Cruiseline i sues questionable e-ticket

zorrosuncle

Recently a well known cruise line issued my e-tickets covering four flights. On the surface the written flight numbers are all correct, etc. And the description iss correct on VirtuallyThere as well as in the list of flights under the locator number on the airline’s website. The flight in question is a trip from JFK to LAX.

But when I try to view the email receipt on the airline website, it says that the flight is another flight number and going from Dublin to JFK! I called the airline and they say there is an error although they do not know why.

I go to my cruiseline commissioned agent and try to tell him about it. He keeps saying that there is nothing wrong. I ask him to pass this by the air/sea department of the cruiseline. He doesn’t do it.

He just says to tell the airline at check in the locator number and everything will be alright.

Butr at check-in I am sure that the e-ticket will show the Dublin flight.

What should I do. I am getting nowhere at the cruiseline, and if I don’t make the JFK/LAX flight, the next say, I don’t make LAX to SYD. The whole 34 day cruise goes down the drain. And I lose some money though I do have insurance.

ZUY

Edited by zorrosuncle

This is what TA's are paid to deal with. If the one you are working with won't take responsibility, call their boss. Above all, document every conversation with names, dates, times, etc.

This is a perfect example of why I don't use a travel agent, but book it all myself.

This is what TA's are paid to deal with. If the one you are working with won't take responsibility, call their boss. Above all, document every conversation with names, dates, times, etc.

This is a perfect example of why I don't use a travel agent, but book it all myself.

I agree with everything said here. I don't need another layer of BS in between me and my airline. But seeing as there is one, does this TA have a supervisor, or are they working for themselves? If a supervisor, find a way to bring it to them.

What does the email say when you DON'T try to read it in HTML? In other words, the raw ASCII text. Does it show the correct flight numbers?

One other possibility.....your JFK-LAX flight is a continuation of DUB-JFK and you are just getting the first segment showing (through many possible causes).

But then....since you don't tell us dates, times and flight numbers -- once again, it's guessing game time!!! The new craze sweeping the internet!!

GIGO.

This person works for the cruise line! He is a commissioned sales agent

(according to LinkedIn)

Not quite sure who you are referring to.

This points out, one more time, the difference between a travel agent and a travel order taker. But let me guess, he got you a good price?? Right??

This person works for the cruise line! He is a commissioned sales agent

(according to LinkedIn)

ZU

That doesn't mean he works for the cruise line. It means he's an agent that represents him. Big difference.

Not quite sure who you are referring to.

This points out, one more time, the difference between a travel agent and a travel order taker. But let me guess, he got you a good price?? Right??

Yup, $3 cheaper plus a $3 bottle of wine in the stateroom on arrival Great deal! ;)

I'll bet a whole lot of nothing that this is a CRUISE LINE ISSUED TICKET.

And here we go again. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing and to tell you the truth, the one hand (airline) really doesn't care because your ticket was purchased a LONG TIME ago by the cruise line and you are now the cruise line's customer because THEY OWN YOUR TICKET, not the airline.

I have no idea how to straighten this out or even give advice without more info. Yes, we know you are flying JFK to LAX. But what flight number, time, etc. etc?

More info please. I just kind of bet in the back of your mind you wish you would have just purchased your tickets direct with the airline so you could deal with them instead of having to deal with a third party who may or may not even have a clue.

Good luck!!!

Which means nothing without the flights and dates of travel. I've got an upcoming flight on AA. Can you tell me what my connection is?

I'll play. DFW?

OP having problems in the past with e-tickets:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1910067

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43836581#post43836581

Edited by 6rugrats

• 2 weeks later...
What does the email say when you DON'T try to read it in HTML? In other words, the raw ASCII text. Does it show the correct flight numbers?

One other possibility.....your JFK-LAX flight is a continuation of DUB-JFK and you are just getting the first segment showing (through many possible causes).

But then....since you don't tell us dates, times and flight numbers -- once again, it's guessing game time!!! The new craze sweeping the internet!!

GIGO.

The flight is actually Delta 428. But the source code when I view it says it is 91 and that is the source for the e-ticket. ZU

ZU

Edited by zorrosuncle

The flight is actually Delta 428. But the source code when I view it says it is 91 and that is the source for the e-ticket. ZU

ZU

Yes, DL91 is DUB-JFK and terminates at JFK. But, the very text you quoted states that we really can't help much more without more detail...we won't stalk you at the airport, promise ! :)

Hopefully you understand a PNR record locator is just a "placeholder" for your reservation, and that's completely different from a ticket issued for the reservation. A better question for HAL is asking point-blank for the 13 digit ticket number, not simply if tickets have been issued. If they provide it, you can check and confirm things independently of HAL (although HAL is your agent and they have to make any changes). If HAL cannot provide a ticket number or hedges at the answer, take that as "No". Any of their junior staff should be able to provide the info, if it indeed exists.

