Port of Tampa closing Sunday

Vmalcolm

Good question! Perhaps the folks who boarded last Sunday will get an extended cruise? I actually don't think the weather on Sunday will be all that bad,. (Maybe later in the day it'll get bad.) I expect the worst day to be Monday, and even then probably just lots and lots of rain, with heavy gusts of wind. Time will tell. Just get it out of here quickly, as I board "Paradise" on 9/3/2012. ;)

"SKY"

Is there only one ship in port that day??

I just checked Carnival website and no mention of any changes

it will be interseting If and where they divert everyone.

I'm wondering if one of their main concerns is getting the ship safely under the Sunshine Skyway bridge ?

Probably that, and getting the ship safely down the long, narrow channel, to and from the Gulf. The ship is pretty much like a BIG SAIL when it comes to heavy wind, and it might be a challenge! :eek:

"SKY"

I remember a few years ago I was supposed to pick my parents up from a cruise in Tampa. They were fogged out of the port and just sitting in the Gulf. They were able to call me from the ship to let me know, but when I called Carnival to ask what time to pick them up, I was informed the ship was already docked at the port and I needed to get them now. The agent argued with me and when I told her I just talked to my parents from the ship, she informed me my parents were confused.

Good question! Perhaps the folks who boarded last Sunday will get an extended cruise? I actually don't think the weather on Sunday will be all that bad,. (Maybe later in the day it'll get bad.) I expect the worst day to be Monday, and even then probably just lots and lots of rain, with heavy gusts of wind. Time will tell. Just get it out of here quickly, as I board "Paradise" on 9/3/2012. ;)

"SKY"

Sky - Off Topic, but hoping you'll post your impressions of Paradise after your return. thanks, Ken

Very likely that Legend will end up in Port Canaveral.

Getting passengers from Port Canaveral back to Port of Tampa, or Tampa International, would become an interesting challenge for the next few days. Carnival customer service put to the test for sure.

I was just being nosy on the RCCL Allure OTS roll call for tomorrow and they are keeping the ship out to sea 2 more days so the cruise leaving tomorrow is now leaving on Tuesday. I wonder if the ports will be closed for more than a day. I can't imagine the number of people on that ship that had flights for tomorrow and Monday that will now have to try to reschedule. With all the cancelled flights we are talking thousands of people trying to get on flights that are already full. I bet alot of people will be renting cars for ow drives.

I was just being nosy on the RCCL Allure OTS roll call for tomorrow and they are keeping the ship out to sea 2 more days so the cruise leaving tomorrow is now leaving on Tuesday. I wonder if the ports will be closed for more than a day. I can't imagine the number of people on that ship that had flights for tomorrow and Monday that will now have to try to reschedule. With all the cancelled flights we are talking thousands of people trying to get on flights that are already full. I bet alot of people will be renting cars for ow drives.

Yup, and a lot will be P.Off!! (While the ship is keeping out of harm's way)

I guess they can't get their stories straight. TBO is staying Carnival cruises are still projected as normal. LOL.

"Carnival had announced no plans as of Saturday to cancel cruises or change itineraries due to Isaac."

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2012/aug/25/cruise-ships-still-sailing-from-tampa-despite-rnc-ar-473884/

I drove through downtown tampa this morning and back closer to noon. No issues except a few road closures I had to take alternate routes around. Lots of busses with extra police and security. Also they are already patroling the sidewalks.

I guess they can't get their stories straight. TBO is staying Carnival cruises are still projected as normal. LOL.

"Carnival had announced no plans as of Saturday to cancel cruises or change itineraries due to Isaac."

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2012/aug/25/cruise-ships-still-sailing-from-tampa-despite-rnc-ar-473884/

I drove through downtown tampa this morning and back closer to noon. No issues except a few road closures I had to take alternate routes around. Lots of busses with extra police and security. Also they are already patroling the sidewalks.

Have a feeling this article was published before the announced port closing by the CG.

i believe port is being shut down around there for security reason. the repbulican national convention starts this week in tampa. which is at st pete times forum which is walking distance from cruise terminal.....

Port is staying open for cruises despite the RNC. They are just redirecting the traffic so you have to come in from East side of downtown, away from all the action.

The only reason it would close is the weather.

Yes, Carnival is terrible about informing their guest!

Just think about all the people that will fly in today and tomorrow and will not have a ship to sail on nor will they have a hotel room or transportation anywhere all so Carnival can wait till the last minute to announce a decision that has already been made for them.

Archived