Silver Galapagos Questions Please

Mylisa

Hi all.

My family is going on the Silver Galapagos in February and I have some questions please:

1. What type of power outlets are on board, do I need an adapter. I'm from the U.S. How many outlets are there. Do I need to bring extra outlets?

2. I get motion sickness so how much movement does this ship experience. I need to know if I need to start my motion sickness pills right away.

3. What is the best footwear to buy to bring for the wet landings and for walking on the hard lava? Specific brands and where to buy them would be appreciated

4. In February do you think it's necessary to wear a wetsuit?

5. Do you need to wear anything special under the wetsuit?

6. Should we bring our own snorkel gear?

7. Are there any type of bathroom facilities on the islands portable or otherwise

8. Any other specific recommendations, advice or comments would greatly be appreciated

Thank you for all of your help.

1. eLeCtriCaL aPPLiaNCeS

Silver Galapagos has 110 aC power . Most modern electronic devices support dual voltages, but if you are uncertain, please verify your equipment prior to plugging it in . the electrical receptacles on the ship accept plugs of a type known as North american non-grounded or type a .

the receptacle is as shown:

in particular, please be advised that devices

such as generators, lamps, electric motors,

electric shavers, hair dryers, clocks and some

video equipment may be incompatible with the 1100v/609

Hz power . a hair dryer is provided in each suite/stateroom . if you wish to bring along other equipment, you should verify if a voltage transformer or other conversion device is necessary .

Copied from Silversea setting sail guide. As I remember there were two double outlets on the dressing table. Also two by the bed.

2. You may have motion in the ship. You are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I took pills for the first couple of days but not after that. Depends on the conditions, obviously.

3. Merrill and Teva sandals are good. You can always use a towel provided by the crew to dry your feet to make sure you are comfortable. None of the walks are more than about two miles, even the one described as a 'hike'.

4. The wetsuits are provided in short and full length. The water temperature does not vary much and as you are not really swimming but rather floating to watch the wildlife, I would wear one.

5. A swimsuit and rash vest!

6. No need - the equipment provided on board is good and you will be given a string bag to keep yours in for the duration. The kit is all cleaned thoroughly between cruises and you can rinse the string bag and its contents after each use.

7. There are only bathroom facilities on the bigger islands with towns. E.g. Santa Cruz, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. Landings are usually only for an hour or two and zodiacs always available to take you to and from the ship.

8. Take lots of photos! Plenty of spare camera cards and spare batteries. A waterproof camera is great fun for underwater shots.

Lots of high factor sunscreen and a wide brimmed hat as you are on the equator and the air is very clean.

Have a wonderful trip. One of our favourite cruises. Ask away if you have any other questions. (We were on S. Galapagos this time last year for two weeks).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 57 varieties

The food was pretty good. We enjoyed meals on deck at lunchtime and in the evening more than the meals in the dining room which were less good. On deck they offered at lunch delicious ceviche and grilled lobster, pizzas and varied salads. In the evening they have hot rocks where you grill your own meat or fish at the table.

All provisions are sourced in Ecuador or at least South America so choice can be limited and is seasonal. That is a legal requirement.

You have two very lucky children. I am sure you will have a fabulous time.

Edited by 57 varieties

Hi Mylisa.

You will love Galapagos, I am pretty sure. We loved it. Just disembarked from the Eastern Itinerary.

1. If I remember correctly, 2 in the bathroom, 1 near the entrance door, 2 on the table (+2 if you disconnect the TV and readio alarm) + 2 near the bed.

2. We had wonderful weather so it was perfect. You are in the middle of the ocean, but Silver Galapagos generally moves only late at night or for a couple of hours just after lunch as all places are close to each other. We rarely even felt the movement.

Anyway better safe than sorry, bring your pills!

3. I agree on sandals. Even if walks are easy, be sure that sandals have a good grip, they should be "hiking" sandals.

I did a couple of walks in flip flops but it wasn't that nice even if I am fit and trained in hiking.

