Flight experience from veterans

Athankfulheart

I need some info from some folks who have flown to SJ a bunch. We have our cruise booked for 1/4/15 and plan the week before in PR. As of now we have an condo booked for Sun-Sun and then on cruise Sun-Sun. We figured we could easily stay overnight at a hotel on debark day and fly out on Monday ( or even Tuesday). We have also looked at the option of moving the condo reservations from sun-sun to tues-sun and flying on Tuesday there as well.

It seems that flying on Tuesday helps lower the fare. Now, my question for the veterans. I have read that its senseless to buy airfare this far ahead and that waiting until a 90 day window before travel would give us better fares. I am wondering if flights to SJ fit this description or not ?

What are your experiences and when would you advise we pull the trigger.?We live closest to SGF but can drive to KC or St Louis if need be. We would be willing to drive to Dallas for at least a $500 savings ( on 2 tickets). We are prepared to fly with carry-on only to save as well.

The only thing that I am "particular" on is that we do not arrive in SJ at night if at all possible, since we will be renting a car and traveling to Luquillo. Our condo reservations are fluid until about 30 days out from arrival so we can make changes until then and book a small hotel or something for after the cruise.

Thanks for your input !

It seems that flying on Tuesday helps lower the fare. Now, my question for the veterans. I have read that its senseless to buy airfare this far ahead and that waiting until a 90 day window before travel would give us better fares. I am wondering if flights to SJ fit this description or not ?

Hi Tracy:

The fallacy with your generalization about the 90 day window is that your departure will take place during the peak winter holiday period. By the 90 day window, the less expensive fare buckets will certainly be sold out.

Here's what I would do. On May 19, Southwest opens flights up to the beginning of January. I'd get on their website that day ASAP to purchase the departure from STL to SJU. Then I'd check when they open up flights for the return, and purchase them the day the flights open up. Good luck.

Hi Tracy:

The fallacy with your generalization about the 90 day window is that your departure will take place during the peak winter holiday period. By the 90 day window, the less expensive fare buckets will certainly be sold out.

Here's what I would do. On May 19, Southwest opens flights up to the beginning of January. I'd get on their website that day ASAP to purchase the departure from STL to SJU. Then I'd check when they open up flights for the return, and purchase them the day the flights open up. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. To clarify, the 90 day thing is something that I read, not something that I necessarily know to be true. I appreciate your input and will definitely look at Southwest on the 19th. Has it been your experience that this would be the best deal even though it is 2 one way fares rather than round trip ? As you may be able to tell, I do not fly often.

How can I find out the schedule of when they open up flights for booking ?

Edited by Athankfulheart

I have flown to San Juan several times and generally on Delta. Do you like spending time on the beach? If so, then I suggest getting a place on Isla Verde on the beach. The waves are higher in the winter and you will notice this on Condado. If possible, I suggest going to Culebra for a day or two. I love Flamenco Beach. Another suggestion is to drive to Guavate on the weekend and eat lechon (roasted pig). We also ate turkey and chicken. The people there are very friendly and it is a festive atmosphere. I feel people need at have least 2 days just to explore OSJ (forts, stores, bakeries, restaurants, parks, etc.). It is fun to walk around the city walls at night and listen to the frogs.

I do not recommend renting a car for your entire stay unless it is cheaper. Driving in San Juan can be a nightmare! We got caught in traffic a few times. I would take a taxi and/or bus to places around San Juan. The bus system in San Juan is not always reliable. I don''t recommend riding the bus at night.

I got a notice that airlines are having a sale on airfare to San Juan right now.

I have flown to San Juan several times and generally on Delta. Do you like spending time on the beach? If so, then I suggest getting a place on Isla Verde on the beach. The waves are higher in the winter and you will notice this on Condado. If possible, I suggest going to Culebra for a day or two. I love Flamenco Beach. Another suggestion is to drive to Guavate on the weekend and eat lechon (roasted pig). We also ate turkey and chicken. The people there are very friendly and it is a festive atmosphere. I feel people need at have least 2 days just to explore OSJ (forts, stores, bakeries, restaurants, parks, etc.). It is fun to walk around the city walls at night and listen to the frogs.

I do not recommend renting a car for your entire stay unless it is cheaper. Driving in San Juan can be a nightmare! We got caught in traffic a few times. I would take a taxi and/or bus to places around San Juan. The bus system in San Juan is not always reliable. I don''t recommend riding the bus at night.

I got a notice that airlines are having a sale on airfare to San Juan right now.

