What Questions Do You Have Of The Senior Crew on A Crossing?

Garybem

I am off on the QM2 on 15 December on the Transatlantic to NYC and then down to the Caribbean. As I have a blog and podcast that has covered Cunard and crossings a lot, I have been working with the Cunard PR office to arrange to get access to be able to do interviews with the senior crew, including Captain etc, and some of the crew like gentlemen hosts etc.

I will be buidling a series about what goes on behind the scenes of a transatlantic. I am looking to find out what questions and things past and potential Cunard travellers on the boards here would like me to ask when I meet them! I am a regular board follower and so think I know some of the topics, but love to hear what you would suggest I ask...

We will also be boarding on the 15th Dec for yet another voyage on the QM2. I must say your blog is terrific and makes interesting reading. As for questions, I would be interested to know what is the Captain's favourite port of call and why? :)

We will also be boarding on the 15th Dec for yet another voyage on the QM2. I must say your blog is terrific and makes interesting reading. As for questions, I would be interested to know what is the Captain's favourite port of call and why? :)

Great! Thanks too for kind comments on the blog ;)

Love the question! That will be an interesting one, suspect it will be something unexpected!

Some questions:

1. What do you think has been the impact of social media (e.g. cruise critic, etc) on the Cunard on-board experience?

2. What is the biggest misconception that people have about Transatlantic Crossings?

3. What tradition are you glad has survived from the early days of Transatlantic liners until today?

4. Would you like to join us at the cruise critic get-together on the 16th? :D

Garybem, who will be the captain of the ship and senior officers on your voyage? (I wasn't able to find that info on the Cunard website.) Thanks, -S.

Salacia. Good question, I thought I had seen that info in the last Cunarder mag or somewhere - but could not find it either. Will keep looking as sure I read a list of who was on-board when....... if anyone else knows how to find that let us know!

Look forward to it, have seen a lot of you guys on you tube and you two do make me laugh:D

We do try and be more serious but end up spoofing travel shows and the like........ will try and be more serious.But suspect will not in the end. Glad you enjoy the efforts so far anyway

Some questions:

1. What do you think has been the impact of social media (e.g. cruise critic, etc) on the Cunard on-board experience?

2. What is the biggest misconception that people have about Transatlantic Crossings?

3. What tradition are you glad has survived from the early days of Transatlantic liners until today?

4. Would you like to join us at the cruise critic get-together on the 16th? :D

Cool cruiser. Thanks for the questions. Will make sure I get those in. Look forward to the Cruise Critic get-together. Think usually mentioned in the daily program?

Gary, I enjoy your blog very much. I often go back to listen to your QE2 crossing blog.

Your captain, I believe, will be Christopher Wells, provided there are no changes. He just took command of the ship, so I suspect he will be there for your crossing.

With all the retirements, Chris Wells is the only remaining true Cunard captain All the other captains have come from P & O.

Ask him how the Cunard of today has evolved from the Cunard of the past. He will give a very insightful and balanced response.

I will look forward to your blog.

Bon Voyage!

Gary, I enjoy your blog very much. I often go back to listen to your QE2 crossing blog.

Your captain, I believe, will be Christopher Wells, provided there are no changes. He just took command of the ship, so I suspect he will be there for your crossing.

With all the retirements, Chris Wells is the only remaining true Cunard captain All the other captains have come from P & O.

Ask him how the Cunard of today has evolved from the Cunard of the past. He will give a very insightful and balanced response.

I will look forward to your blog.

Bon Voyage!

Chris Wells is ex P&O as well. Although he did start on QE2

Bobby, thanks for the heads-up on Captain Wells. Good question, will make sure I will get that question in!

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
No.

Kevin Oprey is indeed Capt of rhe QM2 at the moment. I spoke with him last week and he told me he was surprised to get command of the flagship as it was his first Cunard command. He was sure he would be given one of the other Queens. A very pleasant guy.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin Oprey is indeed Capt of rhe QM2 at the moment. I spoke with him last week and he told me he was surprised to get command of the flagship as it was his first Cunard command. He was sure he would be given one of the other Queens. A very pleasant guy.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

For the sake of clarity, Oprey may be the current master on QM2 but my answer was given on December 8th when it was still Chris Wells who I believe took the ship down to Madeira etc after I got off on the 4th. They probably changed on December 15th in Southampton.

For the sake of clarity, Oprey may be the current master on QM2 but my answer was given on December 8th when it was still Chris Wells who I believe took the ship down to Madeira etc after I got off on the 4th. They probably changed on December 15th in Southampton.

Quite right Cap'n! Apologies for missing the date. They did indeed change on the 15th Dec and Capt Oprey was happy but surprised to be in command!

Quite right Cap'n! Apologies for missing the date. They did indeed change on the 15th Dec and Capt Oprey was happy but surprised to be in command!

I don't understand why he would say that, he has been in command of the QM2 regularly during the last 15 months or so. :confused:

I don't understand why he would say that, he has been in command of the QM2 regularly during the last 15 months or so. :confused:

He was referring to his move to Cunard when he was given command of the QM2 as his first Cunard ship and he still can't believe his luck! Didn't I say that previously? You must be very bored today! ;)

Sorry Captain. Oprey took over the QM2 on 4th Dec and was master of the ship until it returned to UK on 15th Dec. I was on the ship and had the good fortune to visit the Bridge.

I understand that Chris Wells was due to take over for the transatlantic crossing.

Foxy

Archived