Cell Phone app for free texting?

langleyfld

Does anyone know of an "app" for free international texting or sending photos by texting?

We are cruising to Italy, Greece and Turkey in a few weeks.

I want to stay in touch back home by way of my cell phone, but I don't want to own Verizon by the time I get back, lol!

Help!!

Remember that any "app" needs connectivity, and that comes in three flavors. You either have wifi, provided by a server facility (such as a ship, hotel, restaurant etc), cellular service (provided by a telcom or by some cruiselines) and satellite service (not either of the above, but pure satcom ie Iridium.)

The first requirement is that you have some connection. Are you planning on using wifi or cellular? Or hadn't we gotten that far.

Remember, without either of those connections, your phone is as if it were in airplane mode - cut off from the world.

Flyer talk is correct, your app will need connectivity of some sort. Whether it is a satellite connection Wi-Fi at some place in Port or International roaming. The problem with that is ithe costs can add up quickly, Most of the apps you could use like WhatsApp require a data connection to send messages back-and-forth. If you have an iPhone or if your friends have iPad, you can message back-and-forth on Apple's iMessage service which will work over Wi-Fi provided you have cellular data turned off on your iPhone or iPad. This is also free when you're out of the country because it is not like text messaging. Note: I Messages have blue bubbles, whereas SMS messages have green bubbles which indicate that you are not messaging an iPhone or an iPad or a Mac.

What's app is free and quite popular many people do have it on their phones already but as mentioned before just like iMessage requires a data connection.

Textplus+ is another. Kik as well. Google chat and Skype as well.

Edited by tbonecopper

• 2 weeks later...

Textfree app is food for texting and sending pictures. The Viber app is great for calling - as long as who you are calling also has Viber - there is a little bit of a delay and you can't talk at the same time or it cuts the other out but as long as you both have wifi its great!

Textfree app is food for texting and sending pictures. The Viber app is great for calling - as long as who you are calling also has Viber - there is a little bit of a delay and you can't talk at the same time or it cuts the other out but as long as you both have wifi its great!

Sorry, bad information. WiFi is simply wireless connection to some sort of Internet router. Like a wireless phone, it goes to the base, then on a wire to the regular phone system.

What people are actually asking about is free Internet access, or in the case of texting, free cellular phone service. Free Internet happens, like at hotels, or sometimes in cafes or restaurants, with the purchase of a drink or meal

Free cellular service for texting doesn't happen very often.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Free cellular service for texting doesn't happen very often.
I'm not aware of free cellular anywhere in the world. Wifi, yes. Cellular, nope.

BTW...anyone notice that in the last two weeks, the OP hasn't bothered to check back and clarify what they were thinking?

Dead thread now, IMO.

BTW...anyone notice that in the last two weeks, the OP hasn't bothered to check back and clarify what they were thinking?

On the contrary, the OP has been posting regularly on his roll call, last time checked into CC was 9pm last night. I'm sure he has been back to read the replies. EM

On the contrary, the OP has been posting regularly on his roll call, last time checked into CC was 9pm last night. I'm sure he has been back to read the replies. EM

And to help clarify his question here? Nope...another hit and run.

Hope he got the news that he won't find what I think he was expecting.

Do smartphone users still use email?

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. Used as a smart phone, you pay roaming data rates and ship's connectivity fees. Used as a mini-computer connected to the world via the ship's wifi, you pay for "Internet minutes".

I think most smartphone users find a free WiFi hotspot in port and then email via WiFi or text if the Telcom rates are reasonable.

Do smartphone users still use email?

Of course.

There are times when voice is appropriate, times when text is, and times when email is. I would find it hard to do in-depth discussion with text limitations.

And, sometimes actual paper snail-mail is appropriate.

And, since my phone can do either text or mail as appropriate, I'm well positioned.

Sorry I have not checked back with this posting. And yes, I have checked my roll call when I've had time.

I do and have appreciated the time and effort any one posting on here.

We have been dealing with some difficult medical decisions involving my 93 yr. Old mother in law. Last week having to put her in a nursing home and her health is failing. So with this trip coming up, we've struggled with whether we should cancel.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do appreciate them!

Sorry I have not checked back with this posting. And yes, I have checked my roll call when I've had time.

I do and have appreciated the time and effort any one posting on here.

We have been dealing with some difficult medical decisions involving my 93 yr. Old mother in law. Last week having to put her in a nursing home and her health is failing. So with this trip coming up, we've struggled with whether we should cancel.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do appreciate them!

The best to you and your family. I hope that your m-i-l is comfortable and that you are doing ok. Good luck with your family issues and your planning.