AMEX Platinum cruise benefits question

My benefits are similar via the plat AMEX. However, my TA offers me the same, sometimes better deals.

I am fairly certain you don't need to book through Amex to get the benefits. So, we get the OBC from our TA plus all the benefits from the Plat. Amex. The benefits vary based on the cruise line. For our next cruise we get $550 OBC and champagne (they specify Dom Perignon) from Amex plus the OBC offered by the TA.

Hi all,

I booked my next RCCL cruise using my Amex Plat card. The cruise benefits offered are:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)

Complimentary dinner for two in specialty restaurant

Bottle of premium champagne

Does anyone know how the dinner works? Is it first night only (like HAL) and which restaurant? (Ill be on FOS) Thanks in advance!

Host Dan

From the "Terms and Conditions" page of the American Express Platinum Travel website:

" In our role as a travel agent and provider of the Travel Site, American Express acts as an independent contractor."

So perhaps you could provide a little clarification Dan. Has cruise critic FINALLY modified the terms and conditions of this site allowing us to mention specific commercial travel agents and resources? If so, that's fantastic!!! I think it opens up tremendous potential for cruisers to share information and thereby improve everyone's experience.

On the other hand, if cruise critic HAS NOT changed the terms and conditions, I am left to wonder, why the double standard for This one particular travel agent.:confused:

I find it puzzling.

• Administrators
From the "Terms and Conditions" page of the American Express Platinum Travel website:

" In our role as a travel agent and provider of the Travel Site, American Express acts as an independent contractor."

So perhaps you could provide a little clarification Dan. Has cruise critic FINALLY modified the terms and conditions of this site allowing us to mention specific commercial travel agents and resources? If so, that's fantastic!!! I think it opens up tremendous potential for cruisers to share information and thereby improve everyone's experience.

On the other hand, if cruise critic HAS NOT changed the terms and conditions, I am left to wonder, why the double standard for This one particular travel agent.:confused:

I find it puzzling.

I'm not seeing a double-standard here. I see that Dan mentioned he used his credit card, specifically.

We haven't changed or modified the terms and conditions of our site. Thanks for asking for clarification. In the future, please email me directly at community@cruisecritic.com rather than post on the forum. Thank you!

Laura

Edited by LauraS

I'm not seeing a double-standard here. I see that Dan mentioned he used his credit card. Did you miss that?

Laura

The benefits provided from using the credit card are the result of the TRAVEL AGENCY that is contracted with American Express to provide the service. This is no different than OBC or upgrades being given by any other TRAVEL AGENT. So it stands to reason, if we can share information and, in Dan's case, outright endorse one particular TRAVEL AGENT, why can't we do so with others?

• Administrators
The benefits provided from using the credit card are the result of the TRAVEL AGENCY that is contracted with American Express to provide the service. This is no different than OBC or upgrades being given by any other TRAVEL AGENT. So it stands to reason, if we can share information and, in Dan's case, outright endorse one particular TRAVEL AGENT, why can't we do so with others?

Actually, I happen to have this card myself and the truth of the matter is you can get those benefits by using the card and ANY travel agency.

As I mentioned, our rules have not changed. Please email me to continue this conversation. Thank you.

I've not been successful in combining the Amex offer with any other offer since RCL joined the program. In both cases, I've been better off with the RCL deal... which was for significantly more onboard credit. That's just 2 instances. Overall, I am highly pleased with my Amex Platinum card. The $200 dollar annual airline fee credit and lounge access with American, Delta, US Airways, over some 600 other lounges through the complimentary Priority Pass that comes with the card more than make up for the $450 dollar annual fee.

Yes it is, but as another poster noted, if you travel a lot there are a ton of benefits involved, including airport lounge access, fee rebates, insurance and more.

Is it really that much annually??

I believe the annual fee is $450.

Still want it?

• Membership in the top tier of certain car rental programs
  • Access to certain airline clubs even when not going 1st/business class
  • BOGO for 1st class international tickets
  • Upgrades in certain hotels/cruises
  • OBC/premium champagne (on Silversea it was Dom which IMO is FAR superior to that Nick F stuff)
  • Concierge
  • Special access to certain events
  • No limit (put all 4 years of college on it - great point builder or a whole cruise)
  • Easy transfer of miles to partnered airlines
  • They cover the cost of your NEXUS application

While not everyone will find it worthwhile, I certainly have.

Edited by baychilla

Yes it is, but as another poster noted, if you travel a lot there are a ton of benefits involved, including airport lounge access, fee rebates, insurance and more.

Thank you for the information......but it wouldn't be for me as we don't travel enough to make up for the annual fee. I get plenty of benefits from my Diamond Status, shareholder benefits and Visa points.

• 1 month later...
Dan, I booked directly with RCCL. Do you know if I would call AMEX or the cruise line to have benefits applied? For some reason I seem to recall that the SBC or upgrade and Crown and Anchor Balcony discount could not both be used.

