Last year we also bought small styrofoam rings and glued magnets to the back of those. Then we had a competition to see who could fill their ring the most in a week with the drink umbrellas. That was alot of fun!

I can definetly see why decorating or marking your door would be very helpful. You don't have to remember your cabin number. Just look for you sign.

I know on our last cruise we were lucky enough to have framed artwork right next to our door and I used that as my landmark.

This is huge on DCL and I still do it on all of the other cruiselines I sail on as well. :) I am thinking of printing the cruise critic one this time since I am participating and creating my own for our anniversary. But, no one but three other people we see ours as our cabin is so far forward this time on the ship. Oh well, it's fun to do and definitly makes it easier to find your cabin onboard. :)

My cousins and I go on a group cruise every year. I order customized car magnets from vistaprint.com to put on our doors. I usually put ship, date, our names and some kind of picture on them. The small ones work perfect, they're about the size of a sheet of paper and cost minimal to make.

You can also purchase these sheet magnets at the large craft stores. They work great with any standard inkjet printer. With a little bit of powerpoint skills you can create your own customized magnets.

Don't be broken hearted if they disappear. I've begun carrying extras because no touching/taking other people's stuff seems to be one of those rules that some people don't think applies to them.

I along with my cohorts have plans to decorate the doors of all of our group members.

4 of us are Aunts and all from Kansas so we will be designating our two cabins as the AuNT Farm with critters crawling up and across the doors.

On of the couples will be celebrating a 50th Anniversary and another their 1st so their decorations will carry that theme.

Etc.

From last year's Enchantment cruise:

pirate-holbrook2.jpg

For my upcoming (3 days..heeheehee) Liberty TA:

holbrook30magnet.jpg

Wow! Those are neat! We never decorate, but I did put an Oasis wipe off message board up when I cruised with my kids so they coud leave me notes!

I can definetly see why decorating or marking your door would be very helpful. You don't have to remember your cabin number. Just look for you sign.

I know on our last cruise we were lucky enough to have framed artwork right next to our door and I used that as my landmark.

Last cruise with DH, I told him, I'd just use the pole as a landmark, one right by our cabin. DH pointed out there is one by every 4 th cabin:rolleyes: Another blonde moment, as he would say!

Doesn't all of this door decorating make the passageway start to resemble a college dorm hallway?

And other than the age and size of the pax; the buffet, pool games and Quest doesn't already resemble one?;)

I bought a package of summery cut-out decorations from Party City and affixed magnet tape to the back (I bought a roll of the tape from Michael's craft store). Then, I wrote our first names with a Sharpie on each piece.

For our New Year's cruise, I did the same - bought cut-outs of 2012 and used piece of the magnet tape to affix them to the doors.

KarinaGW...

Love you two pictures of the pirates...can you share where you got them from, or did you draw them yourself? They are excellent, would like to copy the one for our friends that we are cruising with, going to secretly decorate their door, they are celebrating their 40th anniversary. Thanks for you help...enjoy your cruise!

Never really understood why anyone would want to decorate the door. Really don't like anything that draws attention to myself nor could possibly identify who is staying it the cabin. Never seen it done in hotels so why do it on cruise ship ? :confused:

Never really understood why anyone would want to decorate the door. Really don't like anything that draws attention to myself nor could possibly identify who is staying it the cabin. Never seen it done in hotels so why do it on cruise ship ? :confused:

It makes it really easy to go right to your door on those loooong hallways ;)

It makes it really easy to go right to your door on those loooong hallways ;)

I,for one, never have gone right past my door.................funny thing,those numbers on it sure help;)

Because it is festive and fun!

KarinaGW...

Love you two pictures of the pirates...can you share where you got them from, or did you draw them yourself? They are excellent, would like to copy the one for our friends that we are cruising with, going to secretly decorate their door, they are celebrating their 40th anniversary. Thanks for you help...enjoy your cruise!

We designed them, but we had them commissioned from a friend who is an artist. Officially, I probably shouldn't. But, what I don't know doesn't hurt me.

Archived