Saguenay

pizzalady1

I am looking for suggestions for Saguenay--we port in La Baie from 11am to 7pm. On TripAdvisor the suggestions were St-Félicien zoo and Val Jalbert. Does anyone have additional ideas?

Although I have done 2 Canada/New England cruises, I have never been to Saguenay (but it is the port I would include in my next Canada/New England cruise if I did one).

Here is a good site to give you ideas:

http://www.cruisesaintlawrence.com/EN/stopovers/passengers/Activities/6/Saguenay.aspx

I am looking for suggestions for Saguenay--we port in La Baie from 11am to 7pm. On TripAdvisor the suggestions were St-Félicien zoo and Val Jalbert. Does anyone have additional ideas?

Although I have done 2 Canada/New England cruises, I have never been to Saguenay (but it is the port I would include in my next Canada/New England cruise if I did one).

Here is a good site to give you ideas:

http://www.cruisesaintlawrence.com/EN/stopovers/passengers/Activities/6/Saguenay.aspx

You can also look at this free, no publicity, port guide written a fellow cruiser:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Saguenay-QC-12-02-2012.pdf

SORRY for the double posting....

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Thanks--I did pick up two websites that I had not previously known about. I would really like to take a Fjord cruise, but all that I have looked at start in the morning before we arrive. I have emailed a couple of cruise companies to determine if they do any adjustments in their schedule or add to the schedule for cruise ships. Seems to me that a lot of money is to be made off of 2000 people coming to town.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend recommended the musical that has over 100 actors presenting the area's history. We have to book with the ship because it is only put on for the cruise passengers in October. For us it is in the afternoon so we have the morning to take the public buses around or whatever we want. Sorry I don't remember what the show is called.

A friend recommended the musical that has over 100 actors presenting the area's history. We have to book with the ship because it is only put on for the cruise passengers in October. For us it is in the afternoon so we have the morning to take the public buses around or whatever we want. Sorry I don't remember what the show is called.

It is called La fabuleuse histoire d'un royaume. When I emailed them they were not sure there would be performances in Sept/Oct. But, if there are performances, it will only be open for cruise ship tours.

The website is http://www.fabuleuse.com

Have a great day in Saguenay. ( blueberry land by the way , yum ).

I had seen that tour and bookmarked it--it does look interesting. You are on the 9/12/14 sailing aren't you? I have been lurking at your roll call. Can you please report back on this tour when you get back? Thanks.

I had seen that tour and bookmarked it--it does look interesting. You are on the 9/12/14 sailing aren't you? I have been lurking at your roll call. Can you please report back on this tour when you get back? Thanks.

Yes I am. I will definitely do a cruise review and post it on the Canada board. Looks like I've got lots of time before your sailing.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

We are back and since I haven't had the time to do a full review yet, I thought I should at least let you know how things went.

The company actually filled two vehicles that day so our bus had a tour guide that did not normally do the English-speaking tours. English was definitely a challenge for him but we were able to figure it out. (The tour felt very Quebecois :D) He had a very good sense of humour and we had a many a good laugh. I can only imagine how much more he would have been able to share with us in his native tongue. We visited all the places outlined on the website and enjoyed all the stops.

I never had a chance to connect with anyone on the other bus, so I can't comment on their experience. I did, however, speak with others that stayed near the port, and they found there wasn't much to do.

As for pricing - it was similar to the ship tours offered, but I much prefer the smaller group over the large tour busses - for the same price.

Long story short - we were glad we took this tour.

Just got off a 2 week cruise with a WONDERFUL stop in Saguenay. We used fjordetmonde

http://www.fjordetmonde.ca/. The young (22 y.o.) guide was fabulous as was the driver (who happened to be the father of the 22 y.o.'s girlfriend. We had a great tour and all the women wanted to adopt the young man. It was my favorite port of call; friendly people, beautiful scenery. The van was a mini bus so we had an easier time getting on/off. 3/4 of the bus was cruise critic folks. I would HIGHLY recommend them for a tour.

Just got off a 2 week cruise with a WONDERFUL stop in Saguenay. We used fjordetmonde

http://www.fjordetmonde.ca/. The young (22 y.o.) guide was fabulous as was the driver (who happened to be the father of the 22 y.o.'s girlfriend. We had a great tour and all the women wanted to adopt the young man. It was my favorite port of call; friendly people, beautiful scenery. The van was a mini bus so we had an easier time getting on/off. 3/4 of the bus was cruise critic folks. I would HIGHLY recommend them for a tour.

