Just back - best weather of the summer!

harlowinct

Got back home very early yesterday morning. Left on Friday 8/10, boarded Diamond Princess Saturday, 8/11, disembarked Saturday 8/18. Had fantastic weather the entire trip!!!! Everyone said we had the best weather for the entire summer and even in years! 6 straight days of sunshine and temps in the 70s, close to 80s!!! Will provide a detailed synopsis as soon as I go through the 5300+ pix I took,:rolleyes:.

Got back home very early yesterday morning. Left on Friday 8/10, boarded Diamond Princess Saturday, 8/11, disembarked Saturday 8/18. Had fantastic weather the entire trip!!!! Everyone said we had the best weather for the entire summer and even in years! 6 straight days of sunshine and temps in the 70s, close to 80s!!! Will provide a detailed synopsis as soon as I go through the 5300+ pix I took,:rolleyes:.

We are glad you had a good week. I hope you left a little sunshine for us.:D

We just arrived back yesterday morning - we left on August 12th on the Star Princess. Our weather was also spectacular, our captain said the same thing, best weather of the season :) I'm glad you had a good time, we did too :)

So glad it was great for you guys...we were on the STAR Princess July 28-August 08 and the weather was not good, except for Victoria. Juneau was not bad, but not as good as in our other five cruises to Alaska. We usually go in late May, but got a great deal for this cruise. The crew said the week before us had been the best of the season so far, but it sounds like you guys really lucked out. But you know, Alaska is great no matter the weather!

We took our third cruise to Alaska this year. All three have been around the first week of August (due to DH's school calendar). This year we had rain in every port--and still had our best cruise ever. The only time it really bothered me was when we were kayaking at Mendenhall Lake.

You were extremely lucky! We were on the southbound 8/4 through 8/11 and it was 50s and low cloud cover, with quite a bit of fog here and there.....what a difference a week makes!

Nah, we had better weather July 7-15 from Ketchikan to Juneau! One day the Captain decided to have a Beach Party and the crew ferried anyone interested (along with Heather the Bartender and a generous supply of food and drink) to a nearby shore area in skiffs. I also have a picture of myself paddleboarding (and praying I didn't fall over into the 42-degree water).

Seriously- I'm glad to hear your weather was fantastic, too. We're going again in 2014 and hoping for more of the same.

Having spent most of our summer in the 90's and 100's - I actually preferred the 50-60 degree temps we had in May. It was cooler then normal but am not complaining as I came home to really hot weather which really hasn't stopped with the exception of a few days. I can't wait for fall and 50 degree weather again.

Glad the weather worked out for you.

Having spent most of our summer in the 90's and 100's - I actually preferred the 50-60 degree temps we had in May. It was cooler then normal but am not complaining as I came home to really hot weather which really hasn't stopped with the exception of a few days. I can't wait for fall and 50 degree weather again.

Glad the weather worked out for you.

We had 90s and 100s all summer, and the 50s temps isn't what bothered me on our trip, it was the continual low cloud cover and fog that prevented us from seeing much scenery.

We were on the Celebrity Millennium the first week of June from Vancouver to Seward. We had sunshine everyday - no rain and temps from mid-50s to upper 50s - perfect weather. I love cool temps and sunshine - makes it easy to pack - jeans, fleeces and a light jacket all week - nothing more.:) Plus, since we were there early in the season we had all the beautiful snow on the mountains.

We were on the Coral Princess from the 13th to the 20th, and the weather was phenomenal! Even the Forest Rangers were impressed. We saw things (like Portage Glacier behind Whittier and Johns Hopkins Glacier in Glacier Bay) that they said most people can never see because they're fogged or rained in. As we were leaving Glacier Bay, I was in the pool & hot tub - who'd've thunk??

While kayaking in our t-shirts in Ketchikan, we even got sunburned!

We had 90s and 100s all summer, and the 50s temps isn't what bothered me on our trip, it was the continual low cloud cover and fog that prevented us from seeing much scenery.

I was there in May/early June and thankfully, we didn't have low cloud cover and fog.

I had a cruise once in July that had heavy fog, rain/sleet and what felt like zero visibility for most of the cruise. So I understand what you experienced.

I do have to say I loved the cool weather.

• 3 weeks later...

Very happy for the people who were blessed with great weather!

I was on an Alaska cruise at the beginning of August, and we were lucky as well! We had some rain in Juneau (though it was not cold) and also in Glacier Bay. But the other ports of Ketchikan and Skagway, it was sunny and warm!! And our other days at sea were sunny and beautiful as well.

Archived