Ebola Virus

Why would you think that?

Because Sierra Leone requires a visa for USA citizens wishing to enter the country. They also want your passport to be valid for 6 months beyond your stay. They also require that your passport have at least one blank page available for the Sierra Leone Visa stamp.

She is not a nurse and she is not infected.

typo on "infected" as I meant "affected." As for the other error, big effing deal. I said nurse and she is a lab supervisor at the hospital.

According to an updated USA Today article dated 1:32 p.m. EDT October 17, 2014

"The Texas healthcare worker on board continues to show no symptoms of illness..."

She is not a nurse and she is not infected.

She is a lab technician and is perfectly healthy 19 days after having contact with the lab sample.

Please don't contribute to the media misinformation and frenzy.

Thank you for clearing that up Doctor. Yet, when the CDC directive changed and the person and Carnival were informed they were quarantined. If the person thought there were no reason to be worried they could have just stayed in their cabin without notifying anybody. Instead Carnival is all over the news. So it at least shows that there is reason for concern and someone got Carnival up to speed PDQ.

Because Sierra Leone requires a visa for USA citizens wishing to enter the country. They also want your passport to be valid for 6 months beyond your stay. They also require that your passport have at least one blank page available for the Sierra Leone Visa stamp.

What about the other affected countries? And the ones near them?

What about the other affected countries? And the ones near them?

If you think they have open borders and do not check the credentials for people entering and exiting I invite you to do your own research. I mentioned one, you challenged me and I backed it up. If you think another doesn't have similar requirements, you check it out. I suggest google.

If you think they have open borders and do not check the credentials for people entering and exiting I invite you to do your own research. I mentioned one, you challenged me and I backed it up. If you think another doesn't have similar requirements, you check it out. I suggest google.

I wasn't referring to open borders or checking people's credentials for entering and exiting. I was specifically asking about whether the other countries necessarily stamp passports. I was wondering if it was actually true that they do, or is it just your opinion.

Edited by time4u2go

Change the facts slightly.

Let's say that the health-care worker who “may have” handled lab specimens from Dallas Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan, actually did, and lets say half way through the cruise she began vomiting, but the ship was rocking due to waves/storm, etc., and let's assume she got off in Coz and spent some time at Carlos and Charlies and Senior Frogs and got back on the ship with an empty "yard of beer" in one hand and a sombrero in the other, wearing that silly balloon hat on her head. She is woozy, gets back on the ship and heads up for some food, but vomits all over the lido deck or in the eating area, or better yet, off the railing, spraying a decent portion of the balconies and anyone walking back to the ship (and the adjacent ship) below.

Someone adds two and two and figures out she might have been exposed to ebola. Now you have an entire ship (or possibly two ships) where there is a serious question about a whole bunch of folks exposed.

So, two ships, let's say each has 3,000 passengers, and let's assume both departed from USA ports. Will those 6,000 people be allowed in the USA or will they be given these expensive tests, after a few weeks in quarantine?

I raised this on the Carnival forum, but nobody seemed to want to comment.

I wasn't referring to open borders or checking people's credentials for entering and exiting. I was specifically asking about whether the other countries necessarily stamp passports. I was wondering if it was actually true that they do, or is it just your opinion.

On my trips outside of North America my passport has been stamped for every country I have visited. However each country will have it's own specific rules and process. It is generally the norm that it will be stamped.

What a sad and ignorant way to look at this. Do your research first, he was on connecting flights FROM LIBERIA and there would be ways to track that easily. Computers can do amazing things, you know????

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan-flew-united-airlines-to-dallas-texas/

But what the heck, why bother even trying to stop it from getting into the US, even though there might be ways to do so........:rolleyes:

How would that work exactly? Sure we can track who is coming from Liberia, but that only goes so far. He flies from Liberia to Belgium. How do we keep him from flying from Belgium to the US, short of banning all flights from Belgium? We have no authority to keep someone in Belgium from getting on a plane. We can deny his passport once he's here, but that doesn't stop him from hitting US soil or coming into contact with Americans.

Even if such a ban would do any good, and we don't know if it would, it would take a coordinated world wide flight ban, good luck with that.

I'm not saying we should just do nothing, but we should focus our efforts on things that have a realistic chance of helping, and are feasible to accomplish.

These one sentence solutions seem so obvious as long as you don't think them through for about 5 minutes. Everyone is an infectious disease and international crisis management expert all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

Change the facts slightly.

Let's say that the health-care worker who “may have” handled lab specimens from Dallas Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan, actually did, and lets say half way through the cruise she began vomiting, but the ship was rocking due to waves/storm, etc., and let's assume she got off in Coz and spent some time at Carlos and Charlies and Senior Frogs and got back on the ship with an empty "yard of beer" in one hand and a sombrero in the other, wearing that silly balloon hat on her head. She is woozy, gets back on the ship and heads up for some food, but vomits all over the lido deck or in the eating area, or better yet, off the railing, spraying a decent portion of the balconies and anyone walking back to the ship (and the adjacent ship) below.

Someone adds two and two and figures out she might have been exposed to ebola. Now you have an entire ship (or possibly two ships) where there is a serious question about a whole bunch of folks exposed.