Thanks for your input. I'm not too concerned about the driving as my husband has been a truck driver in NYC in the past and we have lived there as well as Southern California. We have also driven a bunch south the border in Mexico. The traffic/crazy drivers thing doesn't phase my husband and I just try to hang on and think happy thoughts:) I will check out Delta and see what they are showing for SJU now. I appreciate the advice :)

Thanks for your advice. To clarify, the 90 day thing is something that I read, not something that I necessarily know to be true. I appreciate your input and will definitely look at Southwest on the 19th. Has it been your experience that this would be the best deal even though it is 2 one way fares rather than round trip ? As you may be able to tell, I do not fly often.

How can I find out the schedule of when they open up flights for booking ?

I agree with checking the flight prices now for the legacy carriers, including Delta. If you see something in your budget, I would not hesitate to purchase now, even though it's far in advance, because you need to travel in the holiday period.

With Southwest, purchasing two one way fares is identical to purchasing a round trip fare. No price difference.

We flew last winter holiday to SJU. I checked prices on the legacy carriers for our route around this time but found that the least expensive were the Southwest flights on the day they opened. We paid $336 round trip from BWI Dec 20-28.

Here's the link to find out when flights open for later in January:

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html?int=GSUBNAV-TOOLS-HOTEL-TOOLS

I agree with checking the flight prices now for the legacy carriers, including Delta. If you see something in your budget, I would not hesitate to purchase now, even though it's far in advance, because you need to travel in the holiday period.

With Southwest, purchasing two one way fares is identical to purchasing a round trip fare. No price difference.

We flew last winter holiday to SJU. I checked prices on the legacy carriers for our route around this time but found that the least expensive were the Southwest flights on the day they opened. We paid $336 round trip from BWI Dec 20-28.

Here's the link to find out when flights open for later in January:

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html?int=GSUBNAV-TOOLS-HOTEL-TOOLS

I agree with this. We flew to San Juan in Jan 2013 (on United) for about $570 .... this was flying out on a Wednesday and back on a Tuesday. This year, we paid about $650 .... still traveling on Wed and Tues.

In looking at costs, remember that Southwest lets you check a bag for no added cost.

Hello, Another huge benefit of booking with Southwest is that they have a no change fee policy, which means if you book at one price and the price goes down- you can rebook at the lower price. There is no limit to how many times you can rebook ( my record is 5).

Also, bags still fly free, so you can factor that into the fare.

The only problem is that I believe you only get a credit, not refund for the price differences, so it may not help of you aren't planning any more flights. I'd check their website to be sure since it's been awhile since I took advantage of their policies.

Hello, Another huge benefit of booking with Southwest is that they have a no change fee policy, which means if you book at one price and the price goes down- you can rebook at the lower price. There is no limit to how many times you can rebook ( my record is 5).

Also, bags still fly free, so you can factor that into the fare.

The only problem is that I believe you only get a credit, not refund for the price differences, so it may not help of you aren't planning any more flights. I'd check their website to be sure since it's been awhile since I took advantage of their policies.

Gotcha. I must say that I am sad that Southwest is leaving Branson this summer. We will need to drive to Tulsa or STL or possibly Little Rock. It would be worth it for a good savings over Springfield.

I would stay with sw. We booked the day we could on outgoing and return flights, and that was the lowest the prices have been. They are still the lowest and we leave in 51 days. I would keep an eye on st.louis and kc. Not sure if the price difference between the two locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. I must say that I am sad that Southwest is leaving Branson this summer. We will need to drive to Tulsa or STL or possibly Little Rock. It would be worth it for a good savings over Springfield.

Don't come to Tulsa. We are flying out of Tulsa to San Juan at the beginning of November. On Southwest there is only 1 flight a day (but none on Saturdays) and it costs more than St Louis or Kansas City. Kansas City has 4 flights and St Louis has 2. The cost from Tulsa is $228. From Kansas City or Kansas it is $198 or $203.

Sharon

Don't come to Tulsa. We are flying out of Tulsa to San Juan at the beginning of November. On Southwest there is only 1 flight a day (but none on Saturdays) and it costs more than St Louis or Kansas City. Kansas City has 4 flights and St Louis has 2. The cost from Tulsa is $228. From Kansas City or Kansas it is $198 or $203.

Sharon

Thanks for the advice ! I was looking at Delta the other day and they had 441 RT from KC but the flights arrived late at night, which I am trying to avoid. I think they also had the same from Springfield but arriving at night. I live 10min from Springfield airport so it would be convenient.

I am going to set my calendar for the 19th and look at Southwest. I don't plan to check a bag now, but would love to have free bags to fall back on, should I change my mind.