This was the same group we used - glad to hear you had such a great experience. Hope that helps pizzalady with her planning :)

Thanks for the recommendations. You both signed up for this privately, not as a ship's excursion?

Yes. Privately. Just went on their website and found our ship & date. Their 'hut' is just outside the cruise entrance on the left as you exit.

• 2 months later...

We were on the Ruby Princess and took the excursion with http://www.fjordetmonde.ca/

It was great, the poeple there are very welcoming. The tour was great, the guide was not exactly bilingual but was very funny and we did get to understand. It was the best excursion of the whole cruise.

The port of Saguenay is very welcoming, it apparently won the award of most welcoming port of call in the world in 2013. When you get off the ship you are welcomed by number of poeple dressed in traditional clothing and handing out free blueberry and maple syrup candies. When the ship leaves port, it is amazing the number of poeple in the park along shore waiving us goodbye.

I was told that next year this outfit would have a fluently English speaking guide. By the it is the same company as http://www.fjordenligne.com/english/

Happy New Years to all

Mary

I forgot to mention, they only have one 25 passenger bus and the morning of the tour there was 6 or 8 extra passengers that wanted to purchase the tour and unfortunatly did not get on. There is a limited number of available excursions and a lot of poeple end up taking the Hop on Hop off bus system which is Ok I guess but doesn't take you to some of the beautiful villages and sights out of town

Mary

We were on the Ruby Princess and took the excursion with http://www.fjordetmonde.ca/

It was great, the poeple there are very welcoming. The tour was great, the guide was not exactly bilingual but was very funny and we did get to understand. It was the best excursion of the whole cruise.

The port of Saguenay is very welcoming, it apparently won the award of most welcoming port of call in the world in 2013. When you get off the ship you are welcomed by number of poeple dressed in traditional clothing and handing out free blueberry and maple syrup candies. When the ship leaves port, it is amazing the number of poeple in the park along shore waiving us goodbye.

I was told that next year this outfit would have a fluently English speaking guide. By the it is the same company as http://www.fjordenligne.com/english/

Happy New Years to all

Mary

Thanks for the recommendation. Several people have taken this tour and enjoyed it and I have been looking at it. I really want to do a cruise along the fjord, but I am pretty sure it stops before my cruise in September. If I can't get a fjord cruise, we need to decide if we want the tour you took or rent a car. Decisions, decisions!

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Years to all

Mary

Saguenay was definitely the most welcoming port on our Canada/New England cruise. We loved it. We did a HOHO tour in the morning and saw the show (La Fabuleuse) in the afternoon. Highly recommend it. It was wonderful.

Wendy

Saguenay was definitely the most welcoming port on our Canada/New England cruise. We loved it. We did a HOHO tour in the morning and saw the show (La Fabuleuse) in the afternoon. Highly recommend it. It was wonderful.

Wendy

Thanks, La Fabuleuse is definitely on my list. Were you able to purchase tickets on your own, or did you have to go through the ship? Was your show in English or French?

Edited by pizzalady1

:)

Thanks, La Fabuleuse is definitely on my list. Were you able to purchase tickets on your own, or did you have to go through the ship? Was your show in English or French?

We purchased the tickets through the phone number on their web site - can't remember if they spoke English when we called for the tickets. I think we paid less for the tickets than what the ship were charging. The show was in English - I guess they know when the cruise ship is in town that most passengers will be English speaking. When we got to the theatre our tickets were at the box office. The show was great and everyone we spoke to about it on the ship agreed it was not to be missed.

We got off the hop-on/hop-off bus close to the theatre and then got a taxi to the theatre - was not far. After the show ended there were lots of buses going to our ship so it was very convenient.

:)

We purchased the tickets through the phone number on their web site - can't remember if they spoke English when we called for the tickets. I think we paid less for the tickets than what the ship were charging. The show was in English - I guess they know when the cruise ship is in town that most passengers will be English speaking. When we got to the theatre our tickets were at the box office. The show was great and everyone we spoke to about it on the ship agreed it was not to be missed.

We got off the hop-on/hop-off bus close to the theatre and then got a taxi to the theatre - was not far. After the show ended there were lots of buses going to our ship so it was very convenient.

Great info--thanks.