So, two ships, let's say each has 3,000 passengers, and let's assume both departed from USA ports. Will those 6,000 people be allowed in the USA or will they be given these expensive tests, after a few weeks in quarantine?

I raised this on the Carnival forum, but nobody seemed to want to comment.

Absolutely to the above example. I do not want to possibly infect my children or grandchildren.

Did you read somewhere that she is perfectly healthy?

I hope she is. Btw.

I still want the blood test results

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You still don't seem to understand...an asymptomatic patient's blood test will test negative, no infection will show up. Blood tests for this virus will not measure anything until the patient shows symptoms.

So you are asking for false reassurances; which usually end up with infected people thinking they are not contagious. "But I took the blood test last week and it showed nothing, what do you mean my flu/cold/viral crud is something more serious? I tested negative"

And I suspect you have no interest in even trying to control what's coming into this country...............why even try, right?? Since we apparently can't track "everyone", why try at all..............?? Great plan. Oh and by the way, not eveyone is using your vast "3 million mile expertise" using "hidden cities" to "control costs"....... whatever.

In addition to at least SOME ability to track where people are coming from, there is the little issue of their passports stating their nationality that might help if they manage to get here. Belize and St. Lucia have figured out it might be a good idea to at least try to keep this desease out of the nations, but the USA hasn't.

But what do I know, after all you've flown 3MM miles.............:rolleyes:

Obviously a member of the "wide-eyed hysteria" crowd. There have been articles about "those types" in our local paper. :rolleyes: Hope you've cancelled all your cruises, any air travel you had planned - heck, be careful going to the grocery store for that matter...

How would that work exactly? Sure we can track who is coming from Liberia, but that only goes so far. He flies from Liberia to Belgium. How do we keep him from flying from Belgium to the US, short of banning all flights from Belgium? We have no authority to keep someone in Belgium from getting on a plane. We can deny his passport once he's here, but that doesn't stop him from hitting US soil or coming into contact with American :

I believe passenger lists are submitted to US authorities before takeoff, if they refuse a passenger the airline won't allow him/her to board.

Obviously a member of the "wide-eyed hysteria" crowd. There have been articles about "those types" in our local paper. :rolleyes: Hope you've cancelled all your cruises, any air travel you had planned - heck, be careful going to the grocery store for that matter...

This is not a very convincing debate tactic. snide insults don't make a point.

I believe passenger lists are submitted to US authorities before takeoff, if they refuse a passenger the airline won't allow him/her to board.

I believe that is correct, that is also how they handle the no fly lists among other things. While not perfect they do work.

Well you are obviously WRONG. How can that possibly be, someone with 3MM miles and all ("those types"??:D:rolleyes: ) I have three trips planned in the next 4 months that involve air travel and cruising and will not be cancelling any of them. I'm actually not personally worried about ebola AT ALL.

How would that work exactly? Sure we can track who is coming from Liberia, but that only goes so far. He flies from Liberia to Belgium. How do we keep him from flying from Belgium to the US, short of banning all flights from Belgium? We have no authority to keep someone in Belgium from getting on a plane. We can deny his passport once he's here, but that doesn't stop him from hitting US soil or coming into contact with Americans.

Even if such a ban would do any good, and we don't know if it would, it would take a coordinated world wide flight ban, good luck with that.

I'm not saying we should just do nothing, but we should focus our efforts on things that have a realistic chance of helping, and are feasible to accomplish.

These one sentence solutions seem so obvious as long as you don't think them through for about 5 minutes. Everyone is an infectious disease and international crisis management expert all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

Well stated, Bama... And yeah, amazing how many "experts" have suddenly emerged on this thread. :rolleyes:

This is not a very convincing debate tactic. snide insults don't make a point.

Hmm, I see you didn't lecture him on his earlier "not very convincing debate tactics", or did you somehow miss this?

What a sad and ignorant way to look at this.

He hasn't indicated himself to be capable of logical debate, so there's not much point in attempting it.

I hope the Lab Technician is not going to get that deal!!! See what she caused????

I think the facts are not so clear. I believe she was legally allowed to board the ship. I believe she did not lie any any questionnaire. I believe she may still be asymptomatic. Did she really cause anything? Wasn't it Carnival possibly over-reacting, after last year's fiasco of the poop cruise on the Triumph?

I believe the only reason this is a trending topic on all the media outlets is due to Carnival making press releases.

Edited by snorkelman

I saw an interview this morning which brought up a very good point about who has gotten sick so far. What was said, was that in the early symptoms, the risk of catching it are very, very small also. It takes a high concentration of the virus in the body for anyone to catch it during close contact. The odds of anyone who isn't caring for someone with Ebola catching it are almost zero. Even in the 4-5 African countries where it is spreading the number of infected individuals is very low compared to the overall population and those infected have had very close contact with very sick people.

The news camera man who got infected and flew back to the U.S. said he never came in contact. But he got it. Go figure, nature will find a way to survive.

Would you willingly sit next to someone in the beginning stages of ebola if they were sneezing?

I have two cruises booked in the next two months - St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Haiti, Key West, Grand Cayman. Sure hope they don't turn into a "cruise to no where!" That's a lot of "sea days!"

We have one in November... I guess if it turns into a "cruise to no where" it will be a lot easier to decide whether to buy the drink packages. :)