This is what I found as well. I booked my upcoming cruise on the Oasis by contacting RCCL directly to apply my Diamond balcony discount. I had forgotten about the recent addition of RCCL to the Platinum cruise benefit program so when I realized this, I contaced Amex to see if I could receive their benefits in addition to my diamond discount. The answer was NO. They said I had to choose one or the other. So, I'm a bit confused by the folks here who have had success combining both? Should I call Plat Amex back?

I believe the annual fee is $450.

Still want it?

2 cruises a year and you have made back more than the fee. So I say yes.

My question is are the AMEX benefits combinable with all RCL C&A Benefits?

Edited by crbonfiber

I have found the sweet spot to be a five day cruise, since RCI's discounts and on board credits are small for anything under 6 night cruises. I booked a 5 night in a Jr Suite, and received the following...

$300 OBC (Plus additional OBC from TA)

Champagne

Specialty dining for 2

If I booked using the Next Cruise program, I would have received $25-50 for a balcony discount OR $75 if a coupon was available, plus $25 OBC. So, $300 more by booking via Amex Platinum services. Now, if this was a 7 day example, the Amex program would only be worth about $100-150 more. It is not applicable on cruises of 4 nights or less.

I booked through a local TA and paid with my AMEX Platinum card. Can I realize any benefits at this point? I already made the final payment for a late-August cruise on Allure.

THANKS!

You would have to book through their agency or transfer the booking to the Amex cruise agency in order to get the benefit. It is not really about paying with the platinum card

So how does this work? The way I read it, I choose Airline X, and then I get up to 200 dollars of fees waived, but, only on Airline X.
Yes, you preselect an airline from a list (it doesn't include all airlines). You use your AMEX Platinum to pay certain fees such as seat assignment, baggage fees, etc. (NOT class upgrades or airfare or penalties). The airline charges you those charges like normal, but after you receive your statement AMEX places a credit on that same statement, up to $200 per calendar year.

It's important to note that it only pays for fees in YOUR name, as far as I can tell. So for our flight to FLL for our cruise in August, for example, I might be paying for 3 checked bags all in my own name ... even though the 2nd and 3rd bags become ridiculously expensive and it would be silly under normal circumstances NOT to apportion one bag to each of three travelers (4 of us are flying), but if I put all the bags in my name then all the fees go in my name, and thus I'll be eligible for that statement credit.

I hope that makes sense!

You would have to book through their agency or transfer the booking to the Amex cruise agency in order to get the benefit. It is not really about paying with the platinum card

Please define what you mean by "their agency" ... I'm not sure I'm 100% understanding what you're saying.

Do you agree or disagree with LauraS who posted (on page 2 of this thread) that one can get the benefits when booking through ANY travel agency?

Thanks for trying to clear up MY confusion! :p:confused:

You can use any travel agent, but can NOT combine it with any RCI corporate discounts or credits, like Book on Board, Balcony discounts, Shareholder credit, etc.

I used my regular agent for my booking (2nd booking with Amex Platinum with him), and I received OBC from him and Amex. He checked with RCL about combining their corporate discounts or OBCs and forwarded me the e-mail from RCI corporate stating it wasn't allowed.

Wow, there sure is a variety of opinions! Unfortunately, there's only one set of facts, and it seems I'll have to find out for myself ... if my TA knows the facts, that is.

I know just how frustrating this can be for whoever is actually correct. I'm a Disney World expert, and I know all my facts. But it's not uncommon for me to read patently incorrect advice from someone else. And on top of that, I've read terribly incorrect info from TAs on those boards, as well.

Hi all,

I booked my next RCCL cruise using my Amex Plat card. The cruise benefits offered are:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit (depending on ship and category booked)

Does anyone know how the dinner works? Is it first night only (like HAL) and which restaurant? (Ill be on FOS) Thanks in advance!

Host Dan

Can be used any night you wish.:eek::eek:

After reading this thread, and knowing most of the Plat benefits, I was curious about the above poster's benefits of Johnny Rockets/VIp check in/etc. I called AMEX Plat on an upcoming cruise and learned that in addition to the all the advertised benefits, there is another one that is not. It is called Destination Family and if you are travelling with kids under age 17, you are entitled to: VIP checkin, Johnny Rockets for a family of four and Unlimited Refills on Soda. This is only on Royal Caribbean and Part of the the American Express Plat benefits, so be sure to ask about it!

Evening, folks. Not trying to "bump" this thread, per se, but it seems to have been swallowed by dozens of other postings this weekend and I would still like to know if anyone is aware of whether the term "specialty restaurant" includes the Chef's Table.

Thanks, very much (and, yes, I resisted the urge to write "Bueller? Bueller?...but given that this thread fell all the way back to page 5 and may have been lost to the other posters, it was tempting!! :D)

VR,

T Lex

Hi all,

Host Dan

Does anyone know if it is the same perks if you use a Centurion card ?