4. You want to wear a wetsuit at all times when snorkelling because you will spend up to a couple of hours in the water every day (and I can assure you that you will, snorkelling with sea lions and small sharks is amazing). We brought our own short sleeves wetsuites, but they are offered onboard both long and short sleeves.

I would say, bring them with you if you have, otherwise maybe it's not worth to buy. Onboard they will give also fins, mask and tube: maybe it's me but I preferred to bring my own tube and mask.

5. Swimsuit definetely as you may want to stop snorkelling and lay on the beach for some while, so you need to get "undressed". I brought a wet t-shirt but never used it: buy one if you don't like getting cold (it shouldn't happen but again better safe than sorry)

6. See 4 :)

7. Walks are generally short, and you will be back to the ship after every activity (you can have up to 3 things to do each day!). I would rather rely on that rather than toilets on islands. Said so, in bigger islands there are toilets and are generally clean.

8. Camera with good lenses: animals are really close but you have to respect the 2m distance (unless a sea lion or an iguana decide to block the path... :) ) so if you want to get close photos a medium range lens is required.

Waterproof camera.

Sunscreen.

Light long-sleeves hiking t-shirts and pants, especially if you have pale skin, you are on the equator, so it can be hot and sunny.

Clean your bags before flying to Galapagos. As soon as you get into Quito airport, the Galapagos queue for bags control will be on your right, I would recommend to clean up your bags from any food. Do your breakfast before! (We had to throw away a wonderful exotic fruit we were eager to taste...)

9. Food was pretty, but as 57 said, be ready for some Ecuadorian food: this is mainly due to the legal requirements, but it was a nice surprise nevertheless as you will experience a refined ecuadorian-inspired cuisine.

If you get tired of it, at dinner you have the Hot Rocks concept on the deck: if you are not a fan of grilling your own meat, you can also order it grilled by the chef. At lunchtime, I have never tried the dining room, in addition to what 57 said, deck restaurant offers pasta, ice-cream and some cakes too.

Enjoy and let us know how it was!

Edited by ItalianTrotter

ItalianTrotter, does the bag search mean that you can not take any food on board such as power bars or non dairy powdered creamer. Or is this just limited to fresh fruits?

What time do you leave the hotel to go to the airport for to fly to the ship?

How big is the plane and how many stops does it make before you get to the point where the zodiacs pick you up?

Packaged food should be OK but not fresh.

The departure from Quito is at about 7 am. The bus takes you to Quito airport and you fly in a plane with about 200 people (not all of whom are joining the cruise) to Guayaquil where others join but you do not disembark. On the ground for about 20 minutes. Then you fly onto Baltra in Galapagos. Another bus ride of about five minutes takes you to a small jetty from where you and your hand luggage travel by zodiac to the S Galapagos. The zodiac ride is another 5 minutes. Your luggage is brought separately also by zodiac.

You should reach the ship at 1pm, in time for lunch!

Edited by 57 varieties

57varieties do you do an excursion that first day or is it more or less a sea day?

Did you buy specific hiking shoes or wet landing shoes? My DH thinks he can get by with his running shoes. Is that correct from your experience?

Thanks for your help.

No excursion on the first day but a briefing and choosing your wetsuit, fins and mask.

The ship usually repositions late evening/overnight and doesn't have to travel far between islands.

As for shoes, some of the wet landings are on sand so bare feet are fine but some on lava rock which isn't so good without shoes. The sandals don't need to be expensive and you can always change into running shoes on land before the walk. The crew provide towels.

Edited by 57 varieties

No excursion on the first day but a briefing and choosing your wetsuit, fins and mask.

The ship usually repositions late evening/overnight and doesn't have to travel far between islands.

As for shoes, some of the wet landings are on sand so bare feet are fine but some on lava rock which isn't so good without shoes. The sandals don't need to be expensive and you can always change into running shoes on land before the walk. The crew provide towels.

So you don't think there is a need for hiking boots or shoes?