Huh's Epic Adventure

huh

DW, DD me and Brother-in Laws Family just got back from a back to back from 1-1-11 through 1-15-11 on the Epic. The actual review should be popping up soon in the review section.

The Reader's Digest version is that everyone had a great time. The cabin was fine. I was originally concerned as some reviews have described the rooms as "sub-standard". I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the rooms were standard, each cabin had 4 walls, a floor and ceiling. Perhaps a better term is "unconventional". I liked the bathroom set-up as I was able to brush teath, shave, etc. while DW or DD was in the shower. Tons of storage. There was a long shelf that ran about 6 feet under the TV, plenty of room for the room service tray. I didn't miss the small coffee table that are in other ship's cabins as all I do is whack my shins on them.

The first leg of our B2B had 4,800 to 4,900 passengers, the second had about 3k. But even the 1st week it never seemed crowded.

Entertainment was great. (I'm not a fan of the usual "Here's our tribute to Cats" typical cruise fare.) Blue Man Group was indescribable. Howl at the Moon was a hoot. Fat Cats was fun. I even enjoied the Cirque de Puree', excuse me, I mean Cirque Dreams.

Food ranged from good to very good including Cirque Dreams dinner. The Murder Mystery lunch was pretty good, along with being a ton of fun. Despite some reviews, passengers in the MDR did not look as if they were in a casting call for Deliverance or Hee-Haw. No bib-overalls or John Deere hats. No raggedy teenagers wearing their torn Megadeath shirts. Most everyone dressed resort casual.

Overall everything met, if not exceeded my expectations. If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them as best I can. As I said in the beginning, my much longer review should be popping up in the review section soon and some of your questions may be answered. If not, fire away.

The only real downside was in the middle of the second week the weather turned bad with temps in the mid 60s and 15-20 mph winds. Despite that the poolside band was out there playing "Songs From the Islands". Unfortunately they were songs from the Aleutian Islands. There is nothing sadder in the world than watching a Reggae band freezing their butts off.

The only real downside was in the middle of the second week the weather turned bad with temps in the mid 60s and 15-20 mph winds. Despite that the poolside band was out there playing "Songs From the Islands". Unfortunately they were songs from the Aleutian Islands. There is nothing sadder in the world than watching a Reggae band freezing their butts off.

Nothing beats dreadlocks and mukluks!

Looking forward to hearing comparisons between the two weeks. We were onboard 1/1 and the ship was very full, but never felt too crowded. I'm curious to hear if the 3K passengers made it feel too empty at times.

Glad to hear everybody in your group had a good time. I know we did. :)

Just a couple of b2b questions.

Were you in the same cabin for both?

What did you do with your luggage between cruises?

Did you have to dinembark between?

We are doing a b2b October 2012

Thanks

We did a b2b on Epic July/Aug last year.

We had the same cabin for both, so everything stayed in the cabin.

We had to disembark in Miami to go through immigration.

As we did not want to go into Miami, we left the ship as late as possible (with "last call" pax), we were given a 'Transit' sticker to put on and with several other 'transit' passengers taken through customs, then straight back into the terminal, through security and to the waiting area (by-passing the check-in desks, as you will have key-cards already for the second week).

You can only re-board once the ship has been cleared by the authorities (and you may not have access to your cabin until they have finished with all the cleaning etc so take something to read or what else you may need).

This time it took us exactly an hour from stepping off the ship to re-boarding.

Glad you had such a good time. Weather is the big unpredictable. Sounds like the band persevered. Was it "Flex"?

Did you hear any of the musical entertainers - guitarist, piano guy, etc.?

Can't wait to get on Epic again for 2 wks and get out of this freezing cold winter wonderland!

Archived