Coffee and other "Top things to buy" in Cozumel

Severa

I have been trying to do alot of research of the top things to purchase in Cozumel that are typically expensive/higher quality over what is sold/offered here in the states.

So far, what I have come up with was

100% vanilla extract(without coumarin)

coffee

pottery

.925 silver and also gold

jewelry

tequilla and other alcohol

paper mache fruits and handmade crafts

wovens like guayaberas and huipils

hammocks and rugs

While all of these sound good, I was wanting to ask if someone knew of any other hard to find items here in the states that can be easily found in Cozumel. Something like Mon Cheri hazelnut candies perhaps? (no longer made for the US or imported)

Also, If I buy coffee beans, will I be able to bring them back to the states? I would think that they are considered part of agriculture and me be prohibited from bringing back.

Would love to find a coffee house in Cozumel that would allow us to sample before purchase, that is of course, if I could bring it back to the states.

Thanks!

I left Cozumel with 2 quarts of vanilla, 2 liters of Kahlua, 2 liters of Malibu rum, and 3 liters of Bacardi rum. The total cost for all of the above was $88!

The only thing I don't see on your list which many people buy in Mexico is prescription drugs.

Go to the store Los cinco soles...they have a lot of beautiful things. Go to the one on the north end of ave melgar as it's pretty large and has a great selection.

Yep! I am definately going there. I contacted the Los Cinco Soles store in the city months ago to get directions and to inquire about certain things. We will start the day off here and then hit Wet Wendy's for brunch.

Unfortunately, in regards to coffee, I do not know where else to buy it "Locally grown". We are in Cozumel one day, Belize the next, then Roatan and finally Grande Caymans. Does anyone know the best place to buy a really good brand of coffee with the ports mentioned?

Thanks all! :)

I left Cozumel with 2 quarts of vanilla, 2 liters of Kahlua, 2 liters of Malibu rum, and 3 liters of Bacardi rum. The total cost for all of the above was $88!

The only thing I don't see on your list which many people buy in Mexico is prescription drugs.

Were you flying home from your cruise? The weight of all those bottles in checked luggage would surely approach 'overweight'. :eek:

Yep! I am definately going there. I contacted the Los Cinco Soles store in the city months ago to get directions and to inquire about certain things. We will start the day off here and then hit Wet Wendy's for brunch.

Unfortunately, in regards to coffee, I do not know where else to buy it "Locally grown". We are in Cozumel one day, Belize the next, then Roatan and finally Grande Caymans. Does anyone know the best place to buy a really good brand of coffee with the ports mentioned?

You will love cinco soles! Hard to go wrong there. I can't wait to go back myself. :)

As far as coffee is concerned, I would think that Roatan is the best place out of the ports you mentioned, although I don't know that for sure since I haven't been there yet.

You may also wish to keep an eye out for wood carvings and black coral. Both are a bit harder to find (not every shop will carry). I was able to buy a nice iron wood carving a few years back.

The black coral, you need to do your homework to tell the real from the fake! The real is harvested by the indigenous people the old fashion way. This way it isn't over harvested.

This time of year you can also find nice hand crafted Christmas tree decorations.

As to the coffee, I travel the world and bring back coffee all the time. Roasted is legal, green beans aren't. However there isn't a coffee in Cozumel that is worth the weight in your bag, if you know your coffees. About the best you can do is keep an eye out for duty free coffee like Blue Mountain from Jamaica or Britt from Costa Rica. Britt isn't the best from CR, but about the only one you can easily find outside of the country.

Cino Soles - While not the cheapest, but it's the perfect place for one stop shopping or do a quick walk around to see what is around and get a good idea of the price before dealing with the streets.

You're sailing on Carnival so Los Cincos Soles has an outlet right at the Puerta Maya pier. No need to venture downtown. But for coffee, you will have to venture downtown. Most of the restaurants and grocery stores (Mega and Chedurai) sell "Cafe Caribe" which is a commercial roast along the lines of 8 O'clock coffee here. However, just north of the plaza on Callle 2 between Avenida 5 and Avenida 10, is a small kiosk/shop called Caffe Chiapas. It is a micro roaster and sells beans from the Chiapas area of Mexico, which is close to the Guatemalan border. The son speaks good English and can help you.

Again, being on Carnival, you'll be docking at Mahogany Bay and in the shopping area up near the entrance portico is a kiosk that sells Honduran coffee in whole beans. But you can find lower prices and more selection in one of the local groceries in French Harbor or Coxen Hole. If you're on an excursion through Victor Bodden or one of the other independents, they'll stop at one for you.

You ban get Blue Mountain in Grand Cayman, just may have to look around. In my opinion, it is the best! Be aware though, it is VERY pricey. Still worth it to me, I always budget for it and bring back bunches!

With that said, I will be i Costa Rica soon and would love recommendations on their best coffee to try.

You may also wish to keep an eye out for wood carvings and black coral. Both are a bit harder to find (not every shop will carry). I was able to buy a nice iron wood carving a few years back.

The black coral, you need to do your homework to tell the real from the fake! The real is harvested by the indigenous people the old fashion way. This way it isn't over harvested.

It is illegal to bring Black Coral into Canada. just saying. Dont know where everyone is from of course.

You ban get Blue Mountain in Grand Cayman, just may have to look around. In my opinion, it is the best! Be aware though, it is VERY pricey. Still worth it to me, I always budget for it and bring back bunches!

With that said, I will be i Costa Rica soon and would love recommendations on their best coffee to try.

I came back from our Panama Canal cruise overweight with coffee:o

In Costa Rica I got Doka Estate and I also got some fabulous coffee in the Monteverde Cloud Forest. It was also Fair Trade Coffee.

RockBock, Do you happen to remember how much the vanilla costs on it's own?

Thanks!

Joannn (aka Hunzi)

• 1 month later...

One can buy Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee at Costco.

Nancy

We are members there and have never seen 100% BMC. They have a knockoff thats a blend, south american with a touch of BMC. Do you have a link and price for that? Maybe its a new product and not in our store. Thanks

Anyone remember the actual price ?

Went to link posted but didn't see any prices. Probably get the

250 ml or 500 ml size.

Thanks.

I got some 100 % pure blue mountain coffee at Costco North Miami Beach. There was also the blend. The pure was $15.99 for a 1lb bag.

Archived