Auckland One Day only Before flight to Aussie

CCC's

Booked on 12 day Celebrity Solstice cruise disembarking Auckland on Saturday 16 November 2013 at approx. 8am. However, our flight home to Aussie is not until about 6.30pm that night. Any suggestions on what to do in Auckland during the day. Also, what do we do with our luggage as well. I look forward to your suggestions.

Booked on 12 day Celebrity Solstice cruise disembarking Auckland on Saturday 16 November 2013 at approx. 8am. However' date=' our flight home to Aussie is not until about 6.30pm that night. Any suggestions on what to do in Auckland during the day. Also, what do we do with our luggage as well. I look forward to your suggestions.[/quote']

Lots of places to see in Auckland (just got back from 5 days there before Christmas).

Perhaps you could consider hiring a car ...they are plentiful and cheap in NZ (albeit that many are the "rent a dent" variety)

With a car you would have somewhere to put your luggage, you would have freedom to go wherever and whenever you wanted, and if you get the right operator, you could even pick the car up at a city depot and return it to the airport. Have a look through Google and see what you can come up with, otherwise come back here and I (and I am sure others) will give you some clues.

Unlike those from USA/Europe, NZ drivers use the left hand side of road, so an Aussi should be fine.

cheers

Best recommendation is to take the Hop on Hop Off Bus. http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/

Also I think you can leave your luggage at the I-site which is located at the beginning of Princes Wharf where the Solstice will be docked. Last time I heard it was about $10 per piece. Someone may be able to give more up to date information.

Lots of places to see in Auckland (just got back from 5 days there before Christmas).

Perhaps you could consider hiring a car ...they are plentiful and cheap in NZ (albeit that many are the "rent a dent" variety)

With a car you would have somewhere to put your luggage, you would have freedom to go wherever and whenever you wanted, and if you get the right operator, you could even pick the car up at a city depot and return it to the airport. Have a look through Google and see what you can come up with, otherwise come back here and I (and I am sure others) will give you some clues.

Unlike those from USA/Europe, NZ drivers use the left hand side of road, so an Aussi should be fine.

cheers

Excellent idea. Never thought about hiring a car and the added bonus would be if we can leave it at the airport. Save shuttle/taxi fare from Auckland city. Will Google to check hire car companies. I am sure we could get a vehicle for the day and it will certainly give us much more freedom to explore Auckland and environs. And..... we have somewhere to put the luggage! Many thanks for your help.

Best recommendation is to take the Hop on Hop Off Bus. http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/

Also I think you can leave your luggage at the I-site which is located at the beginning of Princes Wharf where the Solstice will be docked. Last time I heard it was about $10 per piece. Someone may be able to give more up to date information.

Many thanks for your recommendation/s. Tossing up your suggestion and possibly hiring a car for the day and leaving it at the airport. Somewhere to leave the luggage and also not having extra cost of shuttle/taxi etc.

Thank you.

Excellent idea. Never thought about hiring a car and the added bonus would be if we can leave it at the airport. Save shuttle/taxi fare from Auckland city. Will Google to check hire car companies. I am sure we could get a vehicle for the day and it will certainly give us much more freedom to explore Auckland and environs. And..... we have somewhere to put the luggage! Many thanks for your help.

Enjoy looking around Google... plenty of options

I looked up my stuff from December....

Without discounts you can get Commodore from AVIS for 8 hours..pu Auk City return Auk Airport for NZ$122 = A$98

OR

Rent a dent: PU Auck City return Auk airport - 8 hours...

8 seat People mover (tarago style) NZ$130 = A$105

Medium Sedan/S/w NZ$ 75 = A$60

Naturally you will need to pay for petrol and any other extras (eg GPS etc) ... watch the insurance excess..and also check your travel insurance policy which should cover hire car damage costs.

Most of the city pu places are at Parnell or Nelson so that would require a short cab ride

At airport, obviously AVIS is more convenient, the el cheapos are a little further away...but they do offer a free shuttle to the terminal.

I have always found the Car Hire Coys in NZ very friendly and helpful...if you are comfortable doing your own thing this is the way I would recommend.

cheers

Hi Flipper133, Thanks for doing the research for me. I will now refine it and choose one which would suit us best. The Rent-A-Dent would be o.k. but definitely get a GPS. Can't read a street directory unless I turn it upside down etc. etc. It's a female thing. Also, our travel insurance fully covers the Excess on hire cars, so all good there.

Hope you have not been caught up in the recent flooding in Brisbane. We moved from Brisbane just after the "Big Flood" in 2011, so definitely feel for anyone experiencing losses/problems caused by flooding.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi CCC's, I hired a driver to take our friends and I around for the day and drop us off at the airport. I don't know if he can get six of us with luggage in his car. I can ask. What time does your plane leave? We don't leave until 7:15 P.M. that night. I can also see if his company has another driver. I had orginally contacted Jim Archer who was recommended on these threads but he was already booked that day. He gave me our drivers name but I don't know if he works alone or has a company. If you are interested, I can see if he can recommend someone.

Hi llund, We fly from Auckland on Emerites flight leaving at 6.40pm and there are two of us. I would be grateful if you could make enquiries regarding a driver etc. Many thanks.

We just got off the Solstice this past Monday. We had airport transfers included in our package because we booked airfare through Celebrity. These transfers were also available for sale on the ship for about $69 each. The shuttle took us to the Crowne Plaza in downtown Auckland. Our big luggage went directly to the airport after we put it out on the last night of the cruise. At the Crowne Plaza they had a large room where you could check your carry on baggage as well as water and cookies. At the appropriate time the shuttle took you to the airport where your luggage was waiting. The Crowne Plaza also gave you about 30 minutes of free Internet access. I thought this was well above what was expected and we we felt that we got a good feel for Auckland. Our flight was at 7:15 and our shuttle left at 4:15. It is about a half hour ride to the airport.

Many thanks for your recommendation/s. Tossing up your suggestion and possibly hiring a car for the day and leaving it at the airport. Somewhere to leave the luggage and also not having extra cost of shuttle/taxi etc.

Thank you.

Hi MargoK, I have checked out the Explorer Bus in Auckland and it looks great. Goes to all the best locations which would appeal to overseas tourists. It is sometimes nice to be driven everywhere rather than trying to find your way around. Also, don't have to worry about where to park etc. My problem now is ......... several options to choose from, and they all have their own excellent points !

And yes we can leave our luggage at the i-Site for a nominal cost. Plus, we can get the Air Shuttle Service to the International airport close by as well. It will cost about $18 per person which is quite reasonable compared to the cost of a taxi.

Thanks for your help.

I checked with our guide. He told me that he can take another couple and will get a trailer to put our luggage in. I have to go back and check the cost but I think it is around $140. I will let you know.

Hi llund, Thank you for going to such trouble, but we have decided to just go with the Hop-On Hop-Off Explorer Bus in Auckland which will allow us to see all the local sites etc. We will leave luggage at the i-Site during the day, collect it mid afternoon and catch the Air Shuttle Service to the International Airport. All these services are within a few minutes of the Princes Wharf which is very convenient.

Once again, many thanks and hopefully see you on the cruise in November.

Regards, Chris & Cliff

Archived