All that said, only HAL can actually do something to correct any problems that exist...a wealth of advice has come from the 3 different threads you've posted and unfortunately not much more insight or value can be provided with the dearth of details.

Edited by kenish

ZU

First of all, the e-tickets were for paid for on Aug. 13 according to Delta, and all four e-ticket numbers are shown on the receipt page

I looked at the source for the boarding pass page in ASCII and it appears that the HTML source is generated by another program -- because fields such as "Delta 91" are hard coded for positional placement on the output boarding pass record.

I am guessing that Delta's HTML creation program goes up against a HAL data base flight information record or records that are used to create a primary HTML input record at Delta. This is for the boarding pass record to be generated through email.

A similar program is probably used to generate the receipt page, itself -- but I can't see the source on this. It is grayed out.

Both the boarding pass output and receipt information output are showing "Delta 91"

I suspect that HAL has one database file for booking information and another for flight information. These are probably linked together either by the e-ticket number or the HAL locator record. The flight numbers should be the same on both but somehow they are not.

So when Delta generates the flight information on the flight information page it is probably using the booking file while the other two pages are using the flight information file. The output of this flight information program shows Delta 428.

I suspect that HAL has a corrupt database but I can only speculate about all of this. One or the other of the companies should have been checking for flight number integrity making sure that the flight numbers are the same. But these were probably secondary keys and not primary.

Being that Delta handles millions of passengers per year, I suspect the problem is with HAL. Also because HAL has locked files.

Just to make life more interesting, Delta for the past week seems to have a problem with using their email generator to generate the boarding pass for me. Perhaps this is in my case only because they know there is a problem. I keep getting a message that says that there seems to be an email problem sending your message. Please try again later.

Flight 428 leaves at 3:15 pm on Oct. 14 from JFK for Los Angeles.

ZU

Edited by zorrosuncle

Have you tried calling Delta?

Yes, they told me and cruise line in a conference call with their cruise desk that the ticket was invalid. They told HAL how to fix it. So far cruise line has not fixed the ticket. Cruise line has a contract that states that upon receiving all monies due that they will issue a booking. They have not done so. They have issued an invalid booking.

My lawyer says that they have unilaterally breached the contract.

But they are practically litigation proof -- Have to go to Seattle to bring suit. Then if I cancel cruise they charge a 10 percent fee. If I go to the end, I lose everything for not showing up for a cruise they prevent me from going to. So I have to cancel.

ZU

There has been an awful lot of discussion and a lot of threads started about this issue.

I don't understand how DL could issue boarding passes for you, as mentioned in a previous post, if your flight is in the middle of Oct.

I don't remember; do you actually have a ticket number, or just a PNR? You say you have four e-ticket numbers, but that would mean you have four separate tickets for this trip, which seems odd.

Most people wouldn't have paid any attention to the coding, etc., and it probably would have worked out fine. Not sure canceling your cruise at this point is the best option, unless that's what you really wanted to do all along.

The back story is in these threads:-

The most recent word from HAL appears to be that they will re-issue the ticket on or after 24 September, which is still about 3½ weeks before travel (which I think is on 19 October):-

The outcome is that AIR/Sea des not take outside calls. Had to go through an intermediary resulting in a conference call with carrier. Carrier informed PCC that Air/Sea was wrong. Air/sea promised to re-validate ticket (Carrier's solution) in 2 days, but reneged on their promise.

Now they don't want to re-validate until 9/24 because of "possible "schedule changes. If at that time the fix doesn't work, I bail.

For myself, I don't understand why the OP is getting so worked up about this. IME, some cruise lines don't issue a ticket for the first time until about three weeks before travel.

What I would do is see if HAL Can release the ticket back to Delta. Or they may be able to "re issue the ticket and or recreate the record". When you call HAL or Delta ask them for the Ticket#. Is your reservation not pulling up in their system by the record locator number?

Perhaps HAL did not apply the payment to your ticket and it got cancelled. There is a ticketing limit date by which the ticket must be booked by whether a group booking or individual .

If need be HAL needs to re purchase your ticket even at the higher cost they would be responsible for doing so.

Please keep us posted.